PDA

View Full Version : The game view – it ought to be in 3D !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Henrik
07-12-2003, 03:25
Hi

As i understand it and as far as I can see, the game view will be in an isometric view and that can/will give players a lot of troubles !

What have you planned to do about units which get “lost” behind buildings ?

This is one of the major annoyances players have, and it is also the main reason to, why I hate that type of game view.

It would have been nice if the game view had been in 3D with free “floating” camera. That is one thing I really miss in these types of games.

The best examples, in my opinion, of this free floating camera was used in the game called Warzone 2100

I think that you should consider this option in KOH 2 !! ;)

vanedor
07-12-2003, 03:55
"I think that you should consider this option in KOH 2 !! "

That's not a simple option to implement and the game is just too advanced to do such a dramatical change.

But anyways, 2d got its advantages. Buildings and units tend to be more detailed, humans feel more natural.

Just, for example, compare a 2d castle of KoH http://www.knights-of-honor.net/gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0053.jpg with the 3d one of Lords of the Realm 3 http://www.lords3.com/img/large/screen2.jpg... personally, I prefer the feel of the 2d. And they certainly planned something concerning the units hidden behind the buildings.

Elewyn
07-12-2003, 10:57
Originally posted by vanedor
"I think that you should consider this option in KOH 2 !! "

That's not a simple option to implement and the game is just too advanced to do such a dramatical change.

But anyways, 2d got its advantages. Buildings and units tend to be more detailed, humans feel more natural.

Just, for example, compare a 2d castle of KoH http://www.knights-of-honor.net/gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0053.jpg with the 3d one of Lords of the Realm 3 http://www.lords3.com/img/large/screen2.jpg... personally, I prefer the feel of the 2d. And they certainly planned something concerning the units hidden behind the buildings.

Yea. There's no doubt about which is better;) :cheers:

Adaon
07-12-2003, 11:19
Totally agree.

Besides, KoH would surely take another two years of delay just because all units and buildings, the map, etc would have to be redone three-dimensional. Not even mentioning the kind of computer you would need to display a fully three-dimensional map like KoH it has with all units and buildings, because I understood the change from one game-view in another that you just "zoom in" on the theater battlefield. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The "getting lost behind building" can happen in 3D too, anyways. I am sure they already have a solution for that, like rendering all hidden units with some kind of visible-through-everything frame, like it has been done before in games like Age of Empires.

Personally, I still think 2D gives you more beautiful and detailed graphics in strategy-games. Just think of all the lovely, lifelike animated tiny soldiers in Sudden Strike! Never seen anything like that in 3D...

Arjenvs
07-12-2003, 11:43
I have never understood why people liked the 3D games more......I really hate them.....ugly game graphics....(look at the example given from lords3....ugly in comparison to KoH or Stronghold......)

And besides I like the isomatric view...because it´s more of a constant view....better much better!!!!:cheers:

Greeny
07-12-2003, 14:01
Eww! 3D, me piss on 3D :D

Henrik
07-12-2003, 15:31
I’ll agree with you that the castle in Lords 3 don’t look good – it look like it sorta ”floats” on top of the surface, but that’s just because of the poor graphic style that they have chosen. I personally don’t like most of the graphic in that game. But I think that the screenshot where you see the troops walking in the forest and go across streams looks great.

So all in all, I think that the optimum solution would be the graphic of KOH combined with a nice 3D engine like these two screenshots, but that’s just my little wish.

KOH (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/knightsofhonor/screens.html?page=45)

Lords 3 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/lordsoftherealm3/screens.html?page=15)

There is no doubt in my mind that KOH will be a better game even through I will miss the 3D graphic.

Angryminer
07-12-2003, 15:54
I only possess a GF4 Ti4200 - and I'm glad that such detailed grafics like in KoH weren't realized in 3D - because I'd have to upgrade my GFX-board.

(Ever tried viewing such a detailed europe-map in 3D? in Realtime? Maybe possible in 3 years or such...)

Oh, btw:
2D ownz!
(okay, I myself programm little openGL-3d-demos with vertex-shaders and such, but I always thought of creating a 2D-engine)

Angryminer
exaggerating

Elewyn
07-12-2003, 16:17
I think there's no need to have 3D graphics, because I guess it's impossible to have graphics as good as KoH have in 3D.

rado907
07-12-2003, 18:43
2D is good as far as I'm concerned.
----
also the 2d arts guy is I think very good. the game looks terrific.

Greeny
07-12-2003, 19:19
Is it just me or does KoH look alot better than Lords3?

Henrik
07-12-2003, 19:36
Originally posted by Elewyn
I think there's no need to have 3D graphics, because I guess it's impossible to have graphics as good as KoH have in 3D.

I'm sorry, but i can't agree with you on that one :)

I think that when it comes to 3D graphic it all comes down to the which textures you use.

Please have a look :)

3D midieval houses (http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSearch/istSearchKey/medieval)

and

3D castles (http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSearch/istSearchKey/castle)

Arjenvs
07-12-2003, 19:39
Originally posted by Greeny
Is it just me or does KoH look alot better than Lords3?

It sure does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Henrik......I saw these two pics.....what is your point....3D view with graphics like we see in KoH...are not yet possible !!!!! simple because of the fact that when you want to see the units all around...then the graphic engine is different....you see it in the pictures....not only less nice too see....but just very very different.....just like every other stupid 3D game......:D

Gorgoroth
08-12-2003, 14:31
If I have to choose that which one to buy...I would buy KoH instead of lords 3. :)
I prefer 2d/isometric in strategy games. :cool:

Henrik
08-12-2003, 15:00
Originally posted by Gorgoroth
If I have to choose that which one to buy...I would buy KoH instead of lords 3. :)
I prefer 2d/isometric in strategy games. :cool:

Hi

I’m gonna buy’em both i think

Btw’ I’ll also see another drawback when 2D along with zoom abilities and that is that thing will start to look like they were made from Lego blocks :(

When we talk about 3D I think that it is just a matter of getting the right 3D engine to do the job. Maybe an engine like the one which is used in Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat cause this baby is able to handle huge maps :cool:

I also think that you may be misunderstanding me a little – it’s not that I prefer to look every soldier over shoulder in battle. I would be satisfied with the ability to zoom into where the size of the soldiers and buildings are today in KOH. So we are not talking about the zoom levels of games like Shogun and similar :)

vanedor
08-12-2003, 20:39
"Btw’ I’ll also see another drawback when 2D along with zoom abilities and that is that thing will start to look like they were made from Lego blocks "

The question is do I really need and want to zoom in?

I played Age of Wonder II for several months, and just discovered, by hazzard not long ago, the feature to zoom. After trying it, I quickly returned the zoom to the normal setting. It was, imo, a perfectly useless feature.

I don't know for you, but I think that the zoom feature lot of games got is more an eye candy than anything else for strategy games where you don't need to get close to the action. For example, in ground control, a 3d futuristic rts, having the possibility to play with the camera just confused me more than anything else. Black and White never really hooked me because of this camera stuff.

"Maybe an engine like the one which is used in Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat cause this baby is able to handle huge maps"

Yeah, but not many troop. The size I don't think these engines could support several hundred men at once. And you also need to think... what do you want in 3d? Just the combat a la shogun or everything, as they seem to want to do it in Lords3? And, anyways, for tactical battles, shogun map size is imo perfect. It's not as if Archers could shoot three kilometers away.

Henrik
08-12-2003, 20:48
aaaaaaaallllllright i surrender :D

But i still thing that it would be nice if we could rotate 4 x 90 deg. - at least give me that one ;)

Elewyn
08-12-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by Henrik
aaaaaaaallllllright i surrender :D

But i still thing that it would be nice if we could rotate 4 x 90 deg. - at least give me that one ;) I know nothinng about programating, but I'm sure it's too late to change sth as essential as graphic is. If not, it would be waste of time, because there can be more interesting things to be developed. And it will only destroy that wonderfull grapghics KoH has. The game will look slightly different in 3D and it's not needed for strategy game like this one.

Lord Nicko
08-12-2003, 22:52
Q: What graphics engine does this game use?

Vesselin: The engine is tailored to the concept of Knights of Honor and it’s based on Black Sea Studios’ technology that we call CBL. The engine features 2D anti-aliased images, 3D terrain and a pretty wide selection of on-screen and in-screen effects.

--------------
I totally agree with others and what the devs have implemented.

2D anti-aliased images & 3D terrain looks the best!

I've played other games where they use 3D images and features and I dont like them- also 3d games are made for those who have super computers, which most of us dont have!

2D rules!

Henrik
09-12-2003, 00:15
Originally posted by Lord Nicko
Q: What graphics engine does this game use?

I totally agree with others and what the devs have implemented.

2D anti-aliased images & 3D terrain looks the best!

I've played other games where they use 3D images and features and I dont like them- also 3d games are made for those who have super computers, which most of us dont have!

2D rules!

What exactly do mean when you talk about a super computer ?

I for one don’t consider my computer as a super computer

A few spec.

CPU Amd 1400 mhz.
Ram 512 mb.
Video card GF4 Ti4200 128 mb.
40 Gb. Harddrive

Do any of you ?