PDA

View Full Version : Battle in single player is a sham! SPOILER!

Petwin, Duke of Earl
26-10-2004, 12:46
WARNING SPOILER!

I win ALL my battles and I normally NEVER lose a single soldier. How?
(small text in color, so you can't read the spoiler by 'accident')

1- Use only ranged units
2- Let your knight-unit walk in front of the enemy and lead them to a corner. Half of the squads will follow your knight
3- When they get to close, walk to another corner
4- Use your 9 ranged squads to corner the enemy knight unit
5- Kill the knight unit, battle won

That's how!

Will this be fixed in the patch?

Arcador
26-10-2004, 13:28
Yep, it is an issue (many games have it, I've seen a friend of mine wins a battle on Rome, 1:10 because of such flaw...anyway it is not an exucuse), maybe they must make the AI consider units that damage the squad more dangerous (thus attack them) than the running knight.
I've used the knights myself that way too (knowing some of the enemy rushes towards them)

other flaw is that you can kill enemy marshals with balistas sometimes too easy.

Noldy
26-10-2004, 14:55
Yeah, I already realised that mass ranged units were too overpowered. But it will be fixed, apparently.

Arcador
26-10-2004, 20:37
yes remember the -archer overall hit raito is reduced or somelike change in the patch.

Cro_Knight
27-10-2004, 04:35
well thats just good strategy not a cheat just another way to win the battle ok>???

Arcador
27-10-2004, 10:05
Well, if many archers cannot be stoped by enything, it is overpowered and need rebalancing.

Nike
27-10-2004, 10:09
Many archers>many footmen
Many archers=many archers

And it is a stupid strategy! If you want to make circles - go to the stadium! Atleast you'll do some sports...

kmadj
28-10-2004, 03:10
In real life during those times an archer would not have been able to shoot more than a couple of times before he was over run that is why archers were always used in support. Also they shoot only before melee units were engaged and not during the engagement unless they wish to kill their own people too!!!
Finally arrows hardly penetrated chainmails or plate because they were made of Iron and not Steele, (Steele was too expensive for a one time use such as in arrows) at least not until later years when Steele was cheaper to manufacture.
I think these facts should have been known to the dev team and incorporated into the game.
But for the purpose of this game I think the Archers should cause very litter damage to well-armored troops but devastating damage to the less protected ones.

dearmad
28-10-2004, 05:44
It's things like this and the diplomacy and other AI problems that disappoint me most about the game... we waited a long time. And it's just not balanced very well.

MADPADDY
28-10-2004, 13:26
It seems that somepeople dont know there history the English longbow archers were feared all over the medievil world for there skill,most english armys of the period were made of anything upto 50% archers In the war with the french,the french feared and hated the english longbow men so much if they were taken alive they chopped off the index and middle fingers so they could not use them again to fire a bow.This is whare the english insult of sticking 2 fingers up (IE the index and middle finger) at people came from.

Cro_Knight
29-10-2004, 02:15
even william wallace feared the longbowman and its an honor to show what a prsense they were on the battle field and usely i wont take that much time on the battle i will rush the enemy and hope they surrender that is usely the best against militia and rebels or a fatigued knight

Arcador
29-10-2004, 08:59
Madpady is right.Those English Bowmen were very elite, their eqipment was at very high cost for an archer, they got very long range and high penetration and some steel will , since this bow required very solid strengh to pull.
Anyway making the lonbow such strong dudes will make the game imbalanced, that's why they change so much units.

kmadj
31-10-2004, 21:49
It seems that somepeople dont know there history the English longbow archers were feared all over the medievil world for there skill,most english armys of the period were made of anything upto 50% archers In the war with the french,the french feared and hated the english longbow men so much if they were taken alive they chopped off the index and middle fingers so they could not use them again to fire a bow.This is whare the english insult of sticking 2 fingers up (IE the index and middle finger) at people came from.

I think you watch too much movie, my friend . . .
Longbow men legend is more of a myth than factual, even thought they were superior to regular bow men due to their long range and accuracy they were not the real reason for the defeat of French by the King Henry’s peasant army
The French cavalry/nobility cumbersome under heavy weight of their plate armored were defeated because they charged in great numbers within a narrow corridor that was full of mud after a day of heavy rain thus most of them were rushed on top of one another "//|||" and got stuck in the mud were either suffocated or slaughtered by outnumbered English peasants. These are all new discovers and well documented, please look them up. Cheers :)

HKFlash
31-10-2004, 22:09
And remember that the french knights also commited the mistake of charging too early and blowing up their own crossbowmen. Sad french tactics. :rolleyes:

Petwin, Duke of Earl
31-10-2004, 23:49
Guys (I never see any girls here),

It's not a big surprise that Sunflowers made the ranged units too powerfull, the first time around.
A decade ago I played the KOEI-games with only big archer armies. Playing Shogun:TW I massacred armies with only a few archer squads (the maps with bridges were especially bloody), and in Medieval:TW they still hadn't solved the puzzle. I haven't played Rome:TW yet, but I'm not expecting the AI to throw his expensive Light Cavalry into my cheap spearmen and archer formations. I see 3 solutions:

1- Slower rate of fire, so non-ranged can get near the archers without much losses (not very realistic, is it?)
2- Lower hit probability for arrows (also not very realistic, but I'm afraid that's what the patch will bring us)
3- A more brutal AI, one that understands that it has to take losses to get near the archers (can this be done, Sunflowers?)