PDA

View Full Version : Map/campaign-editor

Angryminer
10-12-2003, 11:40
Another short question from the [ACME] Mining Corp:

Is it already clear if there will be a map/campaign-editor at release-date or even before?

Angryminer

Cork2
10-12-2003, 17:59
Yes, for multiplayer there is also a map generator. Put in some settings and it will create a map.

Angryminer
10-12-2003, 18:48
Not generator, editor... That usefull and normaly total un-understandable thingy where you can place trees and units and buildings on a wide map and make a heightscale, so that there are hills and things, you know?
Maybe a campaign-editor, too. Then you would be able to do some historical-orientated campaigns, where you'd be able to play a ruler (even a knight) and play through a real story (with talking people and things...).
(Because the normal campaign of KoH lacks such scripted events and a real story - i like that, but it would be nice to be able to make a scripted story)

Is it clearer now?

Angryminer

Henrik
10-12-2003, 20:19
Yeah it would sure prolong the lastability of the game - give us a mapeditor like the one found in AOK

Dobber
10-12-2003, 20:59
I am very much in favor of an editor also! So please have one in the game!

LordMatthias
10-12-2003, 21:00
This is a huge question for me, as I've been designing a fansite with a dedication to custom maps, the old "do one thing and do it well philosophy". I've run sites before that tried to do everything, and couldn't manage it all :)

I'm programming it with the standard upload/downloads, as well as a rating and comments system, and I'm working hard to code a system to compress multiple maps into a single .zip file, a la "map packs", but this is still in the early stages.

I really can't go too much further without knowing if there will be a map editor. Well, I know there's a map generator, and possibly an editor, but I don't know the details ;)

Henrik
10-12-2003, 22:43
Correct me if i'm wrong. You say that you can't make a site when you don't know whether or not KOH has a map editor included ???? - well, can't you just make the site so it's supports other maps instead/also.

IMHO it's a waste of time to make a site that supports something that you, and the rest of us in this community don't really know whether they will include or not include - can't you just wait a few month and maybe we will know by then.

When you site is finished I'll hope you'll let us know :)

Cork2
11-12-2003, 02:25
Originally posted by Angryminer
Not generator, editor... That usefull and normaly total un-understandable thingy where you can place trees and units and buildings on a wide map and make a heightscale, so that there are hills and things, you know?
Maybe a campaign-editor, too. Then you would be able to do some historical-orientated campaigns, where you'd be able to play a ruler (even a knight) and play through a real story (with talking people and things...).
(Because the normal campaign of KoH lacks such scripted events and a real story - i like that, but it would be nice to be able to make a scripted story)

Is it clearer now?

Angryminer

I know what a map editor is and as far as we know there is only a map generator, which is kinda like a map editor except your not the one placing the stuff.

Ivan The Terrible
11-12-2003, 02:44
i read in the interview that a map editor will be downloable after the release of the game. Am I wrong? there was also said that new knights, maps and different other things will be possible to download after the complete release to make game more playable and so on.

Hope i am not mistaken.

BTW how do i place an avatar?

Lord Nicko
11-12-2003, 05:58
Originally posted by Ivan The Terrible
BTW how do i place an avatar?

Hmm what doesn your question mean? place it! place it where?
An avatar in this forum is a graphic that represents you. From what i can tell you have already chosen one!

Maybe you mean smilies- just select one from the smilies box when your typing or if you no the code type it :)

Emhyr var Emreis
11-12-2003, 10:13
Sorry, Ivan, don't want to offend you, but you look really terrible;)
:cheers:

Lord Nicko
11-12-2003, 12:21
Originally posted by Emhyr var Emreis
Sorry, Ivan, don't want to offend you, but you look really terrible;)
:cheers:

Just a well fed King I think :D

Angryminer
11-12-2003, 14:54
From http://pc.ign.com/articles/445/445693p2.html :

We've not yet heard if the team will include a version of their battle or terrain editor with the game. They'd like to include these items; the main issue preventing their inclusion would be if the team can't provide a convenient enough version of the tools.

Angryminer

LordMatthias
11-12-2003, 16:26
Originally posted by Henrik
Correct me if i'm wrong. You say that you can't make a site when you don't know whether or not KOH has a map editor included ???? - well, can't you just make the site so it's supports other maps instead/also.

IMHO it's a waste of time to make a site that supports something that you, and the rest of us in this community don't really know whether they will include or not include - can't you just wait a few month and maybe we will know by then.

When you site is finished I'll hope you'll let us know :)
Yes, the site code will be portable to fit any game, it's mainly the design that would be wasted on a map-centric site.

As to your second comment, that was exactly my point, I would really hate to go full bore into a design for a game, only to later find out there won't be any custom maps available because there's no editor. That's why I said it's such a huge question for me. I'd like the official reassurance , although I'm sure I won't see it any time soon, seeing as how far away the game is from going gold.

Luckily, this is a hobby that I enjoy in my spare time, so once most of my back end coding is done, I will start a design, if it goes to waste, then at least I had fun. Also, I've got a design stuck in my head already, I've got a few layers in photoshop already layed out ;)

This game just looks damn interesting and I want to contribute to the community, but on an easily managable basis, therefore a map-centric site. It's been almost 2 years since I've found a game worth supporting (imho) via a fansite, last time I ran a fairly popular website for Stronghold, I had zero programming experience and relied on premade scripts, a la phpBB. While that was ok, the map database was unmanagable, even with 4 staff members, so now everything will be dynamic and the user login system will be tied in with the map database and forums. I'm coding the forums myself, so don't expect something as fancy as VB, it's likely to be a simple threaded board.

I'll certainly post the site when it goes live :)

Cork2
11-12-2003, 19:41
Originally posted by Ivan The Terrible
i read in the interview that a map editor will be downloable after the release of the game. Am I wrong? there was also said that new knights, maps and different other things will be possible to download after the complete release to make game more playable and so on.

Hope i am not mistaken.

I hope your not mistaken either. I would like to download new knights and maps and maby make my own maps and submit them to the website for people to download.

Henrik
11-12-2003, 22:46
Originally posted by LordMatthias
Yes, the site code will be portable to fit any game, it's mainly the design that would be wasted on a map-centric site.
I'll certainly post the site when it goes live :)

Hi LordMatthias

Keep on coding coz it really sounds interesting - I really look forward to see your work :) and I do hope that other members of this forum feels the same way.