PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Vassals?

Firkaag
04-11-2004, 14:38
I have been beating up on Ireland for the quiet a while now and I got him to be my vassal. Besides getting half his gold, is there really any benefit to having vassals? Should I just give Ireland it's independence and take over the towns? I tried to find info on vassals in the posts but could not find one that answered this question..
Thanks

Elvain
04-11-2004, 15:05
I agree with you that vassalage should be little more developed. Some special actions in style of "invoke alliance" but also with some positive actions and demands to help aggainst certain kingdom.
if the vassal or souvereign/oppresor doesn't folow souvereigns/oppressors or vassals demands, he should suffer higher penalty than if any other kingdom asks him to.

Firkaag
04-11-2004, 16:30
Yeah, if all they are doing is giving me money, I might as well just conquer them and get all the benefits of the cities.. Don't I also have to provide protection for them as well if they are my vassals? Doesn't sound worth it at all..

NoC Lord Fire
05-11-2004, 00:32
Think of it like this...Supouse you allready have 20 provinces. You have problem with controling them all. Some little country declares war on you. You can conquer in a hart beat however do you really need 4 more provinces....NO..so you make them as vasals and get them of your back

Firkaag
05-11-2004, 20:54
Good point! I am probably going to stop my wars and get my cities in order. Then I will grant my vassal independence and take them over. I still an not sure if having vassals are worth it.. Maybe this needs more work from the devs..

Largefry07
06-11-2004, 02:17
Good point! I am probably going to stop my wars and get my cities in order. Then I will grant my vassal independence and take them over. I still an not sure if having vassals are worth it.. Maybe this needs more work from the devs..
Your kingdom Power will drop when you grant their independence.

NoC Lord Fire
07-11-2004, 01:17
I like to have vassals. I jsut feal great to see all that countries paying me tribute :D

Largefry07
07-11-2004, 02:49
Something I just discovered that is problly the biggest plus for having a vassel is if you have a spy as a mertchant in their court, than your spy can annex the entire nation to you.

Cro_Knight
07-11-2004, 06:29
awsome that i guess is the only feature so far other then gettin gold but then again the game is randomized

Sir Turylon
09-11-2004, 05:59
Your kingdom Power will drop when you grant their independence.

large, you hit on something that needs changing.

How can granting an opressed kingdom LOWER your prestige, which is what kingdom power is. This doe not make any sense... Punishing the player for choosing an HONORable course of action. Knights of Honor or Knights of Capitalism? :rofl: just had to.

Largefry07
10-11-2004, 01:46

How can granting an opressed kingdom LOWER your prestige, which is what kingdom power is. This doe not make any sense... Punishing the player for choosing an HONORable course of action. Knights of Honor or Knights of Capitalism? :rofl: just had to.
I thought Kingdon Power was the power over your kingdom. Power over your economy resulting in the increase income and it also adds to your overall power or score. This would then make perfect sense, your kingdom losing lands that pay tribute to you and are not fully indepented from you. This would then make your kingdom weaker and result in the lost of kingdom power.

Sir Turylon
10-11-2004, 07:16
If Kingdom Power really was a factor based on control over your own country, breaking foreign alliances would not effect it. I think it has more to do with honor and respect rating.

Notice how honorable things do not lower it, and dishonorable things do. kinda weird.

Elvain
10-11-2004, 17:05

If Kingdom Power really was a factor based on control over your own country, breaking foreign alliances would not effect it. I think it has more to do with honor and respect rating.

Notice how honorable things do not lower it, and dishonorable things do. kinda weird
I must say this is very true. Granting independence is very honourable act. It's true that it is not only positive act. By granting independency you can show two things. Either you don't feel strong enough to keep vassal (but then your vassal should logically feel strong enough claim independency by himself?) or you are very honourable king. IMO, The second is more probable.

Your KP should drop only if you granted independency just to declare war...(for this case, ot's better to have spy infiltrating the kingdom and waiting to be hired as a merchant... with Byzantia I got at least 3 kingdoms with from 3 to 7 provinces very easily :)

Largefry07
10-11-2004, 22:32

Notice how honorable things do not lower it, and dishonorable things do. kinda weird.
It could be a combination of both.

Could one of the devs please explain exactly what kingdom Power really is?

Lord Sam
11-11-2004, 16:59
I think if you are a vassal or vassalize another province, you should automatically have trade agreements and an alliance. Drove me crazy in the demo as Bohemia as a vassal of Germany. They would not trade with me or make an alliance. I got trounced several times by Poland and Hungary because of this! Should be more benefits in Vassalage.

Sir Turylon
12-11-2004, 07:30
well... When you claim independancy, you also lose a crapload of KP.

Granting it to a nation should not make your Honor drop. I've noticed that when you do grant it, your attitude skyrockets with that country, but your KP drops according to the size. Bah devs. just plain bah! :nono:

Largefry07
14-11-2004, 05:05
Another thing I think that needs to be reworked is being able to declare war on you vassels without grant them indepedence and lose KP then delcare war on them and lose more KP.

weaz
17-11-2004, 16:30
It sounds logical that you lose kingdompower if you declare war on your vassals.

Lord Elric
19-11-2004, 18:27
But it does not sounds logical if you are not able to invoke your vassal's military forces when you are at war. In the middle ages when going to war kings gather all their vassals and used their military force.
Now it reminds me that at a time, even mighty Byzantia was a vassal to Bulgaria and was paying a tribute. But this is old glory.. now all is different :)