PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this game gets old FAST.

Pages : [1] 2

GUN HOAT
06-11-2004, 17:13
I remember when I first played Knights of Honor. I thought it was the best game I ever played; not until I realized how... boring it gets. Conquering one province after, no building ques, having revolts because my king died all the way on the other side of Europe, my allies making me choose yes or no to honor alliances, either choice lowering my kingdom power drastically, ruining the happiness level EVERYWHERE; I think you get the idea.

If only this game had a nice and simple little thing called a "zoom" feature, and the game was more like Age of Empires or Rise of Nations, where you can actually... WATCH the construction of buildings. If only there was armour upgrades, production upgrades, and so on. In my opinion SUNFLOWERS needs to patch this game BADLY, and add ALOT of new features to keep my or anyone elses interests in Knights of Honor. Don't get me wrong; I still think KoH is a great game. It just needs ALOT of work and ALOT of new features.

oanej
06-11-2004, 17:16
You're right it gets boring fast

OSDSET
06-11-2004, 20:16
no way its challenging me to win on MEDIUM its a great game
If you wanted to see a building being built and the such then go play the Age of series theres plenty of eyecandy there. I think Age of is Eyecandy with some gameplay stratergy and stuff but KOH is straterty gameplay with eyecandy.
i rest my case (4now)

Alex Poff
06-11-2004, 21:29
I like this game, but I agree, for some reason it does seem to "get old fast", as Gun Hoat put it. I am looking forward to the patch and hope that will help. In the meantime, while I wait for the patch, I have picked up another new game called Castle Strike. It is an RTS castle building game in 3D where you MUST have siege weapons to take down a castle! It's just been released in North America (late October) and is a lot of fun, much like Age of Empires, but with some nice twists. The interface takes a little getting used to, but that's just because it is a little bit different, nothing wrong with it. One of the unique things about this game is the mounted unit. You can build a stable and do upgrades within the stable, but the horses are actually trained from the "workshop", the same place where the siege engines are built. Then, you can send particular units to the stable where they will "mount up" and then have an increased attack value - there are no particular mounted units that you can train directly. That means you send either foot swordsmen or foot archers or foot pikemen to the stable and they actually climb up onto the horse and voila! they are now mounted! They also have "heroes" that can be built which have better values (hit points, attack, endurance, etc) and you can group soldiers with this hero (CTRL +1 for example) and all the soldiers in this group now get his bonus, plus you can form a specific type of "banner" that the hero and his group fight under, which gives either a greater offensive, defensive or endurance bonus. You can charge by double clicking, but this can only happen for a while, because their endurance will fade, as well, their endurance fades as they continue to fight, so fresh troops are always a good thing. The sense of realism with the soldiers available is amazing. You actually see heavy crossbowman fire, then bend down on one knee and turn their backs to the enemy to re-wind their crossbows. These units carry large shields that ride on their back, so that while they are re-winding their bows, they have a measure of protection from attack! Truly, a very interesting game.!

Alex

the knightly sword
06-11-2004, 23:49
Well thats true i 2 get the same feeling im waiting for the patch it better be soon because im burning my *** of.

NoC Lord Fire
07-11-2004, 00:55
Idea is excelen, however it needs a lot of improvements

Jabbe
07-11-2004, 21:30
This is my first post. Sorry if things don't look like I want it should be.

Just want to say how I agree with Gun Hoat. I had the same feelings: first there was a very strong (nearly fatal) attraction, but after playing several times the demo, and already during my second attempt on the hard level, I am number 1 in almost every category of the ranking. And still... I have so much provinces to conquer, so much rebellions here and there, the same questions coming from the other kingdoms, etc. At last, everything becomes so easy to predict, so mechanical, and gaming becomes working. Nevertheless, I believe this is still a good game, but it urgently needs a good patch.

To Alex Poff: I am not so interested in tactical combats, but I believe the idea of the mounted units could already be found in the Chinese game "Three Kingdoms".

Alfard
07-11-2004, 23:11
This is my first post. Sorry if things don't look like I want it should be
Welcome, it looks great :hello:

I believe this is still a good game, but it urgently needs a good patch.
We all hope for it.

TheSaint
08-11-2004, 01:27
Well bout time the rest of the forum caught up!!!. It could have been the best medevil game of all time but the guys ruined it by omitting the ZOOM feature.
I hope they consider it now that the public has spoken!!
Or else go buy mine on ebay for $15

Sir Turylon
08-11-2004, 08:34
You know what one major flaw of KoH is? The lack of multiple playing fields.

I do like how they have randomized the kingdom resources, starting bonuses.... The different starting times is another great addition.... The spreading of units is also another nice addition... But..... the single campaign seems to be limiting it. Much like how if Civilization 3 only came with the world map. How boring would that be? Knowing where everything is beforehand. The randomizing of maps would be strange in KoH... But not the inclusion of more than one "campaign map." What about a recreation of the 100 years war? Or better yet the Crusades. Or the rise of the Frankish Empire... or Unification of German states? The possibilites would be endless... as well as adding on YEARS to the game's life.

Just my $1.20 Canadian.

Maizena
08-11-2004, 20:18
i can do nothing but agree.
I like the idea of the game a hell lot, the concept is wonderful. However, it definately needs improvements, and lots of em.
More features and a dramatically improved AI are the things i miss most (hihi and the zoom ;) ).
But a nice game it still is.

Grallon
08-11-2004, 23:12
Amen !

Let Sunflower have a look at Crusader Kings from Paradox if they're searching for ideas. This is certainly what I expected from the game when I ordered it from England: CK with a better interface and more interactivity. Alas that it is not.

As for whoever said he was finding difficult playing at medium... well that must be your first game because all you need to do is sign peace with everyone at the begining, built up, crank out a couple of armies, and get going. A few hours later the map will be your color - end game !

The most annoying thing is to see a small 2 province duchy attack my sprawling 45 provinces (5 armies / +5 stability / 200k treasurt) empire not once but every 3 minutes. Why ? Oh because its ally told it to... And that is WHILE being at war with 28 other kingdoms... :rolleyes:

So all you need to do is build upand swallow one province after another.

G.

Lord Elric
09-11-2004, 12:35
It does get boring fast, but I don't think that adding zoom and other eye-candies will make it more interesting. After all what are you playng games for. To watch your workers dragging bricks, stones and timber or to entertain yourselves with the idea what would be if you ruled an empire. AOE is pretty much the standart RTS game where the formula is "build a base, build a HUGE army, and go to visit your neighbor to see if he is doing well". That is what is boring. Type of "destroy your mouse by clicking" game. Well.. KOH needs some improvements definetely, but not in the graphics but in the gameplay. So stop complaining with "oh.. gimme zoom please. Gimme gimme...". There are other improvements that personally I would like to see than having a zoom feature.

GUN HOAT
10-11-2004, 00:11
I disagree Lord Elric - what made the AoE, AoM (Age of Mythology), RoN (Rise of Nations) games good was watching what was going on in the game. Eye candy makes the game interesting or else you might as well just be clicking "accept" or "decline" the whole time; adding new things to look at instead of grass, mountains and small representations of cities would make the game more fun to play. After all, a game needs to be fun; not a chore - "Oh no! My alliance with France is ruined!! ;( . My best marshal got called on a crusade!! NO!! :angry: ."

Something really stupid SUNFLOWERS did was make Knights of Honor seem like Age of Empires, in the aspect that you can see each individual building and your citzens, etc. (see 90% of the screenshots in media section). Thats probably one of the reasons so many people want a zoom feature and want to be able to see whats going on instead of a status bar that says something is being built.

Lord Elric
10-11-2004, 12:11
The question is what do you get by watching your buildings in the process of construction? It adds nothing to the gameplay. A zoom-out in the battle-mode would be much more useful, because of allowing you to see the entire battlefielad as well as the castle, but not a zoom-in. I don't know if you ever played Lords Of The Realm 2 game.Just a map with walking troops on it and a bird-view real-time battles. Yet it was a great game. I personally judge a game not by it's view, but by the feeling it leaves in me. And from that point of view I don't think that a zoom-in is necessary. And there is one more reason. As I can see the game is made to load the entire europe map into it's memory and that is no small thing.It would require much more system resources to have a zoom-in and showing all the buildings that are done at the current moment. And yes there are enough system resources for that on most of the computers, but why making a 2D having requirements as you would run DOOM 3 on this computer.

GUN HOAT
10-11-2004, 20:24
The question is what do you get by watching your buildings in the process of construction? My answer - I get entertained.

lt1956
11-11-2004, 02:08
Simple to please, eh? :rolleyes:

GUN HOAT
11-11-2004, 23:16
Yeah, and thats what Knights of Honor used to be able to do.

thorpemark
16-11-2004, 01:47
Chess is interesting and challenging with the same map and with zero eye candy.. okay, you can buy a Lord of the Rings chess set I suppose.

The point is.. what makes a strategy game interesting is the variety of strategies employed by the opponent. And if the AI ****s or its choices are so limited or that the choices have no real affect.. then the game ****s.

Think of all those early RTS games.. multiplayer.. tank rush, serg rush.. my how that ****s. Eye candy or not. A game with one solution, one strategy that beats all comers? ****y. Even rock-scissors-paper has three viable choices... but in these games you get to see if the opponent is going for paper...

Since I just ordered this game, I certainly hope this ends up being untrue. I am waiting for a patch for Paradox's CK and now the more I read these baords the less confident I become about my purchase.

so sad.

rujikin
28-11-2004, 22:08
Part of the reason it is to easy is cause you people don't form an army at the very start of the game and attack soon as you have an army full of villagers... I do it on the demo and it is a lot harder

But even on medium on the demo the game AI does **** -.- they attack villages instead of the castles.. they get out of their fortifyed castle to attack me who is camped and fortifyed...