PDA

View Full Version : I just love this game

sabuesillo
11-11-2004, 17:59
Ok, ok, after many years of playing most of the historical and sometimes semi-historical RTS games out there, from the very beginning, that is WARCRAFT1, thru Age of Empires, AOK, Rise of Nations,, Empire Earth, Starcraft, Cossacks, etc,etc, etc. some of which i really enjoyed,I am happy to discover SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Because what's the use of complaining that one can't see how the buildings are built in KOH, if the scope of the game is different than the above mentioned? If you like seeing how buildings are built then you should concentrate on the empire building games such as Caesar, Sim city etc.

KOH actually is all that games such as EUROPA UNIVERSALIS tried to be but never made it for me because of the ugly graphics.

The game combines a RTS STRATEGY GAME (much better than the strategic game found in things like Medieval Total War and Rise of Nations, for example) withthe TACTICAL/OPERATIONAL RTS BATTLE GAME.

Regarding the strategy game view, I find the graphics and operative outstanding, beautiful, fantastic. The Tactical view is a bit more "normal", but still so has many beautiful features such as seeing the people working and doing stuff in the villages and settlements.

There are several types of military situations recreated, which I find gives a lot of variety to the game: castle siege and assault or defense, entrenched camp attack/defense, naval invasions in the enemy's rearguard , and of course the plain battle field battle.

There are many many kingdoms to choose from, each placed in a different part of the map and with different strategical and economical situations.

Sure, one can find things that can and should be improved. I just don't see for example why one should hace a limit on the number of marshall slots, because the limit should be as many as one can support depending on how large your kingdom is.
There are many little other things, for example if an enemy has one of my marshalls prisoner, and then i sign a peace treaty with that enemy, he should release it not still retain him asking for money.

I hope that they implement Multiplayer for the strategic mode, and eventually build more on the AI so that the solo tactical battles are a bit more challeging.

But I think this game as it is is a totally new experience, and graphically and technically a great success that guarantees many hours of pleasure for any RTS fanatic like me. :hello:

lt1956
11-11-2004, 21:01
If you were a little older or had a PC at that time you would have played the following which KOH is very close to. :cool:

Castles 2
Conqueror 1086AD
Lord of the Realm 2
Stronghold (Recent game)

sabuesillo
11-11-2004, 23:50
Well i am quite old and have been playing computer games since the Specytrum sinclair era, that is, since the home computing era began.
i have lived and worked in an era where there were no PCs at all in work places, for example.

So, I have to insist, if that's what you are arguing about, that the VERY FIRST RTS game I ever saw or played was WARCRAFT 1. By RTS I mean where you see these units moving around and fighting.

Sir Turylon
12-11-2004, 00:26
yeah, KoH is a great real-time game... but the strategic part is barely more advanced then AoE. The real strongpoint of the strategic portion is the limit of arrows your archers has. The knights are a unique introduction, but sadly lacking... Spy, Merchant, and Marshall seem to be all you need for ultimate victory. Diplomacy is very lacking, as is the value of alliances. anywho... 2 steps foward, 1 step back.

*goes off to play a strategy game from 2001*

GUN HOAT
15-11-2004, 22:43
Ummmm... THIS GAME ****S!

Pioneer
16-11-2004, 01:08
Why? How?

It is too easy pre-patch and diplomacy is very limited despite its apparent complexity. If the game is hard and diplomacy works as the diplomatic systems amply promised this game would be peerless.