PDA

View Full Version : Enemy spy became my king :(

billythegreat
20-11-2004, 00:24
Yesterday, conquering Europe with Wales i had a nasty surprise.My king :king: dies with no heir so my 5 stars cleric takes the thone.Nothing unsual or unseen.But my first suspicions that i had a spy in the royal court came when my king "accidentally" declares war to Hungary ( breaking alliance and all other pacts ), but no major drawback here.The big surprise came 5 minutes later when i saw my mighty empire handed over to Norway, remaining from 80 with just a lousy province ( Napoly) :silly: .Lucky for me , i reloaded the last autosave and with my king as a marchall ( with no other troops ) i layed siege to a hungarian castle, where the medieval 5 stars James Bond meat his doom.Gooooood riddance. :cheers: shaken and stirred.

From that moment when i need a new knight, i hire and fire 20-30 in row , the ultimate counterintelligence, the chance to hire a spy is slim.

Anybody else in this situation ?

Largefry07
20-11-2004, 05:17
Yesterday, conquering Europe with Wales i had a nasty surprise.My king :king: dies with no heir so my 5 stars cleric takes the thone.Nothing unsual or unseen.But my first suspicions that i had a spy in the royal court came when my king "accidentally" declares war to Hungary ( breaking alliance and all other pacts ), but no major drawback here.The big surprise came 5 minutes later when i saw my mighty empire handed over to Norway, remaining from 80 with just a lousy province ( Napoly) :silly: .Lucky for me , i reloaded the last autosave and with my king as a marchall ( with no other troops ) i layed siege to a hungarian castle, where the medieval 5 stars James Bond meat his doom.Gooooood riddance. :cheers: shaken and stirred.

From that moment when i need a new knight, i hire and fire 20-30 in row , the ultimate counterintelligence, the chance to hire a spy is slim.

Anybody else in this situation ?
I have fear this everytime my king has no heirs. In fact I had recently hired 2 clerics to convert and adopt provs. I had conquer. I had no heirs and my king was getting old. I fired my clerics as soon as their job was done and later my king had a son.

Cro_Knight
20-11-2004, 05:37
why do clerics precent sons

Lighthope
20-11-2004, 21:26
To make sure I don't get a spy on my court, I hire two spies of my own and build them up to five stars. I figure even if both are enemy spies, they'll eventually rat each other out. Then, whem I'm certain that one of the spies is not a spy himself, I let the other guy go and just have the one trusted spy now.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS: http://www.dwad.net
--== Give performance reviews of your boss: http://www.rateyourboss.org
--== Everlasting Films Call Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/everlastingfilms

Wamplet
20-11-2004, 23:40
Hehe, I had something similar happen last night with my Cleric. He was actually a spy and I Was Leinster, wiping out Munster. Munster was my vassal and then the bastard has the Cleric hand Leinster over to him and then immediately the lucky Cleric gets appointed as the POPE!@ Argh. I Was furious and managed to get my land back and then last night, an enemy spy caused a revolt for me as well. :(

I assign my prince/King as a Spy at the very beginning and the other as a Merchant. Then I make a ton of Knights and just pray. :D

Largefry07
21-11-2004, 06:26
Moat of the time my royal court isn't even full. The game I'm cerently play now I have counquer most of europe and only have to conquer 6 or 7 more nations. I have 2 open slots right now. I won't hire anything unless I have a spare prince but that is it. I desparately need cleric but I won't hire one b/c of the risk of a spy handing over the prov I'm converting. The bad thing about that is whenever I do have a spare prince and becomes cleric he is ganunteed to be the next pope so i never can keep a cleric.

billythegreat
21-11-2004, 12:14
Moat of the time my royal court isn't even full. The game I'm cerently play now I have counquer most of europe and only have to conquer 6 or 7 more nations. I have 2 open slots right now. I won't hire anything unless I have a spare prince but that is it. I desparately need cleric but I won't hire one b/c of the risk of a spy handing over the prov I'm converting. The bad thing about that is whenever I do have a spare prince and becomes cleric he is ganunteed to be the next pope so i never can keep a cleric.

If u already conqured most of the Europe u had already 150.000 gold or more, than u can afford to hire and fire 20- 30 knights in row, just to make sure that nobody is a spy.Not to mention that there are not very many enemies remaining on the map to send spies to you.

I always fill my royal court with marchalls cuz I need every one of them especially when my empire gets bigger, except one slot( first one on the left side ) where my king is the cleric.

Largefry07
22-11-2004, 22:43
If u already conqured most of the Europe u had already 150.000 gold or more, than u can afford to hire and fire 20- 30 knights in row, just to make sure that nobody is a spy.Not to mention that there are not very many enemies remaining on the map to send spies to you.

I always fill my royal court with marchalls cuz I need every one of them especially when my empire gets bigger, except one slot( first one on the left side ) where my king is the cleric.

I don't hire anybody b/c of the risk of a spy. And I wouldn't even dare to hire a marshall and let my armies rebel. This would be a huge blow to my kingdom b/c all of my marshalls are highly skilled and have 3 start experienced troops. If the armyies rebeled I would lose all of that.

Lord-Piecemeal
27-11-2004, 18:13
I keep a spy catcher in court all the time, upgraded as soon as I can, this seems to help.

But without sounding repetative, we need more spaces for all the courts Knights etc.

Cro_Knight
27-11-2004, 19:08
thats i good point maybe an added 5 and then a jail court where u can kill , get info on the enemy kingdom that is not displayed on there user thingy like what is there weakest kingdom or like that and u can ransom and convert them

thorpemark
29-11-2004, 17:53
Is that how you counter-spy? You just keep a great spy in your court? Do you use him as a govenor?

I have had real problems with spies and I think they are overpowered. Especially when they can turn all your marshalls into rebels in one fell swoop. That is simply a stupid result... and, of course, you just reload and try to dismiss the most likely spy... if he wasn't revelaed to you.

The two-spy thing is a good idea.

Alex Poff
29-11-2004, 22:55
Yes, I always keep a great spy in my court, but you don't necessarily need to have him governing a province to protect you.

FrankishKnight
14-12-2004, 16:50
Spies can govern cities without being assigned to a kingdom?

That's news to me. Spies are only counterspies when unattached. :-p

By the way: I always have two spies, one 5-star King ( I know I lose them, but I get like 100 books every turn, so what the hell ) and a normal 5-star one, who I send out to other countries.