PDA

View Full Version : I believe the AI cheats a little depending on your gameplay style

Deerheart
20-11-2004, 02:27
This post may be a little lengthy but worth checking out.

Someone on this board stated that the AI remembers your gameplay style and reacts accordingly. I believe this is the case. Conquered all of Europe on easy no problem for my first game. But for the second on normal difficulty the following occurred:

Tried to play the perfect game, that is "turtleing" by progressively upgrading all defences to the max on each Province, Catapault, Ballista and corner towers, full garrisons etc. where I worked using two armies in tandum backing each other up. After gaining about 60% of the whole territory Using the same the same knight line-up in the Court.

Suddenly I had two Kings in succession die without heirs. When the first died all of my Marshalls rebelled. I immediately cleared out the Court completely except for the Marshall King who was recalled. With just the King there I promoted four sets of Marshalls where each set rebelled in succession. This continued until I made the king a spy where no more marshalls were promoted. I had about 20 ex marshalls five of which were topped out with bonuses and seige equipment wandering around burning everything up.

Then some character not related to my Court was caught. Then I promoted two more junior marshalls and suddenly noticed that six Provinces recently taken had been taken over uncontested. Each a separate Kingdom and at war with me. Of course each was fully defenceable where I had only two junior marshalls with no seige equipment.

Back up now to four marshalls with lots of opportunity to gain experience. With the King as spy in place in Court, army rebellions have stopped and attrition by other Kingdoms has knocked off most of my rebelling ex-marshalls.

But I can't detect where the spies were coming from especially after I cleared out my Court. This I think is an example of how the AI adapts and even cheats a little, because this is contrary to the rules according to the manuel. My synopsis impression is that this is one Great! game. Even when you prepare to minimize any challenge, the AI still gives you one and turns all your preps against you. Many Cudo's to the Devs and writers of this program.

My question after all this is has anyone else had a similiar game experience?

billythegreat
20-11-2004, 10:45
I had the event but usually, all the marchalls rebel cuz ur last hired marchal was a spy, not related with ur king death.

Wamplet
20-11-2004, 23:34
I had the event but usually, all the marchalls rebel cuz ur last hired marchal was a spy, not related with ur king death.

Exactly. I believe the Marshalls all rebel only if an enemy spy is a marshall of yours and successfully provokes them.

I just learned that the hard way as well. Always have a spy in your court to sniff those guys out. ;)

Also, Next time I plan to let the king hang out in court and not go to war as a Marshall all day, as I normally allow. The guy desparately needed ****** or something, because he just wasn't making it happen, as he attacked towns. :D

The Mighty Sultan
21-11-2004, 04:12
I had a very hard earned Islamic Kingdom carved out of the Byzantine Empire, all converted to Islam and all heavily fortified and seemingly quite happy with my enlightened rule. Suddenly, my Cleric 'vanished' ( no reason given on screen!) and all of the ex-Christian provinces fragmented into little angry kingdoms. There didn't seem to be any specific reason for this, and on loading the game from the same point a few times, it appeared to be a random event, rather than one caused by anything I had done. Most strange. And very stressful (and fun!).

As for spies. I've adopted a policy of hiring a spy very early in the game, thus reducing the risk of soon-to-be hostile nations seeding my court with their own. Works very nicely, and by the time the other kingdoms really want you dead, your spy should be very experienced and well educated and able to rat-out traitors very quickly!.

Also, I've found that my Sultans and Kings do DO reproduce even when employed as marshals. It seems to take a long time before anything happens, but they tend to get their duty done eventually!.

OSDSET
28-11-2004, 19:20
@ The Mighty Sultan

your celric was a enermy spy and he did summin to make all the ex-chistians rebel and take back there land, then as any normal spy would do he just vanished. This also explanes why it was a random event.

Galthor
30-11-2004, 22:14
Hello Knights and Queens!

My problem - along with some other - is the AI. So far I tried the game with Norway, Hungary, Ottomans, Lithuania and Italy (difficulty was set to 'hard'). And the AI always played so ridiculous.

1, AI mostly - like 90% of the time - builds so simple units like swordsman, axeman, archers etc. even if the provinces he owns can produce man-at-arms, crossbowman, heavy cavalry etc. Or even if he can build 'tough' units he keeps building these (of course not all the time)

2, His armies "structure" (even if he produces strong units) of his armies is so bad, that you can win easily. Example 7 crossbowman and 2 light cavalry - this happened with me many times. Although crossbowman and heavy crossbowman are lethal they are simply easy to kill.

3, It happened a few times in battles, that his army didnt attack me - they were simply walking/running to the other part of the map and it was really easy to kil 'em all!

Do you guys have these or or similar problems? Any chance that the patch will fix these and the other problems posted in the others topics - or at least some of them?

Sorry if I typed anything wrong

I hope my problems suit this topic

Hail all!

Galthor

Webmaster
30-11-2004, 23:01
did you install the patch?
welcome to the board

Galthor
01-12-2004, 20:36
Downloading it at the moment! I hope it will help as much as we expect from it =>

Galthor