PDA

View Full Version : Patch Impressions

Irish
01-12-2004, 16:49
Please post your impressions of the patch here. Is the game now harder? Does the AI produce better units, etc....

ulfn
01-12-2004, 17:02
The game is definitely harder:

1) Exponential increase in Exotic Goods cost.
2) Very expensive to increase Kingdom Power when you have a lot of provinces (say 50 or more).
3) Random civil riots (people in close provinces join together) where you can loose a couple of provinces.
4) The Royal Court spy's espionage strength weakened considerably. Within three hours of play I got two of my kings assasinated by my own five-star spies! I was nearly given up play at that time... ;(

Arcador
01-12-2004, 20:09
is the AI smarter in town defending and stuff?

Ronin_Tms
02-12-2004, 00:37
I like the fact that when you plunder rural areas it now seems to take ALOT longer for them to rebuild. You can't assing a new marshal to razing the same 3 rural areas 3 times in a row to get his first few skill points quickly. It also makes economic warfare on a 1-2 state kingdom early game a very real option.

The huge increase in kingdompower cost is also excellent. Makes you think twice with whom you ally and if you REALLY want to brake agreements.

Elvain
02-12-2004, 09:00
I don't know yet, but I guess AI is stronger. I played Bohemia and GOT DEFEATED-it was impossible to gt money-nobody wanted to trade with me(I mean those kingdoms thet would worth it, those with 5+ gold from tarding for me), I was at war with Poland, vassal of Germany, proclimed independence(lost kingdom power), my only good relations with Hungary were hurt when they lost war with Poland. I had no money to buy soldiers, no population(no money for town-growth) and there was no way how to sign a peace with Poland, 4 Poland's marshalls invaded my lands, killed my king in Olomouc(Moravia) and started to plunder Bohemia, where a rebellion emerged. When I almost defeated their marshall at gates of Praha(Bohemia), there was another to help him and destroyed my forces-captured my last town.
It lasted no more than 30 mnutes. :sad:

But I am happy that AI is smarter and when Poland known I am weak, vassalage and 400 of gold was not enough for them as peace offer :hello:

One thig I am disappointed:
When I am trading wth some nation and want to change good I am trading for (e.i. gold -> horses), I have to break the route (->suffer relations drop)and then trade again with them. I have to break the route while I WANT to trade with them, just a different good :angry:

Arcador
02-12-2004, 11:44
yes the last one is issue since the patch. Some option with -change to trade good will come in handy :P

Immortal
02-12-2004, 17:32
About spy when hire spy there aways risk to hire some other spy and you will have a big trouble.Then the best you can do is promote one of your prince to spy.By the way why prince don't get older?

Elvain
02-12-2004, 17:41
I guess it's good thing for the gameplay.

Princes can't make children while they are princes and when old king dies, all other family members disappear. So if old king lives long life, his heir can claim the throne old or aging, with not high chance to "make babies", he has no younger brother left as successor so the dynasty can end very easily.

To spy thing. Yes, it's best to have one of princes (the best if it is crown prince) as spy. In later stages, when you have enough books, you can always have 5 star prince/king to watch your court.

ulfn
02-12-2004, 17:43
About spy when hire spy there aways risk to hire some other spy and you will have a big trouble.Then the best you can do is promote one of your prince to spy.By the way why prince don't get older?

Thanks Immortal, that was a brilliant idea!

PS. I wish I could also be immortal. :cheers:

Elvain
02-12-2004, 17:53
Thanks Immortal, that was a brilliant idea!I adviced this too, some time ago... :)

Geert04
02-12-2004, 18:55
The game is harder. Its better to see the info from the squats on the little screen, the mini map is improved
but the game still jumps to desktop without a reason ...

Peps66
02-12-2004, 19:23
I guess it's good thing for the gameplay.

Princes can't make children while they are princes and when old king dies, all other family members disappear. So if old king lives long life, his heir can claim the throne old or aging, with not high chance to "make babies", he has no younger brother left as successor so the dynasty can end very easily.

To spy thing. Yes, it's best to have one of princes (the best if it is crown prince) as spy. In later stages, when you have enough books, you can always have 5 star prince/king to watch your court.

I guess it works in a game but it's not very realistic. I think most people in courts over the world would recognize a royal family member :) . It would be nice if they could make a game with the depth of Crusader Kings and the looks of KoH.

Arcador
02-12-2004, 20:27
They are master ninjas of disguise :P
"Hey haven't I seen you somewhere?" "Nope, I am only just a marshall."

Arcador
02-12-2004, 22:00
Weee and you got none of the changes aye?
Remember all game creators don't like talking about no-cd stuff for their games.

the knightly sword
03-12-2004, 10:13
AI havent improved a **** . 3legions of town guards cant stand against 4 bunches of peasants (wierd as hell :sick: ). i mean like town guards are good soldiers as they are described ,how cant they stand a chance against peasants they got damn halberds for god sake. There is no castle supriorty

well i got to admit kingdoms are smarter then before and they dont have 10 kingdoms jumping on them .
1. gold is very hard to get , my tradeing potential is pretty low.

2.rebels are harder to beat

3.in a way the AI have improved a bit .

well this patchs is nice but keep them comeing :)

Lord-Piecemeal
03-12-2004, 14:18
My first impressions of the new patch in the game are: that the game is Harder, even on easy,have tried all three strenghts.

As been said allready the money is tight, but if you persevere, then you can get enuff to build all thats needed to finish the game as top dog.
I try to not buy to much in soldiers to start with, this runs your cofers down very quickly.
Just one Marshal to take another province etc, use prince for spy at home,leave castle undefended till danger arrives, all this helps to get you off the ground I find.
Iff they could only get the Adverts removed at starting up of the game, that alone is my biggest bug bear.
The patch so far has prooved a good start, and the Multi play is now very good, being able to control your units effective.

Zan
03-12-2004, 20:18
Is the game harder,yes and no.Nice to see that walls are tougher.Enemy seems to rush my army in battles.The AI does tend to focus too much on killing my marshal though.The AI marches right by my army without attacking it and towards my marshal.All I do is move my marshal in the opposite direction of my army.The AI follows my marshal.I then move my crossbows up close to the AI army and slaughter them. I put my army on no attack and the AI marched right through my army without any fighting and towards my marshal.Camping rebels,yes thats all they do.What a joke.Move my army into their camp and slaughter them.They do not attempt to packup and fight.I capture province after province with very little resistance.The AI does not build fortifacations very fast.Does not take much to capture a province when all the AI has to defend it with is townguards and no walls.Having the only difficulty in the game being the cost of buying things is no difficulty at all.A nice looking game without a challenging AI is a boreing game.Some good improvements but still a long way to go.This is on hard level also.

MakingT
05-12-2004, 14:57
the many thing about this new patch.. and the best is that if a kingdom goes to war with you .. than its often your the only kingdom in war with them..... they can consintrade there stranged at you not everybody else as well.
i figure the game can get a bit hard when theres like 4 or 5 kingdoms left......
im playing with bulgaria (bdin) and im at the same class as england, algeria, norway, lithunia, golden horde and sweden... all with about 20 provinces and then all the small kingdoms.. i have agreement with all this kingdoms... and most of them have agreements between them selfs...... what happens when the small kingdoms are gone... only peace in the world.... im not looking forward to have to break agreement with these kingdoms............ and get mabey 2 0r 3 kingdoms with armies the size of mine attack me :þ ???? am i talking total bull****?