PDA

View Full Version : Edition of town and province names

István
05-12-2004, 00:16
Greetings!
I'm István from Hungary.
First of all, excuse me about my very bad, unpractised english.

This game is fantastic! The only problem for me is about the map of my home.
The places of the towns is a geographical nightmare! ;(
(Later, a map editor for the game would be an amazing idea! 8) :) )

But now:
Is it possible, to edit town and province names in the game files?
If possible, what program should I use, and wich files must be edited?
How can I make it, keeping the game working?
(I think, I must edit the names in many files, but this is not a problem for me.)

Please help!

Maizena
05-12-2004, 12:50
first, welcome to the boards :cheers:
2nd, i dont think u can edit the names without causing problems elsewhere in the game. I had the same problem with my own home region :) and i want to change them as well :)

3CHUCK_CRO
05-12-2004, 14:05
use pakman from tempest
search in forum,somewhere is link
u can rename province town name safely e.g. zagreb(istria) into sisak
4 the province names e.g. istria into banovina i dont know try and see 4 your self
but probably u need to change ALL instances of name with new name,problem is finding
all files that use old name for that province

ulfn
05-12-2004, 15:00
See the thread:

http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=3255

Grallon
05-12-2004, 19:07
I used Pakman quite a bit yesterday. I have safely edited:

- quest files (which country can create bigger country -> England
- building files (changed the requirements, the costs)
- map file (initial kingdom settings, titles) - but here while it works for the one I changed (the early settings - the game crashes if I try to access another period.

Now I want to create a quest to enable the recreation of the western roman empire (by either France or Italy and afterGermany is destroyed). However I'm not sure if the game will aknowledge this since you have to specify a replacement flag/color. Where are those lists located ? I suppose I could rename one or simply put a condition that the country I'd take the flag from should not exist. I would greatly appreciate if the Admins would post guidelines for editing. What are the switch, the conditions, the location of the resources, etc.

Another question is what governs the attribution of province' resources (fish, fertile, etc). In England for instance all province have invariable fish as one of their resources. I understand it's randomized but is there a way to decrease the possibility of such and such procince to get certain resources ?

G.

Elvain
07-12-2004, 13:22
The only problem for me is about the map of my home.
The places of the towns is a geographical nightmare! ;(
Welcome on the boards, István! :cheers:

Edits are possible, as you saw...

Bu I have one thing to say to defend actual (especially town) names in region of medieval Hungary.
We know there are untill now problems between Hungarians and Romanians, and Slovakians We know it has historical roots-whole Slovakia and significant part of Romania were parts of Crown of st. Stephen(István:))

I think I can type this in the name of developers, who didn't want to touch any of those nations. There was a discussion before those names were given to regions capitals (in case of Transylvania and Carpathia.
Klausenburg was finally chosen. Why? If it would be Cluj, I am sure that every Hungarian will get angry of it. If it would be named Kolosvár, every Romanian would be angry. So, due to german colonisation in the region of Transylvania in middle ages, when most of cities had German inhabitants(mostly, not all!), german name-Klausenburg was chosen.

Problem of "Carpatia" is much more complicated. There was no Carpatia in history, You know it for sure as well as I do. Unfortunately, province of Carpatia is not placed where Felvidék/Slovakia/Upper Hungary is. So it can't have it's historical capital-Pressburg/Pozsony/Bratislava(Presporok). Name of Kosice instead of Kassa didn't make me happy, but I wasn't able to find german name of it(and devs probably too) When there was no possibility of compromise, they have chosen Kosice, probably because most of international players will find it much more easily than Kassa.(in english maps today you would hardly find Kassa, but Kosice)
Honestly I found Carpatia a nice compromise between Felvidék and Slovakia which will make angry Slovaks and Hungarians (while Upper Hungary-2 word name-would probably not be possible)

Other issue are borders of Hungarian provinces. I presonally would make them in other way, but I am not a developer.

Edit names as you like it for you. Honestly, if you have ideas how to rename Hungarian provinces in neutral(compromising) way I would appreciate it

FrankishKnight
14-12-2004, 07:34
Yeah I think quite some provinces where wrong. But luckily it's not as disastrous as Europa Universalis which hardly got ANYTHING right.