PDA

View Full Version : Praetorians and KOH

Pages : [1] 2

silver
18-12-2003, 22:53
I was very keenly anticipating the release of Praetorians before it was released, similar to my anticipation of this product. From reading, I hope and expect, KoH to be much better as I was VERY disapointed with Praetorians - which was a shame as I like the Roman warfare history and the game had huge potential. But the lovely graphics in stills were not reflective of the game as the fighting resulted in stupid looking masses of nonsense and the way cavalry changed direction and moved, was quite frankly laughable. It was all totally unrealistic and a lack of thought was evident, yet huge attention had been spent on the basic graphics which looked nice in stills (ie magazines and screenshots for marketing). I hope KoH's battles will not be like this - the reason I worry is that the stills and screenies I have seen look VERY similr to the Praetorians engine. Anyone there that has seen this game running and Praetorians able to comment??

Cork2
19-12-2003, 00:16
Originally posted by silver
the reason I worry is that the stills and screenies I have seen look VERY similr to the Praetorians engine.

I think you need to look again, i played praetorians for a while it looks nothing like Knights of Honor. KoH has way better graphics. I think they also use their own engin although i am not sure about that

Arjenvs
19-12-2003, 01:02
Originally posted by Cork2
I think you need to look again, i played praetorians for a while it looks nothing like Knights of Honor. KoH has way better graphics. I think they also use their own engin although i am not sure about that

I have to agree with you on this one!!! I also played preatorians...also dissappointed after.... but KoH does not look like it at all.....

and yes they use a new engine....*almost curtain.....*

rado907
19-12-2003, 01:39
gosh praetorians was so bad...

AdrianWerner
19-12-2003, 05:01
I don`t think they were that bad. it was just a nice Myth clone in Roman setting. Nothing spectacular...but I still liked it more than Warcraft3 or War of the Ring(God!..I hate base building :) ). But this wasn`t a good year for PYRO..both Commandos3 and Praetorians were dissapoiting..mostly due to lack of polish ... I couldn`t even force myself to finish C3, altough this might be because I`ve played SilentStorm demo before..gave me a new perspective :D

Lord Sandman
19-12-2003, 08:38
Praetorians? It's copmpletely different game...Personally I think that it's not a good game.... Too linear for me. Like Warcraft III. I hate linear strategies when player's decissions are limited to things in the plot...

Arjenvs
19-12-2003, 09:37
Originally posted by Lord Sandman
Praetorians? It's copmpletely different game...Personally I think that it's not a good game.... Too linear for me. Like Warcraft III. I hate linear strategies when player's decissions are limited to things in the plot...

Yes indeed!!! I hate a lineair plot!!!

A little plot can be fun sometimes....but as in Original War...there is also a plot....but it can be different...depence how it is played....so based on your own discisions......

silver
19-12-2003, 09:53
Yes - I know it's a different game, but the battle could be similar - I am hoping that you are all correct and they are not similar at all. However, some of the screenies do look very similar. I hope you are all right :)

Frank Fay
19-12-2003, 10:42
I dont want to compare the battles with Praetorians but maybe I can use the opportunity to point out that Praetorians was ONLY about battles, *****ded into a story but sequenzed battles and it was more or less a typical RTS.

KoH is a global strategy game no typical RTS. Sure there are similarities to standard RTS but KoH features are whole, global strategical layer with Diplomacy, Espionage, Economy etc.

Lord Sandman
19-12-2003, 12:26
Yes...And we're very happy with that fact...;)

Frank Fay
19-12-2003, 19:51
:cool:

Cork2
19-12-2003, 22:11
Whats with the Rock-Papper-Siccor thing for battles i read about in some preview or interviews. I could be mistaken but i thought i heard it about this game.

Arjenvs
19-12-2003, 22:20
Originally posted by Cork2
Whats with the Rock-Papper-Siccor thing for battles i read about in some preview or interviews. I could be mistaken but i thought i heard it about this game.

what's a Rock-Papper-Siccor thing?????:confused: :confused:

Pioneer
23-12-2003, 23:02
It means in the rts context that one particular unit can always beat or do particularly well against another unit but in turn can be beaten by yet another unit.

I hope that there will not be a system of that sort in KoH. It was a particularly annoying feature of Empire Earth and for me vied with the cheating ai as a game-breaker. While an rts needs to take account of the fact that any given unit would be weaker against another particular unit it should not be precise and dogmatic.

Henrik
23-12-2003, 23:32
Originally posted by Pioneer
It means in the rts context that one particular unit can always beat or do particularly well against another unit but in turn can be beaten by yet another unit.

I hope that there will not be a system of that sort in KoH. It was a particularly annoying feature of Empire Earth and for me vied with the cheating ai as a game-breaker. While an rts needs to take account of the fact that any given unit would be weaker against another particular unit it should not be precise and dogmatic.

I think that the Rock-Paper-Sciccors work quite alright - I can remeber that AOK was made after this principle.

Angryminer
24-12-2003, 00:21
Every game where a horseman beats a pikeman shall vanish instantly!
Every game where a pikeman beats a swordsman shall vanish instantly!
Every game where a swordsman beats a horseman shall vanish instantly!

Angryminer

Henrik
24-12-2003, 05:19
Originally posted by Angryminer
Every game where a horseman beats a pikeman shall vanish instantly!
Every game where a pikeman beats a swordsman shall vanish instantly!
Every game where a swordsman beats a horseman shall vanish instantly!

Angryminer

There seems to be an error above ;)

I think you mean:
Every game where a pikeman beats a horseman shall vanish instantly!

btw, I've found an old review og AOK:
Once you land yourself in a battle, you'll discover another facet of Age's delicate balancing act. Each unit type on the field has at least one other unit type that it is really good at attacking and at least one unit that is its nemesis. Archers are excellent at wiping out infantry, particularly Militia units, but are destroyed in a hurry when attacked by Skirmishers. Cavalry can cause absolute mayhem when it hits a battlefield crowded with foot soldiers, but is halted by Pikemen or Camels. It's all very confusing at first, but it all makes sense and eventually you'll be responding to combat threats like a pro.

I still like the concept ;)

Elewyn
24-12-2003, 10:04
Originally posted by Henrik
There seems to be an error above ;)

I think you mean:
Every game where a pikeman beats a horseman shall vanish instantly!

btw, I've found an old review og AOK:

I still like the concept ;)
How can a horseman beat pikeman, huh?
There was no error by Angryminer. Cavalry was usually beaten by pikemen formations. Or if not totally beaten, then at least have many lost men.

Henrik
25-12-2003, 01:34
Originally posted by Elewyn
How can a horseman beat pikeman, huh?

They can't !

silver
25-12-2003, 11:27
Originally posted by Henrick
They can't

Cavalry was not "usually" beaten by pikeman - it depends on many factors including discipline. Pikeman are the most effective ground unit against a cavalry charge. However, once the line was broken and they had cavalry all around them they were disadvantaged. They did still have a more effective weapon than a sword vs a large horse and rider, but I would rather be the horseman with a lance in this situation.
In RTS games there tends to be an idea that each unit has it's perfect counter - in the case of cavalry the counter is always pikemen, but the games never take into account the line breaking and the fact the advantage is lost in that situation.
The best counter for a cavalry charge would be 2 or three lines of pikes with infantry behind (to hamstring and horses that break though) and archers safely at the back or sheltered (as cavalry destroys them easily)- and a counter cavalry charge to the flank.
I hope that KoH has more battle depth than most RTS games with the simple
UnitA>UnitB
UnitB>UnitC
UnitC>UnitA
with no accounting for circumstances.

PS - Happy Xmas