PDA

View Full Version : Castle/Wall building

Pages : [1] 2

Carcassone
23-10-2003, 17:27
Greetings from a mile high city...that's Denver, CO.

It's great to see such an immediate response to the KoH Forum opening. Hopefully for everyone's sake KoH will have a better longevity than Stronghold.

Anyhow, my questions. First of all, will there be castle building in this game. what i mean specifically is will there wall design, meaning a player can choose to make walls as deep and long as desired or will there be specific keeps/castles that come with a rubber stamp wall defense. I truly like the personal touches of building one's own castle. The simple fact of building walls according to your design will always present an attacker with varying strategies to defeat that castle....i realize it's much to late to change anything, but can someone answer the wall building quesiton.

The other question involves game specs. What PC power will i need? CPU, memory, video card and mem...thanks.

Carcassone

Frujin
23-10-2003, 17:41
Hi Denver there :)

For the system spec it's too early.

For the castle, we will try to prepare an article, which will be posted at KoH offcial site as feature. This would take some time I think.

geekoo
23-10-2003, 20:16
I agree with Carcassone

Indeed,
I think it would be great to be abble to customise
castles, with different kind of towers, round, square...
And construct stuff like, barbacanes, moats, different
kind of walls.
It's really dull to have always the same kind of castle
all over Europe. And it could add a lot of nice gameplay.

Geekoo

Frank Fay
23-10-2003, 20:25
All I can confirm at this point that there will be definately customization opportunities for your castles. But please do not forget, that there are a lot of realms in Europe. It is a large map you are playing on, probably the largest map ever in a game.

As Frujin said, we will reveal more later about it in detail.

Carcassone
23-10-2003, 21:20
Thanks for the quick response to my questions. I know that gamers tend to always want the moon i.e. everything and it's tough sometimes to accept the fact that not everything is possible with time and budget.

Having said that, i'm relieved to hear that there will be customization to castles, walls, etc...at least some customization. Varying castle styles, structures and such will enhance gameplay. Otherwise, like many of us know, the same tactics and strategies could be used against almost every other player out there. Besides, customization puts a personal touch into the game from a gamers persepctive.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and i look forward to the documentation on customization and specs...keep up the great work, the screen shots look spectacular.

As a side note, i've been waiting for a castle/realm/RTS for a long time...most of which that have released in the last few years never really quite met my desires. I have high hopes for KoH.

Great work guys...and gals.

BLOODUK
23-10-2003, 22:17
Originally posted by Frank Fay
All I can confirm at this point that there will be definately customization opportunities for your castles. But please do not forget, that there are a lot of realms in Europe. It is a large map you are playing on, probably the largest map ever in a game.

As Frujin said, we will reveal more later about it in detail.

wow just what i wanted to hear :angel:

Pioneer
23-10-2003, 22:39
A small point: None of the castle or towns shown so far in screenshots seem to have any noticeable ecclesiastical features be it urban or suburban churches or rural monasteries.

One thing that could add a strategic element is to have unwalled suburbs beside cities. London for instance had Southwark. Dublin where I live derived almost its entire tax farm from its suburbs. When Robert and Edward Bruce (as part of war that lasted from 1315-1318 ) neared the city its citizens burnt the suburbs to dissuade any Scottish and Irish attackers. For many years afterward the English king had to forgive arrears of taxation owed by the city. Generally many cities of the time still relied on small Roman city walls and would have found it difficult to extend the walls to cater for expansion. It could be a way of constraining the more aggressive player. If that player wants war he would have to accept the loss of most of his commercial and industrial activity that would have taken place just outside the walls in the suburbs.

Overdose
23-10-2003, 23:03
Originally posted by Frank Fay
It is a large map you are playing on, probably the largest map ever in a game.

Even bigger then Imperium Galactica 2 spacemap ?! btw Imperium Galactica 2 is my favorite RTS game ever :) I hope that you can KoH as fun as IG2 was :D I ruled the space, this time around it's time to rule the Europe :D

Pioneer
24-10-2003, 01:36
The problem with IG2, good game that it was and is, is that the late game was simply a matter of who could churn out hundreds of vessels the quickest. Hopefully the designer will have constrains to ensure that the most powerful states cannot steamroller the opposition.

Frank Fay
24-10-2003, 09:41
None of the castle or towns shown so far in screenshots seem to have any noticeable ecclesiastical features be it urban or suburban churches or rural monasteries

There are churches in towns and monasteries in the suburban areas. That they cant be seen on screenshots are due to the fact that artwork is not ready yet or that we did not make a screenshot with them (without any purpose of course). :)

geekoo
24-10-2003, 11:33
This is great news,
Thanks for the quick reply.

:bday: Geekoo

Angel Sulis
24-10-2003, 21:45
A question for the moderators:

To what extent will 'building' be featured in this game? Are there any comparisons to be drawn at all against the citybuilder games? Just curious, nothing more :)

Kevin
24-10-2003, 23:21
Originally posted by Frujin
Hi Denver there :)

For the system spec it's too early.

For the castle, we will try to prepare an article, which will be posted at KoH offcial site as feature. This would take some time I think.

Another great thing!:)

Pioneer
25-10-2003, 01:38
That is great news. So will it be possible to loot these suburban monasteries or perhaps endow them if the king was feeling guilty about something? Will there be any other structure of significance area like workshops, additional houses not accommodated within the walls.

Here for instance is a map that indicates the sheer extent of the suburbs around the medieval city of Dublin in comparison to the walled area, which was small even for the time. Although the map was made in 1610 - when the decay wrought by a combination of the dissolution of the monasteries that sustained much suburban activity, plague and the Bruce Invasion of the early fourteenth century had taken a heavy toll - it does indicate how extensive a medieval suburb could be.

http://www.macalester.edu/courses/geog61/pbaldwin/speed.jpg

Note also that certain buildings like 'the colledges' (Trinity College, Dublin), 'the Innes' or 'S. Thomas court' were simply three dissolved monasteries - respectively the Abbey of St Thomas the Martyr, the monastery of St Saviours, and All Hallows Priory - that were put to other uses after the Reformation.

vyanvotts
25-10-2003, 02:50
intresting pic...:)

Frank Fay
25-10-2003, 09:28
Since we have so many Towns / Castles we have to keep it generic, means every building can be build in every town on the map. However there are buildings with special functions and functionality but we will confirm them later in detail. But let me say one thing, you need some buildings to produce certain type of army units and others to keep your population happy or increasing your gold income.

BINGFA
25-10-2003, 12:51
You know perhaps Stronghold did the Castle building thing and perhaps after awhile people didn't want to be builders anymore? Why do you want Stronghold 2???????

Please remember KOH is supposed to be Kingly. There are plenty of boggy, make a peon do this, RTS games already out there.

I don't know what KOH will be but I want to taste new flavours surprise me BSS and Sunflower.

Frank Fay
25-10-2003, 15:40
Imagine also,allowing the player to customize your castle as much as in Stronghold would mean total realm number * stronghold = pure nightmare. Nightmare in terms of micromanagement.

Pikeman
25-10-2003, 17:00
How about a choice of set castle designs for people who are too lazy to design themselves, as well as the possibility of designing the wall layout yourself. Is that included? If it is, then everyone should be happy.:cool:

Frank Fay
25-10-2003, 17:08
It is more like that in KoH. There is a set and you can choose what of them you want to build.