PDA

View Full Version : Fire

Pages : [1] 2

Lord Nicko
19-12-2003, 10:58
I see you can burn buildings, can you also burn anything made from wood? ie seige weapons.

Also can we put fires out- ie build wells in fire prone areas- will the peasant be the fire fighters?

Frujin
23-12-2003, 12:00
You can burn most of the things made of wood. But not all.

Emhyr var Emreis
23-12-2003, 12:24
Not all? Which not?

Henrik
23-12-2003, 15:20
Originally posted by Emhyr var Emreis
Not all? Which not?

I'll guess that it not possible burn a forest :D

Cork2
24-12-2003, 20:21
Well I am gessing forests and siege weapons. The only have been pics of buildigns burning.

Lord Nicko
28-12-2003, 06:52
Originally posted by Frujin
You can burn most of the things made of wood. But not all.

Cool thanks- can we also put fires out? and will it be similiar to stronghold crusader where you have water wells/pots with peasants as the fire fighters or will it just be a matter of anwsering a popup window question and the the rest is automated

- eg. messages says part of x town is on fire what do you want to do-

- put it out.
- let it burn to the ground.
- let it burn for a while im busy but notify me again in x seconds!

Bora
29-12-2003, 16:09
i have seen something in the castle strike demo that i really like,...

archers are shooting flamearrows on (wooden)buildings. and even if they stop to shoot on that building the fire is still making damage to it. only solution is that the workers are fetching water to estinguish the fire. latzer they can repair it.
nice idea from the programmers of castle strike, hope the programmers of knights of honor make something similar

Henrik
30-12-2003, 00:10
But how would you suggest that we should manage to control the fire extinguesing in a situation where we are attacked by 3 - 4 opponents at the same time :confused: I.e. I don't think that we have the time to be the firedepartment - it smell like micromanagement to me :)

Frujin
30-12-2003, 11:27
@Henrik:

There is no micro management at all. You warry because we still didn't explained well the battles in KoH. We will do very soon ... and you will understand a lot of things then :)

Henrik
30-12-2003, 13:24
@Henrik:

There is no micro management at all. You warry because we still didn't explained well the battles in KoH. We will do very soon ... and you will understand a lot of things then :)

I've think that you have stated before that there is no micromanagement in KOH - it's just that others talk about estinguesing fires and that would be micromangement and i don't think that we have time for that as i've told'em

So i'm aware that you wont find micromangement in KOH

Hooba
31-12-2003, 19:18
Forest fires can sometimes let you get a great strategical advantage; you can force an enemy army to go to the direction you want them to go or else they will be torched. But forest fires are also a menace to your wood supply.

Greetz
Hooba

Lord Nicko
01-01-2004, 11:54
me thinks if you can burn things you should also be able to put them out- else it wouldnt be realism!

Angryminer
01-01-2004, 12:33
Yes, fire should be extinguishable.
No, I don't want to hassle with wells. Come on, I'm the future King of Europe and not a damn firefighter!
It's my duty to command armies and conquer a whole continent by cunning diplomacy and tactics - not to tell some peasants to extinguish fire!!

Conclusion:
Maybe knights build wells - or maybe they don't, but peasants/workers should extinguish fire by themselves. No clicks, no worries.

Angryminer

Henrik
01-01-2004, 20:04
Before you all continues to discuss how to put fires out or if it can be put - then please read Frujins reply

@Henrik:

Jorghan
02-01-2004, 04:44
Personally I have nothing against micromanagement, I like it, as long as it's optional. I would for example love a game that would allow me to equip indiviual groups of soldiers the way I see fit. However, the micromanagement that you do see in most RTS (Click soldier, click "handgrenade", click target) is just annoying and hardly logical either.

Five in the morning rant...

Es.
02-01-2004, 16:41
Originally posted by Jorghan
Personally I have nothing against micromanagement, I like it, as long as it's optional. I would for example love a game that would allow me to equip indiviual groups of soldiers the way I see fit. However, the micromanagement that you do see in most RTS (Click soldier, click "handgrenade", click target) is just annoying and hardly logical either.

Five in the morning rant...
Then you should play Master of orion ill recomend moO 2 and 3. number 1 is just too old, but still funny, though ugly, in that game your designing your own space ships, with evrything from engines to weapons, shilds and special items.

Jorghan
02-01-2004, 17:29
Yeah, I've played them, though now I was really talking about RTSes. Didn't really like MOO 3 though, it didn't really live up to my expectations.

Lord Nicko
03-01-2004, 02:36
There wouldn't be micro management if its implemented properly!

You simple build wells and then the peasants (AI) take care of the rest.

If you dont build wells then you burn to the ground. That makes sense to me!

You need some sort of fire control- both ways- defending your castle and attacking a castle- that makes sense to me!!!

Add some realism I say :)

Angryminer
03-01-2004, 15:50
There are over 150 realms each featuring one capitol and around 5 smaller villages.
I don't want to be that poor bastard who has to rule nearly whole Europe, keep his kingdom in one peace AND build wells where they are needed.
Well-buildung should be an AI-task, too (-> Knights).

So after all the king wouldn't build the wells and he wouldn't use them nor would he command units to use them.

Angryminer

Lord Nicko
04-01-2004, 03:06
I dont care who builds the well as long as you can build them or use them in such a way that you can control fires!

Every town/castle had them!