PDA

View Full Version : Year Seasons in Knights of Honor?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bora
19-12-2003, 15:47
Hello!

i know that there will no year-counter in the game. but i hope that you may see the wheater changes caue of the seasons.

so spring, summer, autumn and winter.

mean flower, plants growing and snwo melting in spring.
warm weather, green gras and trees in summer, treeas are losing leaves it rains more often. in winter it snows of course (like on the homepage the last days :))

should also have influence on the economy,... in winter you are low on food and maybe other resources, troops are moving very slow and moral is maybe down if let them do a long trip outside in the snow. similar things when it rains to often,.. maye streets are full of mut, and its cold. and so on

Angryminer
19-12-2003, 16:10
No, no seasons.
No winter.
No spring.
No summer.
No autumn.
No effect.

Angryminer

Arjenvs
19-12-2003, 22:31
Originally posted by Angryminer
No, no seasons.
No winter.
No spring.
No summer.
No autumn.
No effect.

Angryminer

What about the screenshots with snow....they are not only for fun I think.......but the seasons will not effect something in the game like crops growing or battles.....that's true....

Bora
20-12-2003, 13:22
Originally posted by Angryminer
No, no seasons.
No winter.
No spring.
No summer.
No autumn.
No effect.

Angryminer

well,... give me the link where you answer is confirmed by the producing comapany the developer or an admin of this forum,...
but also if its true, as you know if MANY people here ask for it they try to implement it!

Angryminer
20-12-2003, 14:37
By Frujin from here (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216)
Hello guys. Sorry, but i have to dissapoint you. No seasons in KoH so far. We thinked about that and for now we decided not to have'em ...

From the same thread:
Frujin:
There already IS rain in there

Frank Fay:
quote:So, muddy battles are gonna be here? Perfect!

No, not that. Only weather is there but it does not affect the terrain or make dry roads into muddy ones.

Frank Fay:
Rain has no meaning = no influence in the game. It has been made to increase the dense of the gameworld. There is no snowing though.

Angryminer

Bora
20-12-2003, 15:21
so maybe they have changed mind,... one of the two new pics show snow in a battle scenario,... and it looks REAL great,...

but i also can tundertstand that weather shoukd have no influence on the army? i dont real mean the the raods must get soaking wet from mut, but the moral of the troops should go down and they should move slower.

Angryminer
20-12-2003, 15:41
I think what we see on screenshots is permanent snow - like on high mountains in the north.

Angryminer

Frank Fay
20-12-2003, 16:11
we will have permanent snow in some regions.

But the weather does not affect the troop behaviour. We did not want to make KoH to a military battle simulation.

Dealing with weather effects would distract the player form his duty to rule an Empire.

Henrik
20-12-2003, 18:25
I say, lets just see what work and what don't in the first game, and provided that the game is a success, then i'm quite sure that we will see a KOH 2 some day with mud, rain, snow which affecting crops, troop morale and the likes.

Frank Fay
20-12-2003, 19:32
Exactly :D

We will of course collect the feedback from the players...

Bora
21-12-2003, 02:35
Originally posted by Frank Fay
we will have permanent snow in some regions.

But the weather does not affect the troop behaviour. We did not want to make KoH to a military battle simulation.

Dealing with weather effects would distract the player form his duty to rule an Empire.

well,.. as i know there is moral lvl of the troops,... so why should bad weather have no effect to it? and how should that have such a big effect that the player cant do other tasks of the game?
is just that the player shpuld maybe think about to let troops home in winter then let them do a long trip to the enemy.
and bad wheather should also slow them down,... and the troops can walk alone, so the player must not help them walking,...
that cant be so hard and its no "Micromanagement" or whathever cause these situation happen and the player must do nothing against of for it. is just to make it more realistic.
so think of it! ;)

Henrik
21-12-2003, 03:34
As i recall we have had this discussion before regarding weather and sessonial change - Frank ( i believe it was ) once told us that if we had the changes, then you could risk stating a battle in the summer and by the time you were finished it would be winter !

Now, i'm well aware that you don't talk about the sessons change, but if we want rain with muddy road and the likes then we might as well have different sesson also, but as we have discussed before, this will give some different design issues like:

Since we already know that the game continues when we fight a battle, then in order to avoid that it's getting winter in the middle of a battle, you would need to eighter stop or slowdown the gameworld since the game runs while you do the battle - which is bad since you may or may not be depended of events that happen while you fight - in other wors oyur "world" don't stand still while you fight.

I think that you've made your point and i'll agree with you, but trust me on this one: if you get you rain & muddy roads, then i'll bet that other starts whinning about why they can't have snow and the likes - we can just hope that if they can overcome the design issue then we can hope that it will be implemented in another release.

greywulf
21-12-2003, 05:03
Yes, I agree. I'd like to see how KoH does as the designers want it to work, then if there are problems, they can always be fixed.

Frank Fay
21-12-2003, 10:28
The problem is, there is always something you will miss in any game. We wanted to stay true to the design objectives, creating an Empire Conquering Simulation. And I think we did not loose the focus so far.

Henrik
21-12-2003, 10:47
Originally posted by Frank Fay
The problem is, there is always something you will miss in any game. We wanted to stay true to the design objectives, creating an Empire Conquering Simulation. And I think we did not loose the focus so far.

If that it's true i wish to congratulate you and BSS - coz i think that one of the biggest pits to fall in, is that you don't stick to the original design plan - when a project like this or any other for that matter, one must have an idea where to start and where it ends - i'm aware that during the desig fase there are sometime the need to test a few ideas ( as you also have mentioned ), but other than this i would guess that the work is "pretty much" straight forward - this could also be the reason why some of our suggestions are turned down - not because they all are silly ones, but because they don't fit into the project at this stage.

Bora
21-12-2003, 14:19
Originally posted by Henrik
As i recall we have had this discussion before regarding weather and sessonial change - Frank ( i believe it was ) once told us that if we had the changes, then you could risk stating a battle in the summer and by the time you were finished it would be winter !

Now, i'm well aware that you don't talk about the sessons change, but if we want rain with muddy road and the likes then we might as well have different sesson also, but as we have discussed before, this will give some different design issues like:

Since we already know that the game continues when we fight a battle, then in order to avoid that it's getting winter in the middle of a battle, you would need to eighter stop or slowdown the gameworld since the game runs while you do the battle - which is bad since you may or may not be depended of events that happen while you fight - in other wors oyur "world" don't stand still while you fight.

I think that you've made your point and i'll agree with you, but trust me on this one: if you get you rain & muddy roads, then i'll bet that other starts whinning about why they can't have snow and the likes - we can just hope that if they can overcome the design issue then we can hope that it will be implemented in another release.

1. it must not be that the season is changing every 5 minutes,...
i dont know how long it would take if you have your troops in austria and must go to paris to fight the enemy,... if such a trip takes 15 min real time then let the season change every hour (real time) or something like that
RTW will have such things and has also diplomacy and all that stuff in it with main focus at the battles,...

2. if its really to bad 4 the battles that wheather has effect on soldiers then let it only rain, snow, whatever 4 the optik
cause it would look strange if its permanent snow in sweden and in germay its always sunshine.

i only can say, think of it, it benefits the game and makes the player happy :)

and it looks awsome on your home to see that castle on the mainpage in snowlandscape,... and if we could see our landascape in game alo in different season it would be great,.. thats the mainthought about the idea ;)

Angryminer
21-12-2003, 15:30
There's an offtopic discussion on weather-effects here (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=308) (begins somewhere near the 50th post, if I remember my profile-settings right).

Angryminer

Elewyn
21-12-2003, 22:46
I thought about weather and I realized there's one big problem with chance.
Weather is influenced by chance and when the weather would influence all other- like with rain you have more food than during a long draught- the game wil become too complicated to pragramme it all. That's what I think. Rain without influence on the rest of the game can be enoough. By the time...

Es.
21-12-2003, 22:53
Originally posted by Elewyn
I thought about weather and I realized there's one big problem with chance.
Weather is influenced by chance and when the weather would influence all other- like with rain you have more food than during a long draught- the game wil become too complicated to pragramme it all. That's what I think. Rain without influence on the rest of the game can be enoough. By the time...
It's easy to program-.
Just do it like that.
Each houer/day night circel or what ever there is a x% chanse that each province will be hit by a random kind of weather.
Now you got weather, quite easy.
But i still don't think it should be in the game, or atleast not before a KoH2 where the game and the feads back are good enough to make weather effects a positive gaming experience.

Elewyn
21-12-2003, 23:21
Nice to see you speakin'bout KoH2 half a year before KoH1 release :D
:cheers: