PDA

View Full Version : Patch AI is still to weak!

Pages : [1] 2

knight_of_Steel
15-12-2004, 23:42
I play always at hard, the ai is somewhat harder in this patch, but still 200% to weak.

My militaire power is 479, the hotestd enemy 233, i have give hime loads of money and other kingdoms but they come not harder as 260.....

So why is hard so easy, simple, i have waithing from beginning at the patch but i'm still disapointed, or how you spell it in right english.

When you play at hard, it shall be nice that all other kingdoms start with a strong army.

There is some cheat to lead some other kingdom, then you see that the ai is working stupid, so i hope to find others to make this ai some smarter because this game is verry good buth for hardplayers it is still to weak.

Regards Steely :angry: :angel: :bland:

FrankishKnight
16-12-2004, 04:05
Yup, it's dang easy allright.

Lord Sandman
16-12-2004, 08:33
Completelly agree!
I have 3/4 of Europe, AI still gives me money when I have good relations with it, siege is still to easy, - enemy is stupid- it doesn't know what it should do with own troops. Next, release the hostage and propose vasalage - you got it! After few hours of playing I have income about 1800 gold, Kingdom Power 5+ and every provinces with all buildings.... Enemy doesn't has any chance with my kingdom. It doesn't unite with other kingdom against me....
I abaddon the game, because it's too easy for me. It doesn't have any chalenge and unfortunatelly boring me after few hours of playing.
I don't think that KoH is bad game - it's one of my favourite games (for innovation, graphics, and medieval feelings) besisdes R:TW, M:TW, all Europa Universalis series, but IMO AI is the weakest when I compare KoH to these games....

FrankishKnight
16-12-2004, 10:13
Wait...Europa Universalis has more then one game? *drool*

Lord Sandman
16-12-2004, 13:47
EU series from Paradox has more than one part:
I know Europa Universalis, Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron I and II, Crusader Kings, Victoria, Crown of the North........ Every of these games are similar, but every of these games have different playtime, options, takes places on different territories...

Mediävist
16-12-2004, 16:05
Hmm -- there ARE certain similarities between the Paradox games, but it's a pretty far stretch to say that Europa Universalis I or II is very much like Victoria or Hearts of Iron. The games all have something of the same "feel" to them, but they're about vatly different topics & emphasize different things.

Anyway, back on topic . . . could we have some feedback, please, from Webamster about plans for the next patch? This is a good game, but it's got to be made a lot more challenging. How could we help?

Lord Sandman
16-12-2004, 23:23
Hmm -- there ARE certain similarities between the Paradox games, but it's a pretty far stretch to say that Europa Universalis I or II is very much like Victoria or Hearts of Iron. The games all have something of the same "feel" to them, but they're about vatly different topics & emphasize different things.

Anyway, back on topic . . . could we have some feedback, please, from Webamster about plans for the next patch? This is a good game, but it's got to be made a lot more challenging. How could we help?

Similar IMO doesn't means "the same". Look at the way of moving armies, look at borders and strategy maps...Every battles are fighting automatically... And finally for example in Crusader Kings there is a possibility to move saved games and convert them to saves which "run" on Europa Universalis II. But you're right, these games are different but when you look at them you see that they're amde by the same people ( except Crusader Kings - Paradox is "only" publisher).

And, whats with next patch for KoH????

Mediävist
17-12-2004, 15:58
But you're right, these games are different but when you look at them you see that they're amde by the same people ( except Crusader Kings - Paradox is "only" publisher).
No, actually Paradox developed CK in-house, too. It's the first game they self-published, after the collapse of Strategy First.

And, whats with next patch for KoH????
Indeed! Still waiting for something from the source . . . .

Lord-Piecemeal
17-12-2004, 16:27
There is a patch Suggestion thread, talking on next patch,issues and what you want in it.

This being the first patch, and not all problems solved, I think there will be a stronger patch to come.

This game has great potent, and I am sure will go far, with a little help from the makers.

Starforge
17-12-2004, 17:18
Completelly agree!
I abaddon the game, because it's too easy for me. It doesn't have any chalenge and unfortunatelly boring me after few hours of playing.
I don't think that KoH is bad game - it's one of my favourite games (for innovation, graphics, and medieval feelings) besisdes R:TW, M:TW, all Europa Universalis series, but IMO AI is the weakest when I compare KoH to these games....

AI is weakest? R:TW and M:TW - if you want an interesting game, let the computer fight all the battles because it cheats for AI units but is an idiot in tactical combat. R:TW was the biggest letdown since MOO3 (and that's saying something) since the tactical AI seemed to get even dumber than M:TW. It looks cool, though, so it'll sell to the 12 year olds. EU series (one of my personal favorite games, btw) can be thoroughly raped by a good player since even though the AI cheats, there are ways to manipulate it. Short of a game of chess, point out to me ONE computer game that has a good AI and doesn't cheat heavily. Having the computer throw the full weight of the barbarian hordes at you because you can easily defeat 10x your number on the battlefield does not a "hard" game setting make.

That's not to say that improvements shouldn't be made or suggestions offered, but I certainly wouldn't put their current effort far behind any of the other similar games on the market.

Mediävist
17-12-2004, 18:47
AI is weakest? R:TW and M:TW - if you want an interesting game, let the computer fight all the battles because it cheats for AI units but is an idiot in tactical combat. R:TW was the biggest letdown since MOO3 (and that's saying something) since the tactical AI seemed to get even dumber than M:TW. It looks cool, though, so it'll sell to the 12 year olds. EU series (one of my personal favorite games, btw) can be thoroughly raped by a good player since even though the AI cheats, there are ways to manipulate it. Short of a game of chess, point out to me ONE computer game that has a good AI and doesn't cheat heavily. Having the computer throw the full weight of the barbarian hordes at you because you can easily defeat 10x your number on the battlefield does not a "hard" game setting make.

That's not to say that improvements shouldn't be made or suggestions offered, but I certainly wouldn't put their current effort far behind any of the other similar games on the market.
Personally, I have nothing against letting the a.i. cheat to make the game interesting, as long as the tendency of the cheatrs aren't massively in violation of the spirit of the game.

Starforge
17-12-2004, 21:11
Personally, I have nothing against letting the a.i. cheat to make the game interesting, as long as the tendency of the cheatrs aren't massively in violation of the spirit of the game.

And I don't disagree with giving the AI a bit of a "bonus" when placing the difficulty higher. It seems, though, that a common tactic around actually programming decent AI is "just throw more units at them." I uninstalled R:TW after about the 50th raise of a siege wherein I was able to arrow the enemy to death (God forbid that they figure out all that they have to do is stay out of range......it IS a siege after all). But since they were able to manufactura an ungodly amount of units....it was siege after siege at the same castle in typical AI single-minded fashion.

But I digress to another game :gaga2:

Mediävist
21-12-2004, 15:03
And I don't disagree with giving the AI a bit of a "bonus" when placing the difficulty higher. It seems, though, that a common tactic around actually programming decent AI is "just throw more units at them." I uninstalled R:TW after about the 50th raise of a siege wherein I was able to arrow the enemy to death (God forbid that they figure out all that they have to do is stay out of range......it IS a siege after all). But since they were able to manufactura an ungodly amount of units....it was siege after siege at the same castle in typical AI single-minded fashion.
I know what you mean, though. One thing that sometimes bothers me about combined strategic/tactical games is that they substitute mindless numbers of units for an evolved a.i. It really cuts down on the replayability, in my opinion.

Nadine Knobloch
23-12-2004, 11:24
Hey guys!

I'm damn sure this will disappoint you: BSS doesn't work on a second patch at the moment and it's not planned to do so - sorry I would have loved to spread some more enjoyable news... :(

Mediävist
28-12-2004, 17:03
Hey guys!

I'm damn sure this will disappoint you: BSS doesn't work on a second patch at the moment and it's not planned to do so - sorry I would have loved to spread some more enjoyable news... :(
Nadine, if you are a beta for BSS or otherwise in communication with them, you should let them know that this is a BAD move on their part. Flawed games that nevertheless are supported and improved get you loyal customers and people who become committed to being part of the "team," as Paradox's experience has shown over the years. I am sure that I am not speaking only for myself when I say that KoH will probably end up as the only BSS-designed game that I will ever buy new from the publisher. Everyone who has any experience playing complex strategy games knows that they're hard to get right out of the box. But we have a right to expect more extended customer support than this.

Irish
28-12-2004, 17:56
^^I agree 100%. I will never buy another BSS game or recommend one to my many friends. The producers know this game is flawed but wish to do nothing, so I have learned my lesson, off to find a new game.

Frujin
29-12-2004, 09:42
Guys, it is not that BSS do not want to patch the game. It is because of the current circumstances, which BSS has very little possibility to change. Supporting games is expensive effort. BSS is already doing its best, but it can't afford to do more only on its own.

NoxMortus
29-12-2004, 12:08
There are also many issues of bugs that arise when you start editing scripts, so just give them time. Not too much <like EE which patched once twice in a year>. The AI is very weak even on hard. Let's hope any new patch makes the game a challenge.

Lord-Piecemeal
29-12-2004, 12:08
I am sorry to hear this news,and feel a little deflated.

With the game being better on par with Medevial total war, i was hopeing for a better support.

Well there are other games comeing out soon, so maybe they will fill the bill. :blush:

I will however still play the Single player game, and get some fun out of It.

Mediävist
30-12-2004, 15:58
Guys, it is not that BSS do not want to patch the game. It is because of the current circumstances, which BSS has very little possibility to change. Supporting games is expensive effort. BSS is already doing its best, but it can't afford to do more only on its own.
Frujin, care to explain further? I know that patching a game generates zero income for the publisher, but as I said above, it DOES create a loyal fan base and gives people confidence in the publisher. Furthermore, it now appears to me that creating a game system, patching it, and then releasing the sequel is really the only way to develop an outstanding strategy game. Here again, Paradox seems to set the standard.