PDA

View Full Version : Size of the Map

Pages : [1] 2 3

Frujin
21-12-2003, 15:18
Today I made some tests. I measured the time needed for an infantry army to march from Portugal to the Moskow and even a bit north. It took exacly 26 minutes of non-stop march.

Have in mind that I turned the AI and rebels OFF before, so noone was attacking me or getting upset because of me invading foreign lands.

Comments? :)

Angryminer
21-12-2003, 15:22
My two cents *searches in his pokets* - okay - my one cent:

Perhaps a bit too fast. Something around 40 minutes would fit nicer.
Or will we be able to control that by ourselves? *points at those beautiful ' + ' and ' - ' keys on the num-pad*

Angryminer

Arjenvs
21-12-2003, 15:28
That means in a quick calculation....

If you have in mind.... A marching army marches 4 Km an Houre...

Distance from lisabon to Moskow....around 4000 km as the birth flies...

so 1000 houres....in 26 minutes.....

so 1 minute is around 38 houres.....

sounds good to me....:cheers:

Is the time speed chanceable?

Angryminer
21-12-2003, 15:37
"so 1 minute is around 38 houres....."
Let's have realistic day-/night-change! :D
Now I know why Frank always said that battles are fast. ;)

"Is the time speed changeable?"
Let's hope so. I'd like to have it rather slow, so I have enough time to bring my evil plans on the way and watch those inferior bastards loose their whole kingdom *muhahaha*.

Angryminer

Frank Fay
21-12-2003, 15:52
As Frujin said, he turned off AI and Rebels. Your army never ever will make it from Portugal to Russia without harm later in the game.

AI turned off means for instance:

- no intercepting army
- no diplomatic messages, warnings and threats
- no rebels who wait for fresh meat
etc.

He wanted to show how big the map is :cool:

Angryminer
21-12-2003, 16:14
But let us have a changeable time-speed so we can adjust the "mapsize" (time-to-cross-the-whole-map) by ourselves.

Angryminer

Frank Fay
21-12-2003, 16:27
that is a matter of what our testers will say....

G_R
21-12-2003, 17:40
So with a very very big and experienced army we could smash -in about 1-2 hours- whole Europe?
Speaking - if not having any diplomatical relations with other nations - just brute force.

Frujin
21-12-2003, 17:42
Currently we have "+" and "-" keys working :)

Frujin
21-12-2003, 17:46
Also, for example, I'm playing now with Aragon (a small province in Iberian peninsula). I played for 2 hours and 5 minutes so far and I was able to conquer all Iberian peninsule without Portugal (they have some nasty Knight ruling the Castle of Lisboa) and I can;t get thru for now. I got Western France till Bretagne. And also I have one territory in English islands (given to me as heritage). The last one was Corsica given to me by Italy in exchange of me agreeing to alliance with them.

And that's all for 2 hours playing. And as you can imagine - I rock in this game :)

So, actually I have 11 territories from 100+ ...

Cork2
21-12-2003, 19:03
Originally posted by Frujin
Also, for example, I'm playing now with Aragon (a small province in Iberian peninsula). I played for 2 hours and 5 minutes so far and I was able to conquer all Iberian peninsule without Portugal (they have some nasty Knight ruling the Castle of Lisboa) and I can;t get thru for now. I got Western France till Bretagne. And also I have one territory in English islands (given to me as heritage). The last one was Corsica given to me by Italy in exchange of me agreeing to alliance with them.

And that's all for 2 hours playing. And as you can imagine - I rock in this game :)

So, actually I have 11 territories from 100+ ...

Oh wow, that is good. When you said some nasty Knight rulling the Castle of Lisboa What did you mean by that? Is he cruel to his people or is he to powerful to defeat?

Also is it Possible to Give away a province for an alliance. I would hate to have a provine surronded by enemys all by its self.

Today I made some tests. I measured the time needed for an infantry army to march from Portugal to the Moskow and even a bit north. It took exacly 26 minutes of non-stop march.

Wow that is a long time. It sounds good to me. I don't know were these places are but is it acrose europe?or just half of it?

Frank Fay
21-12-2003, 19:09
I don't know were these places are but is it acrose europe?or just half of it?

It is from one of the most far west to one of the most far east realms.

Henrik
21-12-2003, 19:22
Gooossshhhh :eek: if Frujin has taken so to get that "far" then do that game save don't corrupt the game files :)

Btw, Frujin stated that it took him 26 minutes to get from one end of Europe to the other - as far as i remember, then in AOK it took a unit on foot aprox. 15 min. to get from one side to the other on the huge maps - so this should get us some picture of how large the size of the map is - i'm ofcaurse aware that you can't compare the two games mapsize excactly cause in order to do that correctly, you would need to make sure that the two units in AOK and KOH walked at the same speed.

Frank Fay
21-12-2003, 19:35
The speed on the European map is not 1:1 related to the size of army vs. map....

Cork2
21-12-2003, 20:06
Originally posted by Frank Fay
It is from one of the most far west to one of the most far east realms.

Oh okay. Thats is pretty far. How big was your army when you tryed this? Could you try it again with the ai and rebel thing on and tell us how many units you have got left?

Es.
21-12-2003, 22:01
hmmm 26min
hmmm thats, thats either a snail walking or a freaking huge map, but i like it
:cheers:
Only concern with such big a map, is at the end of the game, it tend to be quite boring just moving in armies to finish of the rest of the pathetic kingdoms, standing in your way of total domination.
Alright i know you can get elected as emperor of Europe and finish the game that way, but if that ain't your style, i just hope you some how have managed to put in some resistence and entertainment till the werry end of the game.
Cause those last 3-4 sometimes more houers you can spend at the end of a counqour the world game, just anihaliting your enemy blind folded and with your arms on the neck are so easy and borring.

*Edit*
By the way Cork, that question is a bit something i can't pout words on, cause it will change each and evry time.
The larger the army the less losses cause it will be better fighting.
To small army and it won't make it.
And then it also depends on your luck, how many rebels you meat, how many kingdoms will attack you.
And so on so doubt it can ever be answeared.
*edit*

Arjenvs
21-12-2003, 22:25
Currently we have "+" and "-" keys working :)

For speed I assume?

I really think that is something that the game can't do without....I don't know a real time startegy game where you can not change the game speed....

Elewyn
21-12-2003, 23:06
Nice discussion. I think it is good time . To problem of moving forces through whole Europe befor the end to conquere last few kingdoms. It's srealistic. You MUST have these problems when you have that huge kingdom.And also, in that huge kgdm, you should have many knights with armies in diferent regions, in minimum one in the West, one in Balkans, one in Scandinavia etc.

So, my question is: how many days/nights did it take, these 26 minutes of march?

Es.
21-12-2003, 23:16
Originally posted by Elewyn
So, my question is: how many days/nights did it take, these 26 minutes of march?
Imagines he is Frujin
Ohhh **** i forgot to count, can you wait 26min.

Arjenvs
22-12-2003, 00:18
Originally posted by Elewyn

Yes that is a directer and better question....then we know precisely how it works.....:cheers: