PDA

View Full Version : Spain

Largefry07
31-12-2004, 17:49
Yesterday I was playing as castila in the high period and conquered all of Spain. The window poped up asking if I wanted to take the name of Spain and collect 10,000 gold or keep playing as Castila. I choose to become Spain. Then I noticed that England declared war on me. We were'nt at war before I was Spain. So why did England declare war on me when I became Spain?

Illuminatus!
31-12-2004, 22:27
Having only played the demo (bout a million times, though :P) here's my hypothesis...

At the start of the game some things are completely random for every province (most obvious example being Province Features) and others are somewhat random (limited to a certain number of assigned possibilities unique to that kingdom or province). Diplomatic relations fall in the latter category. But what does this have to do with your union of Spain/Iberia? Part of the game mechanics (the part or parts that control(s) diplomatic relations, at least) sees this as the beginning of a new nation, so relations are changed accordingly. Plus there's a historical justification of the rivalry between Spain and England (but it took place 200+ or so years after the "Late Middle Ages" period).

Angryminer
01-01-2005, 12:15
I believe that the events don't have anything in common and simultanious appearance was just plain luck.

Angryminer

Largefry07
01-01-2005, 17:02
Uh, go figure. I thought there were kinked because they happened at the same time and I didn't get a message that England declared war on me.

Elvain
01-01-2005, 18:50
I don't know what was the reason, the only I can tell you is that it's not pre-defined. Uniting of spain affects your relations with one islamic nation automatically, but not with England.

Maybe England was ally of some kingdom you have beaten?

Illuminatus!
01-01-2005, 20:17
Maybe England was ally of some kingdom you have beaten?

I like my idea better :P, but that's more likely, I guess.

Elvain
01-01-2005, 20:22
you mean anglo-spanish rivality from "new age" english conversion to protestantism?

Yes, it is very probable, but I hope it's not the reason :)

NoxMortus
02-01-2005, 06:25
You'd probably find that england sees your unification as a direct threat to them, hence why they declared war upon you.

Illuminatus!
03-01-2005, 00:26
Maybe a new personality trait ("Paranoid") for Kings should be introduced?

NDR_Scorpion
07-01-2005, 00:58
The same thing happened to me while I was playing as England. I had an alliance with Leon and was at "United". I noticed that Leon only needed 1 more province then it would become Spain. So I took the province and gave it to Leon and once Spain had been unified I was at war with them. :bconfused

DarkIllusion
19-01-2005, 22:59
mayb cuz of the historical fact that Spain went to war with England n lost cuz of religion? (dont listen to history class) Mayb the guys at sunflower did it on purpose or is just a bug ...