PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite unit??

Pages : [1] 2

Ukrainik
20-01-2005, 03:05
I just wanted to make a poll to find out which units do you prefer.
Here are subtopics for the poll:

Foot unit
Ranged
Cavalry

Please describe why you like a particular unit (don't forget about the unit cost) :ycool: also include the weeknesses and strengths as you experienced in the game.

:scratch:

One more subtopic what is a composition of your perfect army.

Anguille2
20-01-2005, 08:19
Higlanders..... :knight: they are just so cool.

Haven't seen any weakness yet.

I like to have about 4 archers units, 1 pikes, 1 cavalery and the rest Higlanders...

Aesenius
20-01-2005, 10:24
Best of all foot units are Varangians. Excellent defense and outstanding melee for a foot unit, but little slower. Other choices are Normans or Roman infantry.

As heavy cavalry I prefer Cataphracts instead of Feudal knights.

I don’t use ranged units like archers or longbow men in field armies. They are good defenders of castles. If I use ranged units then I use ballistas, but this requires engineering skill. Of course this give me a an advantage of having 13 units instead of 9.

Composition of my perfect army:
6 foot units(Varangians/Roman infantry), 3 mounted units (Cataphracts) and 4 ballistas.
Marshals skills: Fanatic, Dread, Strategist, Tactics, Admiral, Engineering - if I play orthodox kingdom.

NoxMortus
20-01-2005, 12:42
peasants! The angry farmer scares the mightiest knight.

Teutonic knights are the strongest infantry in the game...

Elvain
20-01-2005, 12:51
I like templars as foot unit the most (but they are little too expensive and their defense is not as strong as I would like, but they're just beautiful to watch :go:

As cavalry I like Cataphracts as my tanks
but not as much as Steppe cavalry, they are just amazing-fast, not so expensive, good archers and good in melee. They are also my favourite ranged unit (coz they are faster than any other ranged unit)
I have 3 ideal armies:

orthodox(Armenia, Byzantia):
3 cataphracts, 6 steppe cavalry as "emergency"
3 roman infantry, 2 cataphracts, 2 steppe cavalry, 2 archers for conquest
catholic(Bohemia, Burgundy):
2 feudal knights, 3-4 templars, 3-4 crossbowmen
Mongol(Goldfen Horde):
6 Mongolian cavalry, 3 Steppe cavalry - UNDEFEATABLE(on the field)

dsj
20-01-2005, 19:10
Mongol(Goldfen Horde):
6 Mongolian cavalry, 3 Steppe cavalry - UNDEFEATABLE(on the field)

I don't know how good the game is but in real life european archers and heavy crossbow men together can out shoot them.

Grand Master Winz of Teutons
20-01-2005, 20:16
I don't know how good the game is but in real life european archers and heavy crossbow men together can out shoot them.

Actually crossbowmen can't and never could shoot really far that's what I'm trying to tell you, they were special and unique because they could pierce through armor because of the deadly bolts that there crossbows shot. Crossbowmen could never really shoot fast either, an average crossbowmen could only shoot two shots per minute and thats if he was lucky and also anybody could have been able to handle the crossbow because not that much experience was needed to handle a crossbow. Also the cavalry from the steepes of asia used composite bows which can shoot farther and better than normal bows. Composite bows required more skill and handling than a normal bow thats why the hordes of the steepes were so lethal to the europeans because of there skills and there ability to move quickly with their horses. :bland:

Aesenius
20-01-2005, 20:19
I don't know how good the game is but in real life European archers and heavy crossbow men together can out shoot them.

I don't agree with you dsj. Using HIT 'n' RUN tactics with fast Horse archers is best way to demoralize your opponent and win. So I agree with Elvian, Mongolian cavalry and Steppe cavalry – could be undefeatable on the field, in real life and in the game.
European archers are good and heavy crossbow even better, but they lack the mobility.

Of course outcome will be different if you play same tactics, more then once, in multiplayer.

the knightly sword
20-01-2005, 20:21
templars and feudal knights .

JavalTigar
20-01-2005, 22:23
Longbow. No Question. They have turned the tide for me in many battles.

Death from a distance! They out range regular archers, and demoralize all who are unfortunate enough to stand before my armies.

Angryminer
20-01-2005, 22:46
The King and his guards.
You got to love the morale-bonus. :go:

Angryminer

Illuminatus!
20-01-2005, 23:35
The King and his guards.
You got to love the morale-bonus. :go:

Angryminer

Funniest part of the demo AI...an enemy King/marshal with no army is surrounded by a sea of white-clad peasants.

:lol:

DarkIllusion
21-01-2005, 05:00
Teutonic knighs r good but you can just hit n run on them with archers :evil:

leaven
21-01-2005, 06:57
I like to lead armies of Teutonic Knights with archers or crossbowmen support.

Ukrainik
22-01-2005, 16:16
My personal favorite is Steppe Cavalry with three units of something heave for support like Boyars or Cataphracts. The are pretty much unbeatable because of the unit speed and versatility ( both good attacks with arrows and hand to hand) Plus you can just lure the heavy units away from the enemy marshal and then make a cabbage out of him:)

FrankishKnight
24-01-2005, 09:00
Well seeing as I always play with Western European countries ( Munster, Leinster, ( not Ulster, the flag is butt-ugly ), Scotland, Denmark and Gelre ) I have difficulties putting together a good army at the start. Lucky for me, the British isles have good starting alternatives like the Longbowmen. When I manage to expand to Normandy I can add Normans to my army, which thanks to the ****y AI allows me to expand to the parts of Europe where I can actually get good units. I just don't want to start with Orthodox countries because of the entire Byzantia thing.

That's why my armies usually consist of:

4 squads of Longbowmen / 2 squads of Normans, 2 squads of Vikings/Highlanders and 1 squad of Hobilars/Light Cavalry/Feudal Knights after I manage to complete enough buildings.

And then I :angry: Europe.

Coffeemilk_Q
24-01-2005, 13:18
6 or 7 squads of steppe cavalry, supported by 4 ballista's, and 2 or 3 cavalry squads like the byzantium spear cavalry It demoralizes (or how the hell it is spelled) your enemy and your enemy won't get even close to your lines. I always let them come, and just form a nice line with a squad in wedge formation, ballista, squad in wedge formation, ballista etc etc.

Even works in sieges, just kill a few troops with the ballista's ...watch out for catapults, then destroy the gate with cavalry and kill everyone inside.

FrankishKnight
24-01-2005, 15:14
You spelled it correctly, Q :-)

Ukrainik
25-01-2005, 01:36
Q, right on brotha, that's the exact strategy I use :cheers: except I go over to the opponent as soon as the battle starts. this way by the time he gets to my lines (if he actually makes it;) he has only his general left with a couple puny troops who are so demoralized that it's almost sad. The reason why I'm so aggressive with steppe cavalry is that i don't like to loose experience when I restock the unit so I make sure the enemy is demoralized and running way before he even sees my general. :bowl:

Another good trick I think is to ride around with 4-5 units of steepe and execute the general, this way you don't even need to fight the rest of the army. cheap and fast:)

:angel:

Coffeemilk_Q
25-01-2005, 17:43
another thing I really like 2 to with sieges, is to knock down the enemy gate, and rush in a few squads of archers, occupie their gatehouse and a few towers en them shoot them..while they are counter attacking...

To the dev's this really needs improvement...they keep sending one squad at a time, and always in a frontal assault, never flank me using their towers....