PDA

View Full Version : Where is the clock?

sdrga
23-04-2005, 05:47
I'm used to always finding a clock rolling forward showing me the time and date with any of the Paradox titles. Why do I not see one in the Knights of Honor demo? That's pretty important, isn't it?

Yes, I know KOH is not a Paradox title.

What gives?

Elvain
23-04-2005, 09:39
If you mean clock as time counter, here are the resons why BlackSeaStudios decided not to put it in the game:
if there was a year counter then you have to decide between two choices:
1) to limit the game by some date, if we are in middle ages, it would be say 1453 or 1492 (some historians would consider also 1648) In the late period it would mean you have only about 100 or 150 years to play :nono:
2) not to limit the game - let it continue untill say 1620, 1815, then 1914 and 1942, 1991, 2001, and then ? it would be strange to lead your knights in charge in 3150 A.D., wouldn't?

Also each "time period" in KoH doesn't start exactly in one year. "High period" starts oficialy in 1200, but if you look at map, there is already Teutonic order which came to Baltics in 1227, there are "Latin states" on Bosporus and in Greece, which emerged in 1204 etc.
Also there would be problem with historical events such as the Black death. Should it come in 1340 or not? And if the game would continue, would the reformation happen?
This game is made to enable you to write your own history, and it's up on you to transfer the time in your game to reality :go:

if you want only simple clock, press F11 and in the right top corner you'll see time elapsed from your game

sdrga
23-04-2005, 16:52
If you mean clock as time counter, here are the resons why BlackSeaStudios decided not to put it in the game:
if there was a year counter then you have to decide between two choices:
1) to limit the game by some date, if we are in middle ages, it would be say 1453 or 1492 (some historians would consider also 1648) In the late period it would mean you have only about 100 or 150 years to play :nono:
2) not to limit the game - let it continue untill say 1620, 1815, then 1914 and 1942, 1991, 2001, and then ? it would be strange to lead your knights in charge in 3150 A.D., wouldn't?

Also each "time period" in KoH doesn't start exactly in one year. "High period" starts oficialy in 1200, but if you look at map, there is already Teutonic order which came to Baltics in 1227, there are "Latin states" on Bosporus and in Greece, which emerged in 1204 etc.
Also there would be problem with historical events such as the Black death. Should it come in 1340 or not? And if the game would continue, would the reformation happen?
This game is made to enable you to write your own history, and it's up on you to transfer the time in your game to reality :go:

Perfect, Elvain! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I have an order direct with Paradox for CK as well as KOH and I'll look forward to both arriving sometime after May 10th. HOI2 1.2 and Victoria are keeping my plenty busy until then.

One other thing, I pretty much found my way around the KOH demo without documentation (which is a real compliment to the designers), but is there any other PDF or quick game guide to follow on the demo? I know they probably just wanted to get the demo out into circulation, and it looks and feels great, but it would've be nice to have a one or two pager to get new players off the ground. My experience with other Paradox titles kind of informs my intuition, but what about people brand new to the product line?

Thanks again,

Steve

Elvain
23-04-2005, 19:37
well, In this case I - unfortunately - can't help you since I don't know.
Angryminer?
Webi?
Frujin?

Angryminer
23-04-2005, 19:41
To my knowledge there us no online documentation for KoH or the demo, though the tutorial clears up the most essential things.

And by the way: Welcome to the forums, sdrga! :go:

Angryminer

sdrga
24-04-2005, 06:54
the tutorial clears up the most essential things.

And by the way: Welcome to the forums, sdrga! :go:

Angryminer

Wow, that's embarassing!!

I TOTALLY missed the tutorial!!!! It was right there. Thanks, Angryminer!!

I'll be back. Jeez. :bday: :bday: I'm using those for a dunce cap. I guess you guys are Euro players that already have the full-fledged game that I'm having to wait a couple more weeks for.

Thanks again, Angryminer. Now I can probably get going since the in-game documentation for the demo looks like it's the same as it probably is for the full game, and it looks pretty good with lots of hyperlinks. I can already see this is going to be the sleeper title of the year that'll sneak up on everyone. :hello: :hello:

Angryminer
24-04-2005, 11:58
Nice that I could help you. :wink:
I also hope that KoH is blessed with a fair success in the USA.

Angryminer

BFawlty
27-04-2005, 06:10
If word gets out I think it will do alright. Is an enjoyable demo, and I missed the tutorial the first time myself.

BF