PDA

View Full Version : Beating the computer in battles

Tompskij
08-05-2005, 23:27
Any tips and tricks how to do this? I lose almost all the time, even when I outnumber them. :lol:

Elvain
08-05-2005, 23:39
here is a whole thread full of advices:
Tips, tricks and tactics (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=3455)
I guess you'll find there something :go:

Ldvs
09-05-2005, 10:30
One tactic I often use is that I outflank the weakest side of the enemy's army so that they will break quickly and spread fear in the remaining units. If you give my tactic a try, make sure the side you won't use during the attack is your strongest because they'll have to hold off the AI army.
Also, whatever the tactic you use, always leave reinforcements behind the main line. They will be sent in the hottest points where your soldiers are in dire need of support. It will prevent massive routs, so don't throw all your forces at your enemy at once :lol:

Tompskij
09-05-2005, 10:31
Thank you very much.
Now I have the full game!
*Installing*

:cheers:

Elvain
09-05-2005, 10:59
have phun! :go:

PS: good tactic is to have balanced army - at least 3 ranged units, 2 cavalry, 2-4 medium or heavy infantry (men-at-arms, templars, normans, roman infantry, teutonic knights or saracens) 1-2 polearm units.
Keep the knight behind the infantry front line. If they start to loose, charge and support them, it increases their morale drasically :smile: Send the cavalry asside and flank enemy archers just before they reach your squads.
Don't leave the knight alone!

Angryminer
09-05-2005, 12:54
1. Make frequent use of the pause-button. Check the enemy army, where which tapes of units are and who they are propably going for. That helps to end dangerous situations even before they occur.
Example:
"Oh, a squad of feudal knight on my right flank, the AI propably tries to kill my marshall... Crossbowmen! Intercept!"
2. Be sure to have a bit cavalry on your own flanks. Once the enemy strategy is clear you can then use this cavalry to disrupt critical points of his strategy.
Example:
Enemy archery are moving into position and will propably soon be in range to do away with your main auxiliary force (swordsmen, spearmen, peasants). Use one of the cavalry squads to charge at the archers. Once they flee from the fight withdraw your cavalry and hope that as many as possible survive.
3. When only few good troops are available, think about the possibility to sacrifice troops.
Example:
You are defending a town and have mainly peasants, but are attacked by better equipped troops. You will propably want to use some of the peasants as "cannon fodder" for the enemy cavalry (be sure to spread the formation), to keep them busy while your townguards are rolling in.
4. Attention! Use flanking bonus, use moral bonus, use morale penalties.
Your troops will be more effective when they attack an enemy squad from the flanks or rear. Enemy troops will suffer morale penalties when their marshall's squad loses men, or when they see that enemy troops are behind them, or when they see their own men fleeing, or when their formation is heavily disrupted. Use these effects to strike the enemy troops with terror. Use your own marshall when your troops' morale is going down. Charge your marshall at some peasants or other easy-to-slaughter troops. Once the marshall enters the fight your troops will gain some morale for the next 2 minutes. You can withdraw the marshall immediately. When the marshall is a prince or even king, the troops will have a general morale-bonus and when the king enters the fighting the morale-bonus will be very high.
Be sure that your marshall does not lose too many of his guards. When the marshall's guards are killed your troops' morale goes down!
5. Danger! Friendly fire!
Stop your archers from obliterating your own troops once the enemy is in melee range. You will slaughter your own men!
6. Use arrows only where effective. Arrows are useless against armor. Use the arrows against light armor. Use crossbosmen against armored enemies.

My suggestions for armies:
1. Budget army:
- 3 ranged units
- 6 cheap melee units (peasants, swordsmen)
2. The allrounder-army:
- 2 ranged units
- 2 light cavalry squads (when trying to conquer a town, exchange with ranged units)
- 5 squads of medium infantry (men-at-arms)
3. Let's slaughter them, no matter the cost:
- 3 squads ranged units, at least one of them crossbowmen, because armored enemies are likely at this stage
- 2 squads heavy cavalry
- 1 squad armored polearms (exchangeable with heavy infantry)
- 3 squads heavy infantry (templars, etc.)

Angryminer

William Blake
10-05-2005, 00:23
How can you lose to PC anyway? I played battles on 10th speed most of the time with pause to re-assign orders :)

PS
Try a full pack of shooters, all in tight boxes, all units together on a hill. Marshal - 3d level of archery, 3d level of jousting, some levels in dread.

Enemy wont get to your men most of the time, especially then you shoot fire. and it they do marshal charge can crush rest of them:)

Tompskij
10-05-2005, 01:21
Thanks for the responses everyone. I diden't really think about flanking earlier. But now I understand how important moral is in this game :cool:
I love crossbowmen :go:

On the game im playing on now im Sweden (hey, cool that my town Östersund is included...it was founded in the 1800th) and I got Norway, Denmark and some stuff around Denmark like Saxony etc. And its east VS west...Everyone is in this war and I got alliance with to many people....hehe. :eek: