PDA

View Full Version : Battles/Opinions

Pages : [1] 2

riskbreaker86
13-05-2005, 16:19
Just wanted to ask what your opinions about the battles in KoH are? they are reminiscant of Caesar III, do you fight them? do you think they are sufficient or could have been better? and one final question, is it possible to play the whole game while letting the AI fight the battles for you? ie not choose to lead any battles. Or will this result in too many loses? your opinions on this issue would be great! thanks.

Elvain
13-05-2005, 16:33
Just wanted to ask what your opinions about the battles in KoH are? they are reminiscant of Caesar III, do you fight them? do you think they are sufficient or could have been better? and one final question, is it possible to play the whole game while letting the AI fight the battles for you? ie not choose to lead any battles. Or will this result in too many loses? your opinions on this issue would be great! thanks.
I don't know how are they in comparison to Caesar III as I didn't play Caesar. But you can lead all battles on your own or leave them all to AI. Of course when you leave it to AI there will be higher losses than if you lead it yourself.
From my own experience when your army with cavalry meets army with polearm/pike unitsm you'll have high losses of cavalry, but if you lead it yourself, you can send your infantry(or archers) to kill pikes and then smash the rest with cavalry

Drachen
13-05-2005, 17:34
as an avid player of total war series, i think it is better to fight the battles yourself. they are not too challenging and you can reduce casualties.

after getting used to the ontrols, i've managed to cause routs in the AI's mostly peasant armies (especially rebels) with my archers, crossbows, siege machines even before they reach my army...

riskbreaker86
13-05-2005, 17:52
hmm well im not too keen on the battle engine used in KoH, it's no RTW! and so it was not meant to be, i've only played the demo so i'm yet to see if the larger battles are any good, hopefully the game is playable, and perhaps more challenging if you let the AI fight the battles. I was bored of them after only a couple of fights on the demo.

Angryminer
13-05-2005, 20:25
I grow more interested in the battle the more I fight.
In the beginning I always had the AI solve the battles. But now I fight nearly every battle that is not against rebels.

That's because I usually take advantage of very complex strategies. I just love to see the bonuses apply and leave my troops vastly superior, or win a battle through my strategy where the AI would have failed.

Closing statement: The battles in KoH are about what they should be. They aren't the main part, but make a good game better.
Btw: In my opinion RTW's battles seriously lack overview and "life".

Angryminer

riskbreaker86
14-05-2005, 00:41
well your comments give me renewed vigor to try out the battles. thanks a lot. :go:

Ignoramus
14-05-2005, 00:47
The Rome Battles are good, but the pathetic AI ruins them completely! The AI will move inside range of your towers, archers, and slingers, stand there until there's about 10 left and then flee!

riskbreaker86
14-05-2005, 00:55
yes and its easy to fight off 2 full armies with 5 units of phalanx stood in the shape of a pentagon because the enemy AI can't handle it. Plus the game lacks any real balance, Parthians/Seleucids etc rout at the slightest sign of danger and the Carthaginians are just useless.

Ignoramus
14-05-2005, 03:54
yes and its easy to fight off 2 full armies with 5 units of phalanx stood in the shape of a pentagon because the enemy AI can't handle it. Plus the game lacks any real balance, Parthians/Seleucids etc rout at the slightest sign of danger and the Carthaginians are just useless.

Yes, Carthage is supposed to be a power equal to the Romans, but they fall to the Scipii in about 25 turns!

William Blake
14-05-2005, 04:10
You wont understand KoH tactical battles until you play vs human, a decent human I should say.

System itself is UBER. You can pick up some features from
http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=2176

Elvain
14-05-2005, 10:05
The Rome Battles are good, but the pathetic AI ruins them completely! The AI will move inside range of your towers, archers, and slingers, stand there until there's about 10 left and then flee!
you totaly contradict yourself. How can a battle with no challenge against totaly silly enemy be good? :scratch: KoH AI is unwise, but from what I heard, compared to RTW AI it is genious

Ignoramus
14-05-2005, 10:20
you totaly contradict yourself. How can a battle with no challenge against totaly silly enemy be good? :scratch: KoH AI is unwise, but from what I heard, compared to RTW AI it is genious

Well, they graphics are good, you can get very close up to the units, and the cities look good. I can understand how you misunderstood my comment.

Elvain
14-05-2005, 10:27
but I don't fight battles to look at units. To see them I can see screenshots (and to be honest the don't look very nice on screenshots IMO)

Ignoramus
14-05-2005, 11:42
but I don't fight battles to look at units. To see them I can see screenshots (and to be honest the don't look very nice on screenshots IMO)

I know, I know, that is one of the reasons I am not playing Romet TW, until the expansion comes out. The AI is the worst I have ever seen. In fact I play Medieval more because its AI is really tough.

Ldvs
14-05-2005, 16:04
As many who have played RTW here, I find the AI uses better tactics than in RTW. While not as tricky as in Medieval TW, the AI will try to flank you, to hit your troops from behind and handles the number of its units pretty well (they're not tossed about carelessly one by one). I play every battle, even against the rebels.

Ukrainik
14-05-2005, 22:11
MTW had the best AI I encountered. It is not ideal but can be very frustrating at times. I think the solution of KoH with the elements of RPG general managing is the best so far, however a bit tougher AI is a must, cause for now steppe cavalry rules the game. In general the unit balance is very good (aside from steppe cav.s maybe making them a bit weaker will balance the game). The graphics depend on personal prefs. I personally like KoH and Age of Kings graphics much better then any 3D strat with its angular, square skins; but that's maybe because I grew up on Dune, Old warcraft and starcraft. In any case KoH has a good idea for their battle mode but it needs some work to give it some more spice:)

Angryminer
15-05-2005, 11:09
The battle-mechanics are genius. The game just wont show you big signs "flanking bonus applies here!" or the like. I don't think they need improvement because I don't know what to add - beside that archers shoot over walls without knowing what is on the other side... That's a bit funny...

Angryminer

HappyAdolf
15-05-2005, 18:51

I always fight the battles by myself and make nearly no losses, but the KI ****s it all up and my super good Marshal dies often...
always lead them yourself!!

Sir Sigmund
15-05-2005, 23:32
Lots of interesting tips here. :)

riskbreaker86
16-05-2005, 15:55
yes bought the game today and my interest in the battles has soared. The camp assaults and sieges are excellent, Byzantines will fall to the mighty ottomans in no time :)