PDA

View Full Version : Knights of Honor is great.. but can anyone answer these questions?

Smirnov
13-05-2005, 23:34
Hi, I just got the game a couple of days ago, I love it :cheers:

I have a few questions.. I started playing in Early. Does the game ever change to High or Late by itself, like in Medieval: Total War, or am I always stuck in Early? I ask this because I for example built all buildings in Muscovy but still the best infantry I can get is crappy Men-At-Arms or Light Cavalry (weak). I want to build better units.

Any way to get more royal court guys than the # of slots at the top of the screen? How am I supposed to move armies around if only one of my cities can build any good units (argh)... why can't I move troops around without a Marshal like in TW?

How come when my king dies, the new king's siblings turn into payed court members? Why don't they stay forever loyal to you like in Rome Total War? Err.

Battles feel a lot more like AoE than *TW series. Am I doing something wrong? All I know is my Men-At-Arms, my *best* infantry keep routing all the damn time. Argh.

How come archers on walls during sieges don't fire at the enemy ??? WTF!!!

Is there any way to get exotic goods in the early period besides using your trader guys?

Right now I have 3 marshals, 1 cleric, and I think 5 traders. Is there any reason to have Farmers or Builders? I know Spies are good but one time I encountered my own King in a battle (he was spying in enemy kingdom) and the idiot killed himself instead of running away to me when he came close to my army.. STUPID.

How do I get rid of these rebels? They keep popping up, I beat them with like 2 losses, they are really annoying. How do I get books quicker so I can adopt provinces quicker? Will all of my provinces abandon me if they still have nostalgia and my king dies?

Do units gain experience at all? If they do, how can I tell? Do they get better if this happens? Are there any kind of unit upgrades I can apply?

William Blake
14-05-2005, 04:08
Period, like early or late has no efffect on a game except initial map and number/names of kingdoms. You never go from one period to another in a game itself.

Royal court is limited to the row on top, no more.

You can't move troops wihtout marshal

Didnt get about siblings

How to fight tactical battles is a huge topic. Some hidden system features are discussed here http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=2176

Archers do shoot from the walls. Unless enemy is right under them, i guess. Dont recall any problems with archers on walls, but towers are much better place for them.

Exotic goods are "produced" in admiralty. Its a building some advanced after "docks". Search forum to learn more or read manual again.

I never used farmers and builders. They ****. not like totaly, but you wont have free slots in a court.

Rebels... kill them, adopt population, build hostels and other stuff, they always show in a new provinces ,but with time its gona be ok.

Check manual on books. Generaly more provinces:) But there are features like independant orthodox church which gives bonus to books.

Units do gain exp, its is shown by stars, you'll see them, but it takes a long time if you marshal doesnt have skill for that. There is no upgrates on units

Elvain
14-05-2005, 09:54
books: the more and more experienced clerics you have, the more books they write. Also build university and churches, they produce books

units availability: if at the beggining you have some units available in province (in grey) you won't have more or other units. To have other units you need to expand.

Farmers and builders are good only temporarily (not like stable merchants or clerics or spies) for this they are too expensive. If using them in original game I used only royal family (to pay 1000 gold for knight I will use only few minutes is useless). They are good only in some specific cases:
landlord: your town has very few food or population and almost no army and enemy is near...
builder: at the beggining of game when you need to build economic buildings as fast as possible, also when you need to fiinsh some building very quickly in some province to build stronger units to defend it from enemy marshal

Smirnov
14-05-2005, 17:17
If my units gain xp, and they are almost wiped out (have like 1 men left), when I get more men, do they keep any experience at all? Otherwise I think I won't bother with upgrading my commander's abilities.

Is there any point to the Engineering skill, cause most of the time I just siege a city and no troops come to reinforce it?

Angryminer
14-05-2005, 18:09
1. No, it wouldn't be logical when one veteran that is together with 29 just recruited rookies would make the whole squad a veretan squad.
2. When you are in haste and want to assault a fortified town the engineering skill makes perfect sense.

Angryminer

Smirnov
14-05-2005, 19:06
One more thing, what's the deal with rebels? No, really? My province has positive happiness and rebels keep coming out of nearby provinces.. should I just take the nearby provinces over? This is making me mad, I want to conquer Europe, not suppress stupid peasant-rebels.

Yeah, and they rout without me using any units most of the time, so is that stupid or what?

Angryminer
14-05-2005, 19:09
When a "famous rebel" doesn't think he will be successful in the province where he is, he will go to another province and see wether he can get his hands on a castle there.

Angryminer

Sir Sigmund
15-05-2005, 08:27
Now that nasty when you get rebels from other provinces to come attack you. O.o

Blasted unhappy, ungrateful peasants, dont they know whom their lord is? hehehe

Elvain
15-05-2005, 08:54
this rebel issue makes the game harder and I like it (although many times it is annoying). But if you have strong castle you don't need to be afraid :wink: