PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries

Ghost
14-05-2005, 07:34
Do mercenaries come with total randomness or do they get attracted by something?
Cause i played a couple games and didnt build any military building only economic ones and i didnt get a single mercenary camp in over an hour! At other games where i did build miltary stuff i did get mercenary!
Am i on to something here or is just coincident?

Elvain
14-05-2005, 10:15
they are random

Ldvs
14-05-2005, 15:37
Don't they sometimes appear after a marshal's army was disbanded? I thought I read that somewhere.

Elvain
14-05-2005, 15:43
yes, when you call back your king/prince marshall back tocourt, his army becomes "mercenary for free" army (for your kingdom), so his men don't disappear.

I think this should be done also when crusader leaves to crusasde (=you lose his army)

Angryminer
14-05-2005, 15:56
It is done. A marshall that is called to a crusade leaves his army as a (free-for-owner) mercenary camp.

Angryminer

Sir Sigmund
14-05-2005, 20:06
It is done. A marshall that is called to a crusade leaves his army as a (free-for-owner) mercenary camp.

Angryminer

Angryminer so your saying my Knight/Marshal gets called to the crusade he disbands his army and rides solo pretty much? So then all I have to do is spend 1000 Gold, buy a new Marshal, and then rebuy my Units. Just asking for clarification on this issue.

Illuminatus!
15-05-2005, 02:37
Angryminer so your saying my Knight/Marshal gets called to the crusade he disbands his army and rides solo pretty much? So then all I have to do is spend 1000 Gold, buy a new Marshal, and then rebuy my Units. Just asking for clarification on this issue.

Um, you don't necessarily lose him right away. Say you have Marshall Watchamacallit in Whatchamawhere. He's got a bunch of really high-powered, expensive units. The Pope asks your marshal to lead a Crusade. You accept. His portrait changes color to a silvery gray, his shield/coat of arms changes to a Crusader's red cross/white field, in the demo your old army dissapears, the army changes to that of a crusader's (mix of Crusader Crossbowmen, Crusader Infantry, and Crusader Cavalry), and he starts off for what the AI sees as the shortest (not the quickest) route. I don't remember if the Crusader army lowers your relations with countries that he goes through. Once he arrives at his destination, he'll pillage a bit, siege/assault the town (he frequently wins), and then you can tell him to: 1) Take the province. The province becomes your vassal and the crusader (your former marshal) becomes king. You lose your marshal - NOW you have to buy another one. 2) Continue pillaging the province. You keep the marshal. At any time, you can recall the marshal back to your service, minus an army.

Angryminer
15-05-2005, 11:27
After the patch is applied (or in the NA-version) the marshall's old army won't just disapear but stay where it was as a mercenary camp, where you can later pick up your squads for free.
When called to a crusade the marshall will be equipped with his crusader-army financed by the pope and become a crusader.
Either he then becomes king of a vasall-state or you withdraw him after a while and have him back at your court.

Angryminer

Smirnov
15-05-2005, 19:41
What I don't understand is if you pick Option #2 Pillage the province and Go to Another province, he doesn't actually GO to another province. This would be really useful to conquer enemies, with my crusader armies slowly mowing through the whole nation and then with my own armies coming up and taking over the ciites.. but no.

Illuminatus!
15-05-2005, 21:45
What I don't understand is if you pick Option #2 Pillage the province and Go to Another province, he doesn't actually GO to another province. This would be really useful to conquer enemies, with my crusader armies slowly mowing through the whole nation and then with my own armies coming up and taking over the ciites.. but no.

Erm, the "go to another province part" isn't in the demo. It's only "Pillage the province." Occaisonaly, the demo crusaders *do* move to another province.