PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty-Setting "Endless"

Angryminer
19-01-2004, 20:53
Concept:
The difficulty-level rises with the size of your nation.
After you conquered a third of the map, the AI-players decide to team up against you, and begin to bribe some of your knights / inflict rebellions, so your nation shrinks again ( you loose some realms to the enemy-kingdoms/new rebellion kingdom ). And because your nation is now smaller, the enemy-alliance will most likely fall apart so it's easier for you to expand again.
That way KoH would be playable for thousands of hours, because your borders change continuously and alliances rise and fall etc. etc.

Angryminer

timurlenk
19-01-2004, 20:58
Originally posted by Angryminer
Concept:
The difficulty-level rises with the size of your nation.
After you conquered a third of the map, the AI-players decide to team up against you, and begin to bribe some of your knights / inflict rebellions, so your nation shrinks again ( you loose some realms to the enemy-kingdoms/new rebellion kingdom ). And because your nation is now smaller, the enemy-alliance will most likely fall apart so it's easier for you to expand again.
That way KoH would be playable for thousands of hours, because your borders change continuously and alliances rise and fall etc. etc.

Angryminer

:scratch:
if it will work this way, you will never end a game, playing millions and milions of hours...

:confused: you are really intersted in an endless game :confused:

Henrik
19-01-2004, 21:02
Originally posted by timurlenk
:scratch:
if it will work this way, you will never end a game, playing millions and milions of hours...

:confused: you are really intersted in an endless game :confused:

I see your point and i must agree with you :) - we all wanna see ourselves on the throne of Europe :p

Angryminer
19-01-2004, 21:04
My suggestion is optional. You could still choose difficulty-setting 'easy'/'piece of cake' so half of europe surrenders as soon you recruited five squads of peasants. But the people who like the competition can choose 'Endless' and try to become as big as possible and show off with screenshots :D .
I just don't want KoH to become boring as soon you conquered europe the fifth time.

Angryminer

orenda
19-01-2004, 21:44
if you rule 1/3 of europe you will have resources. and if you are good these resources will be enough so you could crush the formed alliance with no problems.

Angryminer
19-01-2004, 21:50
But the alliance has 2/3rd of europe. And they are attacking you from all sides.
And one third of your knights just declared that their realms are better off under the rulership of the enemy-kings (bribed bastards).

I think there are many possibilities how the AI can give you a hard time conquering whole europe.

Angryminer

Irish
19-01-2004, 21:52
My suggestion is optional. You could still choose difficulty-setting 'easy'/'piece of cake' so half of europe surrenders as soon you recruited five squads of peasants. But the people who like the competition can choose 'Endless' and try to become as big as possible and show off with screenshots :D .
I just don't want KoH to become boring as soon you conquered europe the fifth time.

Angryminer

I like the idea. This goes back to my question of a "Bad Boy" rating. As soon as the AI countires see you getting too big, they should unite and try to fend you off. Also, the larger your Kingdom becomes, the more likely rebellion should be. Rebellion % should be based on 2 factors:

1) Ethnic background of region vs. that of the throne.
2) Distance from the throne.

It should be neartly impossible on a hard setting to rule all of Europe, even if you start off as England or France or some other large region. It should be very hard for a small realm to even achieve the size of France or England.

I hope the difficulty in this game doesn't let us down. Nothing worse than a great game concept that is just too easy to beat. The value of a game is completely dependent on its AI and difficulty level, IMHO.

orenda
19-01-2004, 22:24
ok angryminer lets just say that: i rule 1/3 of europe, my nobles are loyal and the enemies are just forming alliance against me. so i attack the neighbour-coutry with my 1/2 army. then its allies cant react because they are too far to help. so i crush that country and conquer its territories and resources. there is 2 options: i attack the next country and conquer it or the alliance organize some kind of crusade. then comes another 2 options: i crush them and with that victory easyly could counter-attack the next coutries or they win and i go back to the stone age.
so everything depends on the situations but that with the alliance and so isnt impossible to become ruler of whole europe. all you need is many food and drinks and keep playing :)

Henrik
19-01-2004, 22:45

Angryminer

The way you decribe it sounds to me that you will never be able to reach more than a "predefined" amount of posession and if you think about, like making a highscore, then i could imagine that after the game has been out for some time this highscore list would have 100's or even 1000's on the first place.

And beside, i also think that the devs would have to script the event like:

1. when player reach 49,9% of the total territories available
2. then unite the remaining territories and fight plyer untill player is down to posessing 25,0% of the total territoies available
3. then break the alliances between the opposing forces
4. goto 1.

Jorghan
20-01-2004, 05:36
Hehe, It would be a nice optional difficulty level, I like it. Especially if we could run the game in window mode. Then I could have one game of KoH running forever in the background at work, at the slowest speed. :cool:

Elewyn
20-01-2004, 10:27
hehe, that's why the diplomacy is the best way.

To Timurlenk. When you do an attack on kingdom of forming alliance and the others are too far to help their ally, they would do the easiest way how to help: plunder and conquere your realms which are close to them :) when this happen in e.i. 4 regions, some rebellions can emerge etc.

But I hope that when your diplomatical stance is really strong you can be able to stand it up.
But, who was ever able to do it? You need to be really smart and then do some kind of blitzkrieg against about 2 of your main concurents in the same time and must defeat them fastly. And then the smaller ones can become dependant on you. You can just do some kind of HU!!! and they should be good guys again :)

The point is to defeat all stronger and bigger kingdoms and then the smaller ones will have no leader and for those, neighbouring with you will be more usefull to become your allies and by thet way become stronger against their other neighbours. When they will be about to be stronger than you want, you can do another HU!!! or anect some of their realms :)

timurlenk
20-01-2004, 11:10
Originally posted by Elewyn
hehe, that's why the diplomacy is the best way.

To Timurlenk. When you do an attack on kingdom of forming alliance and the others are too far to help their ally, they would do the easiest way how to help: plunder and conquere your realms which are close to them :) when this happen in e.i. 4 regions, some rebellions can emerge etc.

But I hope that when your diplomatical stance is really strong you can be able to stand it up.
But, who was ever able to do it? You need to be really smart and then do some kind of blitzkrieg against about 2 of your main concurents in the same time and must defeat them fastly. And then the smaller ones can become dependant on you. You can just do some kind of HU!!! and they should be good guys again :)

The point is to defeat all stronger and bigger kingdoms and then the smaller ones will have no leader and for those, neighbouring with you will be more usefull to become your allies and by thet way become stronger against their other neighbours. When they will be about to be stronger than you want, you can do another HU!!! or anect some of their realms :)

whats a "hu!!!" ?
apart from your "hu!!!ing" you show a logical way how things may happen. but its possible to win, even though its a big challenge!

the more i loose, the more its challenging :cheers:

Elewyn
20-01-2004, 11:13
hehe. HU!!! means threaten :D

(I couldn't find the word in my large brain :D)

Angryminer
20-01-2004, 14:58
A little comment:
I'm not talking about scripted events.
[ Why is everyone always taking me literally? ]
The concept is very close to Irish's "bad boy factor": The bigger you grow, the harder the enemy will try to defeat you. Then it's up to the skill of the player how big he will grow without loosing realms to rebellions or enemies.
Together with all AI features like AI-king-personalities that would result in a whole lot of fun, because every enemy-kingdom has an own history in this game.
And anyway - no one ever succeded in uniting europe (enough tried to do so). So why should it be 'realistic' that the player does?
Maybe it's hard to express, so not everybody understands the advantages, but it's a matter of fact that there are no disadvantages, because the player is still able to choose another difficulty-setting.

Oh, and please stay ontopic - I don't like the idea of loosing features to displaced spam.

Angryminer

Jorghan
20-01-2004, 15:35
You are correct angryminer. Also a larger empire is more prone to rebellion and corruption, and has a greater chance of falling completely.

Vytis
20-01-2004, 16:12
I don't think an 'automatic' war with everyone [after 50%land conquered] is a good idea. Sounds very frustrating.
I think on Hard setting it should be more difficult right from the start: higher costs, increased chance of rebelions, higher chance of neighbors attacking u [if u take hostile action towards any neighbor], etc.
It could be tied though to the number of provinces u own : the higher the number = the bigger increase in negative factors mentioned above (costs,rebels,neighbors hostility, etc.)

Angryminer
20-01-2004, 17:08
Originally posted by Vytis
I don't think an 'automatic' war with everyone [after 50%land conquered] is a good idea. *shouts* ROAR!!!
I'm still taken literally!

Angryminer
[ :D ]