PDA

View Full Version : Royal Children

Sir Roger
17-05-2005, 19:30
My rulers dont have any children,i think it is somekind of a bug.MAybe someone else had the same problem?I have an american version.

Gabo
17-05-2005, 20:41
Sometimes they take long to arrive. Sometimes they don't arrive at all. Sometimes your king suddenly dies. Correct me anyone but I think its random

My king usually deliver children when I place him with a task according to his talents. :silly: But I am not sure if this is just coincidence.

Elvain
17-05-2005, 21:09
yes it is random.

this game tries to be as realistic as possible. In this case it's good. Sometimes kings had no children, sometimes they had only daughters.

When it happens to you, try to remove nostalgy in all provinces and increase happiness as much as you can.

batulimaboy
17-05-2005, 21:11
I hava experienced that a king with cleric task will have children (especially boy) more frequent.
But not sure this is true or not...
When my king is spy, he will have children when he reach old age... Sometimes when he is venerable... So I will keep my king as cleric (upgraded to 5 star)... Just try it and tell me if this is true...

Xuca
17-05-2005, 21:14
Once my king was a marshall and he got two boys during ONE battle. And l think it has nothing to do with the professions

Elvain
17-05-2005, 21:20
I must say that it is totally random. Nothing influences it...

oh, only one thing: the king has to be married :lol:

but seriously. There was large number of guesses and "sure" ways how to get an heir. But as in medieval times, sometimes even a best doctors couldn't help....

Da Bomb
17-05-2005, 21:34
I dunno. It seems batulimaboy's tale is somewhat of a coincidence. Normally I just have the average amount of children and sometimes none, but one time my king died and my 5 star cleric took over. About 10 seconds after I got him married he had a girl. Then they kept coming.

Elvain
17-05-2005, 21:37
yes, it happened to me too several times. But when I tried this about 10 times and from it, some had many children while some had no children at all....

but as long as it works, keep this way, of course :go:

All My Heroes
18-05-2005, 03:38
question on the having babies.

will your king have a better chance at making babies if you dont assign him anything?
coz in my 3 games of playing i found that when i assign my king a job he doesnt have any babies but when i dont give him a job he has babies. might be just a coincidence or i need to play more but i guess it makes sense.

i mean if your king is assigned a job then he will be busy...but if hes just chillin' in the royal court drinking ale or whatever... :go: :go: :go:

Da Bomb
18-05-2005, 04:20
lol you'd think that'd work but if he's out pillaging he could meet a local whom he likes... same thing...

Picotrain
18-05-2005, 04:53
Sometimes it is actually impossible for your king to have a child. If this is the case, you will receive a notification around the king's old age saying that doctor's have declared him unable to have children. If the king is capabale of having children, then it is totally random.

Elvain
18-05-2005, 07:58
As I said many times before I must say that temporarily you can find many "sure" ways how to get children better.

But believe me. When you get experienced with the game, you will see that nothing works for 100%. In one game with 3 kings one after another one way may work, but from perspective of much more games with over 100 kings ruling I see no way how to make my king have children.

IT IS RANDOM!

contactkoh
18-05-2005, 19:47
my king died with 2 princes.
WHen the king died, the prince who did not suceed to throne also died.
Could this be that he was killed by his own brother? or is this a bug?

I tried to send him off as a marshall out of the castle. Then, he didnt die but got demoted to marshall.

hmm... is this the sophistication of this game or a bug? i hope the former :)

Baghera
18-05-2005, 20:45
What I think is happening when your King dies:
Prince becomes new King
Prince's adult brothers (if any) are no longer heirs so the game assigns them jobs as whatever they are currently doing. If they are currently idle then... oops gone/dead.
Prince's baby brothers ... oops gone/dead
Prince's adult unmarried sisters... oops gone/dead
Prince's baby sisters... oops gone/dead

Maybe one of the more experienced players can confirm that I have my facts straight since I have only had the game for a couple days :biggrin:

If you don't like "gone/dead" think of it as perhaps going into seclusion at a monastary and living out the rest of their years in obscurity.

The whole thing does seem like a rather strange system to me too but it takes a lot of complications out of succession. For example:

Would England's King Richard be followed by his brother John or his son (actually I think Richard may have been childless... so this is a bad example but stay with me)?
[in game his son, in history John tried to seize throne at every opportunity]

What if Richard's son was a baby when he died?
[In game dynasty ends and all the knights scramble for the throne, in history brother John would claim throne as a regent until the baby grew up or was assassinated]

What if Richard's son takes crown but dies childless while John is still around?
[In game dynasty ends and all the knights scramble for the throne, in history uncle John would claim throne]

It all gets rather complicated very quickly... and that is assuming that we are following premogeniture laws which were by no means universal in any of the time periods that this game covers.

So the designers put together this fairly simple system that gives the flavour of dynastic succession very nicely and does a good job of game balance (sorry to everyone that wanted to pack the court with all those free royal relatives).

Now if they had only let us decide how long our kings would live and age all the other knights at the same rate... hmm immortal knights... "There can be only one"? :silly:

Angryminer
18-05-2005, 21:01
Yes Baghera, everythings right :go: .
Nice article. :wink:

Angryminer

Da Bomb
18-05-2005, 22:08
To put it simply the assigned adult male becomes king and if not him the highest ranking knight in your court. When you get a new king, everyone besides him leaves your royal family.