PDA

View Full Version : About battle.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bubino
21-01-2004, 12:13
battles are in real time?

and during a battle, can i give precise orders to my soldier's regiments?

for example: there is an order like "attack" or "shot to" or "move to a particular zone of the battlefield"?

If i want that my light cavalry attack a specific objective (like crossbowmen, for example), while my archers shot to a specific enemy regiments (for example swordsmen), can i do it?

or tacticts and actions are only predefined before every battle?

thanks for answers! :bday:

Jorghan
21-01-2004, 12:19
Originally posted by Bubino
battles are in real time?

Yes.

and during a battle, can i give precise orders to my soldier's regiments?

for example: there is an order like "attack" or "shot to" or "move to a particular zone of the battlefield"?

If i want that my light cavalry attack a specific objective (like crossbowmen, for example), while my archers shot to a specific enemy regiments (for example swordsmen), can i do it?

or tacticts and actions are only predefined before every battle?

Yes, you control your regiments yourself. I don't know if you can set up such specific behavious for them, as to make your light cav automaticly attack archers. But you can also have your knights do the fighting for you, and I'm not really sure how this works, if you can give them directions or if they do it just by themselves.

Bubino
21-01-2004, 14:36
Thanks. ;)

But i don't understand an important (for me, of course!) thing:

every single regiment has a "control panel"?
something like warcraft (i know that are two completely different styles of strategic games, but my example is only for battlefield actions!!):
attack (hand to hand), shot, move to, patrol, hold position, and any particular action too (not spells or fantasy power, but for example run, or attack with special weapons...)

this is very important, because in this case battles are very interesting, and funny too!

thanks for answers!

:D

Jorghan
21-01-2004, 14:43
I am not sure about the exact interface. But I think that the troops will be able to do all those things, not just sure how you order them to do. I guess it's in a quite practical way, there shouldn't be any micro-management in this game.

Bubino
21-01-2004, 15:26
ok.

but what do you mean with "micromanagement" in battles?

in my opinion it's micromanagement in battle if i can lead a single character (like a wizard or a necromancer, just to remain in warcraft world), and his special abilities (in this case, spells and any type of magic attack).

But if i can only lead regiments of soldiers (i've seen some screenshots, and in my idea there are 15 -> 30 soldiers for every regiment), this isn't micromanagement!

This my idea for battlefield: something like Warhammer (do you know it? it's the most popular strategic wargame with miniatures!), but in real time and without super heroes and monsters (of course, because we are in a medieval game, not fantasy game!): only regiments and warmachines (like catapults ecc...) that i can directly lead with 5 - 6 basically types of order, against other regiments or outposts and castle too!

I Repeat, this is my idea. And my hope for Knights of Honor, too! :D

Jorghan
21-01-2004, 16:24
I haven't actually played Warhammer Fantasy Battle any, but I get the idea. But micromanagement could also be "archers, use this kind of arrow and try to hit the horses of the cavalry". Without micromanagement you won't be able to give specific orders like that.

But yes, you do control those units yourself, and chose which enemy units they should attack.

Bubino
21-01-2004, 17:13
all right. :cheers:

if i can use basic orders and i can organize tactics and objectives for my regiments, i'm happy enough!

thanks!

another question about battle: battlefields are random or only in specific point of the map i can have a battle (for example near a castle or near a outpost) ?

I'm not sure if i can engage my enemies also in open field, or near a street, or near a farm; or battle has always predefined fields.

for a realistic example: if i see an enemy knight that moves near my territory, can i always move close to him and attack his troops?

thanks for answer! :D

Angryminer
21-01-2004, 17:38
Anywhere, anytime.

The game just thinks "There's a farm near? Okay, let's create some farms + fields on the random-map" or "There's a great forrest in south-east? Let's plant some trees in that direction".

Angryminer

Bubino
21-01-2004, 20:25
Very well! :D

another questions about battles and battlefields:

different types of terrain (for example hills, or rocks, of trees) can influence the battle? i mean, archers or crossbowmen cannot shot trough trees or other obstacles (like a farm), or cavalry cannot move in particular types of terrain?

and, if i'm fighting near a farm, or a inn, ecc...., can i destroy these buildings (for example with trebuches or fire arrows...)
or i can only attack and shot to enemies?

thanks for answers! :viking:

Bubino
21-01-2004, 21:12
another question!!!

in this screenshot:
http://www.knights-of-honor.net//gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0054.jpg

what are the six icons at the left and at the right of the battleflield?

there is any relationship between corn, a horse, a rope, a vase, and the battle?????

thanks for answers!!! :bday:

Jarlabanke
21-01-2004, 21:21
If ya like warhammer there's actually an old game called Dark Omen, which in a way is rather much like M:TW.

Bubino
21-01-2004, 21:43
thank you Jarlabanke, but i have Warhammer 2: Dark Omen, and also Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat! two beautiful games, but Windows XP doesn't support these games!!

sigh, sigh... :(

Angryminer
21-01-2004, 21:43
The icons on the left/right are the three skills of the knights. Left is the one knight, the right his opponent.

Angryminer

Jarlabanke
21-01-2004, 21:45
How is that horned rat game? I never tried it...

Lord Sandman
22-01-2004, 10:07
Originally posted by Jarlabanke
How is that horned rat game? I never tried it...

Warhammer: Shadow over Horned Rat is the previous game of series... Warhammer: Dark Omen is next... IMO these games are first which we can tactically control our troops like in M: Total War... Both of games are still great!!! (Beatifull 3D graphics in battles, though they are very old!!!)

But, right, Win XP has problem with these games....

Bubino
23-01-2004, 13:55
very well. :)

another question about battle and regiments:

if i have for example a regiment composed by 25 footmen, and this regiment fight against a enemy regiment;
during the fight casualties are random (for example, after 1 minute regiment looses some footmen) or casualties are directly related with blows i see in the battle?

ehm, do you understand my question?

Angryminer
23-01-2004, 14:07
The dev's never lost a word about that, but it's common that the death of a soldier depends on the hit he took (-> realistic style).

I think a dev should make that clear.

Angryminer

Jorghan
23-01-2004, 14:44
From what I have understood from a previous post, which I am too lazy to do a search for, fighting works something like this: Each individual soldier in a unit fights, and hits an individual soldier in an enemy unit, which then dies. (There are no level of wounds).

The example was something like this: To soldiers fight, and after a while one of them falls down, dead.

So it will work something close to MTW i suppose.

Bubino
23-01-2004, 17:29
mmhh, all right, thanks. :)

just another question, i hope tha last, eh, eh!

about regiments battles, as usual: in a battle in open field (not a siege) the two opponents are always "controlled" by a knight?

i mean, my "standard" army in a open field battle is, for example:
knight, knight's guard, and a variable number of regiments, right?

Angryminer
23-01-2004, 17:56
The knight's guards always stick with the knight, so you may tread them as one unit.
But basically you're right.

Angryminer