PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to stop archers from fireing?

Mortimer
12-06-2005, 09:09
archers seem to fire at anyone in range when they are not moving, and seem to fire at the closest enemy unless directed not too. this is a nice feature most of the time but when my melee units charge the enemy it is not good trying to move my archers to a new target or move them so they are too busy to fire on my own troops. but I can't seem to find a way to stop them, would even be nice to tell them to attack with melee especally those ottomen archer/swordmen

Thanks in advance for any help

Xuca
12-06-2005, 10:18
You can order them to stop fireing and go melee with the hold fire button right of their portrait and above the stand ground button. Hope that helps :go:

Angryminer
12-06-2005, 12:06
The "Hold fire" button doesn't automatically make them go melee.
It works the following:
- The archers shoot at some pittyful enemy.
- You press the "Hold fire" button.
- They stop shooting and break all commands you gave them (they'll also stop moving if you told them to move before pressing the hold fire-button).
- Now the default attack-type is melee (note: the archers will be slaughtered like peasants in melee).
- When you use the "Shoot arrows"-button from the archer's command-list the "Hold fire"-command is broken and you'll have to give the "Hold fire"-order again if you want so.

Be sure to use the archers wise. They cause friendly fire :wink: .

Angryminer

jussist
12-06-2005, 14:48
Being an archer-fan, the friendly fire is the cause I try to improve my marshalls archery-skills asap.

The_Ar
15-06-2005, 07:34
Simple solution really. Don't use melee units. My armies consist of a marshall, three - nine crossbowmen (preferably heavy, but regular are more than adequate), zero to six archer units (heavy or long bowmen preferred), and four ballistas if able to have siege weaponry. Once I get my arrow skill increased three times and my siege weaponry increased three times, then that force is unstoppable in combat unless going against a walled town that has towers and that boiling hot **** above their gates.

Reader81
15-06-2005, 12:31
Yeah, I try that Full Six Long Bowmen with max skill of Archery Master and Ballistics with fire with three spearmen + four ballistas seem unstopped, but since A.I not smart, is thier only downside if enemy are full off Feudal Knights did anyone try that? Only problem for Feudal Knights that only few town can build those and cost of lot money and it's only 10 each while Longbowmen has 20 or crossbow 20 men each and only useful skill are for Marshals only not Feudal Knights, but there is skill Cavalry Master give them experienced faster but useless. Dread, Jousting, and Leadership is only work and fight the enemy are Marshals themself (Knight Leader) not Feudal Knights! To help those Feudal Knights for skill to overcome those deadly longbowmen are Manoeuvre and Endurance to help them get there little faster before lost more knights. Strategist are nice but it's not for in battle, it's for map only help to get there faster if problem like rebels.