PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty

chavenduka
12-06-2005, 12:38
I want to like KoH...seems like it has the potential to be a more playable version of EU/CK, but...

Where is the difficulty? In 2 days I've played 4 times on "hard" with 1-province starting factions and easily conquered as fast as I wanted to. Are other players experiencing this? Note that I have the computer resolve the battles as I can play R:TW for tactical simulations whereas this game is all about grand strategy.

Seems to me that the biggest problem (that should be easy for the devs to fix in the AI) is that the computer does not ever have enough troops in its castles. All you need to do is send 2 fully loaded marshals to assault a castle and it's yours in moments. My last campaign was as Georgia and when I easily took Constantinople with 2 stacks of average troops despite it having every defensive structure in the book I had to give up and write this post.

Again, are other players discovering the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Angryminer
12-06-2005, 12:54
Welcome to the forums, chavenduka! :halloha:
Yes, many players think the game is too easy once you got the general idea how to win. That's why there are mods around.

Angryminer

chavenduka
12-06-2005, 13:07
Thanks, Angry. Are there mods that address this basic issue? If so, will you recommend one?

Angryminer
12-06-2005, 13:11
Each mod raises the difficulty. Here (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=4304) is an overview over the available mods.
All mods have an own "List of change". Read them and see if you might feel comfortable with one of them.

Angryminer

chavenduka
12-06-2005, 13:20
Ah, that's helpful. Thanks again. I might try your GoG. MOD HARD looks interesting.

I am reading through the Mods threads now. Off-hand do you know of a way to make the AI increase its garrison sizes, or to make the castle defenses stronger?

Angryminer
12-06-2005, 13:25
1. The AI doesn't build advanced troops because it lacks the money or structures.
2. Most of the mods help with both.
3. With enough money and the right structures the AI builds a noticeable amount of advanced troops, making it able to at least sometimes make up for a challange.

Don't expect that the mods make wonders. A good player will still beat the game with the right strategy easily. However, they enhance and modify the gameplay. Soon I'll release the next version of GoG (propably today) with some changes regarding the diplomacy, economy and military.

Angryminer

chavenduka
12-06-2005, 13:40
I just enjoyed reading through the thread on GoG and after a chuckle must say I support your stance. You clearly explain why you made the mods you did and gave them the option of changing what they don't like. What more could someone expect?

I'll give GoG a try as I think it will be tougher than vanilla. If you're going to put out a new version later today I'll wait for that.

Anyway, to me the biggest problem is that conquering each province should be dramatic/challenging/rewarding. Taking Constantinople because the AI didn't bother to defend it just doesn't do anything for me. Please let me know if you figure out a way to address that.

Thanks again.