PDA

View Full Version : I captured my ally's spy! I get free DoW?

maladominus
16-06-2005, 23:55
I captured my ally spying on me!! We have an Alliance currently. Now that the untrustworthy dog is caught, does that mean I can declare war (via the spy menu that says Declare War) free without penalty???

maladominus
17-06-2005, 01:24
Oh, and one more newbie question I have.... might as well post it here rather than start a new thread.

Defections of my Knights.... are they ALWAYS caused by an enemy spy, or are they just random events? The reason is because 2 of my LONGTIME LOYAL court advisors just mysteriously defected. However, I do not have any spies in my court.... because everyone in my court is either a Royal Family or a royal advisor that has served me loyally for 2 generations!! Hence, there is ZERO POSSIBILITY that I had a spy in my court. Sooooo.... the defections can be just random events, right?

Gustavus Adolphus
17-06-2005, 02:23
@ your first post. Yes if you click on the declare war button in the spys menu it dosen't Do anything exept declare war.
@ second post. Actually, your people in court can be bribed by the enemy to spy on you. This is obviously what happend to you.

maladominus
17-06-2005, 06:34
@ your first post. Yes if you click on the declare war button in the spys menu it dosen't Do anything exept declare war.
@ second post. Actually, your people in court can be bribed by the enemy to spy on you. This is obviously what happend to you.

Thanks for the answer. Wow, I had no idea that enemy nations could bribe my own court advisors to turn spy against me! I thought that the only way that spies could infiltrate me was if I hired a NEW unproven knight.

Lord Boreal
17-06-2005, 11:12
Im sure I've had a Merchant for 2 generations and he defected when the third King died... maybe Im just getting confused with something else.

crpcarrot
17-06-2005, 11:51
got some noob questions as well didn't want to start a new thread though

playing my first campaign as fatimids IIRC lol not figting anybody just building my kindom just got the through a tough patch as my first caliph dies b4 his son matures and a knight who was being held prisnor by the the byzantians took over the kindom lol anyway i didn't want that so i abandoned him and a another knight took over but had a massive drop in kindom power and all provinces were rebelling subdued that and now back to quite normal.

anyway to my question when a knight is given a clerics job is he only ever useful when a town of a another religion is captured cos i dont know what to do with them asking them to govern a town doesn't seem to help any.

secondly connected to the earlier posts it says the ai bribed the players knights. now can i do that too ie can i bribe the ai knights and how.

3. when in the diplomatic screen is there anyway to combine offers or make counter offers like for example is someone asks for trade agreement cant i say ok bgive me money and u get agreement instead of just saying yes or know. if its not possible seems to be a serious oversight cos all the other aspects have been done so nicely. even RTW lets u make a counter offer and that game is more concentrated on fighting rather than negotiating.

well great game and enjoying it immensely. good change from MTW (got sick of RTW :) ) now i can become emporor without having to subdude the entire world.

Angryminer
17-06-2005, 15:17
1. Clerics that govern a town generate books that can be used to adopt foreign the foreign population of newly conquered provinces and to upgrade existing knights (landlords, builders, clerics, merchants and spies, but not marshalls).
2. No, unfortunately the bribing-feature is not available to the player.
3. No, for some strange reason it isn't possible to make counter-offers. Only the AI can do that. :confused:

Angryminer

Lord Boreal
17-06-2005, 15:24
It is always good to have a cleric governing a province, due to the extra book income they generate, also, when playing as a catholic kingdom, they can become the Pope if you are friendly enough, which gives you the power to call crusades and excommunicate heretical kingdoms.

maladominus
18-06-2005, 05:55
What exactly is so bad about being ex-communicated?

As far as I know, the only thing bad is that the excommunicated nation no longer receives the Catholic income bonus (which is not that big). Also, many times, they can be asked to join catholicism again. So the ex-cummunication isn't forever. :)

Crusades: I have never seen a crusader unit that actually did anything! Usually they just waste time riding out across Europe. And by the time they reach the Muslim lands, they are called back... and a new crusade is called.

Gabo
18-06-2005, 15:37
I ince captured a spy from me ally. Our relations were 'United'- So I declared war on him and then asked for vassalage. Since the ally was of a minor size, he agreed. Then I sent my 5 star spy till I could annex his kingdom with the spy merchant.

Talk about revenge

Illuminatus!
18-06-2005, 18:59
What exactly is so bad about being ex-communicated?

It means you and your kingdom are all going to hell, sinner! :dwink:

j/k

Ahem. Yeah, you do lose the income bonus, your relations with all non-excommunicated Catholic kingdoms drops a bit, non-excommunicated kingdoms can attack you with no penalty (normally, if you're a catholic kingdom and you attack lots of other catholic kingdoms, you're more likely to be excommunicated), and a crusade can be called against you. In return, all you get are some lousy books. :go: