PDA

View Full Version : Driven to study

Lord Richard I
19-06-2005, 01:52
As an american, these castle based games Have me picking some very underdog countries. Norway seems to tend to draw my interest the most. Funny thing is I knew nothing of this country or it's real history until I started playing these games. I find myself actually going out and doing research on thier history. CURSE YOU KOH! for driving me to go out and learn something.

dminoz
19-06-2005, 02:39
I'm the same, but in my case it was Swedish history that caught my attention after I played Sweden in some game years ago. It might have been EU2. I started reading about Karl XII and the Great Northern War, then read Voltaire's biography of Karl. Since then, the first nation I play in any new game is always Sweden. I've just started a new game as Sweden in KoH, with the intention of re-establishing the Swedish Empire as it was when Karl took the throne in 1697. Top sport. :go:

Lord Richard I
19-06-2005, 02:44
Norway was never a real superpower. But in my hands they are. KOH they control all of Europe and currently ae marching toward africa. In superpowers They have taken over most of nato and Russia. Currently marching through the Middle East and then we shall crush the USA. (They have 15 Gobal Nukes to back up thier power.)

maladominus
19-06-2005, 05:27
As an american, these castle based games Have me picking some very underdog countries. Norway seems to tend to draw my interest the most. Funny thing is I knew nothing of this country or it's real history until I started playing these games. I find myself actually going out and doing research on thier history. CURSE YOU KOH! for driving me to go out and learn something.

The appreciation of History is always a great thing. :go:

maladominus
19-06-2005, 05:31
Norway was never a real superpower.

True, but Sweden was.... for a brief period of time. Sweden was considered a European superpower briefly... I think it was in the reign of Gustav Adolphus(?) and also the Karls (several kings named Karl)

chavenduka
19-06-2005, 13:22
I don't think the term "superpower" applied at that time. Yes, Sweden was a significant power during the 30 Years War under Gustavus Adolphus, the end of which saw the Great Power system develop in European politics. But by then Sweden was not really a Great Power because GA had been killed, certainly not on the level of France or Austria, even though they had slight resurgence afterwards.