PDA

View Full Version : Province resources

KOkopelli
27-06-2005, 16:14
When you start a new game, are the province resources, e.g. pasture, fertile soil, etc. randomly generated? Or, are they specific to the county with every new game?

Reason I ask, is that I am currently getting horses from France. However, the Pope's declared them as heretics and they're begining to require that I break off ties with countries that I currently have good relations with. While I eventually plan to invade them and take horses for myself, I do not want to risk losing that commodity prior to my "expansion" because I didn't attack some pidly country they were pissed off at.

Angryminer
27-06-2005, 16:36
Yes, the province features are distributed randomly at each start of the game.

Angryminer

KOkopelli
27-06-2005, 16:46
So I wonder why I always get shafted with the bloody fisheries? Granted, I could just as easily take the neighbor's territory for their pastures, but like I am facing now, it can be difficult... especially when they hand your tail to your four armies like Ireland did to me lastnight. :LOL:

Da Bomb
27-06-2005, 18:56
So I wonder why I always get shafted with the bloody fisheries? Granted, I could just as easily take the neighbor's territory for their pastures, but like I am facing now, it can be difficult... especially when they hand your tail to your four armies like Ireland did to me lastnight. :LOL:

If you have a coastal village in a province you get fish... No questions asked. That doesn't change over the map though. Sometimes you get lucky and other times you don't. I started as Golden Horde once with like 8 provinces and had all 8 features. Pure luck! :biggrin:

KOkopelli
27-06-2005, 21:14
If you have a coastal village in a province you get fish... No questions asked. That doesn't change over the map though. Sometimes you get lucky and other times you don't. I started as Golden Horde once with like 8 provinces and had all 8 features. Pure luck! :biggrin:

That would explain it - I usually start off with either Britian or Scotland. I'll have try Spain or on the inland kingdoms next round.

Da Bomb
28-06-2005, 18:46
Yea it can be much harder inland starting out because no immediate docks/admiralties eventually and they are pretty much deciding Kingdom Advantages factor.

McGillicuddy
28-06-2005, 21:08
I've become quite fond of farm animals (sheep in particular) when playing this game. Yikes!

maladominus
04-07-2005, 03:00
When you start a new game, are the province resources, e.g. pasture, fertile soil, etc. randomly generated? Or, are they specific to the county with every new game?

YES they are randomly generated. NO, a couple resources are not random.

#1) Fish resource always appears on coastal provinces. This is consistent with each game.

#2) Silver tends to appear right near Mountain Ranges. If you dont see any mountains around, then you probably will not see any silver in that region.

#3) Cathedrals can never be built in coastal cities. Cathedrals require the 3-resource slots of Marble/Minerals/Fertile Soil. Because those 3 resources take up the 3 slots, there is no room for Fish. Therefore, the 3 resources needed for Cathedrals (or Grand Mosque) will never be on a coastal province (aka a "fish province").

#4) Coast Guard requires Fish as one of the resources. So obviously only coastal province can ever create a Coast Guard.

#5) Pastures (need for horsies) are random. I have seen game randomly generated where most pasture/horses were in Western Europe, but zero pastures/horses were in the Russian Steppes. :rolleyes: Ideally, it should be spread out evenly.... so that there are horses in Spain, horses in Russia, horses in the Balkans, horses in France, horses in Anatolian-Turk plateau etc, etc. But this game does not care about ideals, it just generates these things randomly.