PDA

View Full Version : Amazed! Pope calls Crusade on Kiev =)

maladominus
07-07-2005, 03:10
I thought I had played this game too much already for many dozens of hours.

Yesterday, I was simply amazed as one more thing I learned about the game..... the Pope called for a Crusade against the Heretics..... the Orthodox heretics of Kievan Rus! It was the first time I saw a crusade against a non-Muslim state.

IMHO I thought that was neato!! :hello:

Now I will want to play more Orthodox nations and then provoke those Catholic nations to crusade against me. muahahaha

Elvain
07-07-2005, 08:46
hehe, haven't you seen yet a crusade against any pagan nation?

in my games they are even more often than against muslims...
but yes, if non catholic nation is at war with "enough" of catholics, it can provoke a crusade, no matter what religion does it confess :dwink:

Byzantian
07-07-2005, 08:49
I'm currently playing Holy Rome mod and trying to unite Rome as Byzantia (reunited Byzantia as Nicaea). The hard part is that when I take over Rome the catholics will be angered. So I devised a cunning plan! or so I thought. Plan was as follows: to conquer a province in the far north-east of the map give to Papacy and then take Rome. Here's were it fell apart: when I took over Rome I got a pop up saying that I destoryed the Papal Institution and the catholics will forever hate me fo it and then after a while the Pope (Papacy is still in excistence in a pagan province :) ) calls a crusade against me :( ...

BTW thanx Elvain a great mod, I have average happiness in province 40%!

Elvain
07-07-2005, 08:59
really, that happened? that's really great :hello: Roman empire being a target of a crusade. Could a fan of alternative history wish more? :lol:

Btw, in a version that is in development(HolyRome1.05), you will have to chose between happiness(high kingdom power/reputation) and income(low kingdom power/reputation) You had hospitals in every province, did you?

When I was uniting Rome, I took Rome as the very last province of required(giving papacy no way to survive :) but yes, I knew which provinces I needed :biggrin:

Angryminer
07-07-2005, 16:35
Is it possible to evade the "Everyone hates you"-event by making a puppet king assault rome, annex it and then make him hand over the crown?

Angryminer

Illuminatus!
07-07-2005, 19:35
Possible, I suppose, but very unlikely - the puppet king will 1) need an army strong enough to take Rome 2) he'll need to actually assault Rome and not just plunder and 3) take Rome - by the time this is all over, your puppet king is less likely (any idea how much it decreases per turn or other time unit?) to hand over the crown, too, no?

Elvain
07-07-2005, 19:48
It's easy:
1) send your spy to some country that is friendly to you but hates papacy and have no trade agreement with you.
2) offer them a trade agreement
3) give them some money so they can hire a merchant (well, they will hire your spy from your money, it's worth it)
4) ask them to attack papacy when your spy is hired
5) improve your relations with them
6) declare war on papacy
7) when there is high probability that your spy will be the next king, send your marshall to help them in conquering Rome(give him some siege equipment) - conquer Rome for them
8) ask your puppet king to hand over the crown :dwink:

maladominus
08-07-2005, 05:34
hehe, haven't you seen yet a crusade against any pagan nation?

in my games they are even more often than against muslims...
but yes, if non catholic nation is at war with "enough" of catholics, it can provoke a crusade, no matter what religion does it confess :dwink:

Nope! I have not yet noticed any crusades called against the Pagans. Altho from the map, most of the Pagans are not in regions where they typically fight West European Catholic nations, right? Most of the Pagans (I think Pechenegs and Mongol Horde) are usually fighting on the borders of Orthodox and Muslim East Europe

Elvain
08-07-2005, 08:37
maybe this is caused by the fact that I added pagan Prussians to HolyRome mod and made them be automaticaly at war with TO(in the high period)
Pagans got the highest crusade coeficient in HolyRome so when even Golden Horde is at war with over 3 orthodox nations they are considered by the pope as enemy of christians so a crusade is called against them. But most of crusader armies does not reach GH. Prussia or Lithuania is another case. There are many crusader states in Baltic lands
but this is only HolyRome mod

Byzantian
08-07-2005, 08:52
Btw, in a version that is in development(HolyRome1.05), you will have to chose between happiness(high kingdom power/reputation) and income(low kingdom power/reputation) You had hospitals in every province, did you?

When I was uniting Rome, I took Rome as the very last province of required(giving papacy no way to survive :) but yes, I knew which provinces I needed :biggrin:

Yep hospitals are the best thing since sliced bread, workers+happiness, what more can you ask ..

I know too what provinces are need, the quest file isn't hard to decipher :wink:
After I unite Rome I'm planning to add a quest for Great Rome which would be all the provinces that Rome ever had (western europe, meditarrenean, black sea, england) that way there's some goal in the game :bday: