PDA

View Full Version : A multiplayer question

Snorre
27-01-2004, 20:07
hello i am new here :)

Question: will KoH use gamespy as a plaze to host servers on
or will they use a ingame multiplayer thing ?

:cheers:

silver
27-01-2004, 20:14
Let us all pray that KoH do NOT use the rubbish that is Gamespy Arcade.
In the old days Gamespy was great - now it is the cause of huge lag and it installs tons of spyware on your system.

However, I know most companies can't set up their own gaming service - so we will have to wait and see.

Knoweing how powerful Gamespy is - I bet we will be using that - just hope there is an IP connect option to avoid this.

Snorre
27-01-2004, 20:28
thank you very much , i gona take over your kingdom someday
with my swedish viking army ;)

King Yngvar
27-01-2004, 23:04
Let us all pray that KoH do NOT use the rubbish that is Gamespy Arcade.

I can agree on that. I can't play on Gamespy, it just doesn't work for me. Battlefield and Rise of Nations were games I got tired of after a few weeks just because of this. Let us hope they have an in-game server like Empire Earth or Medieval.

Frujin
27-01-2004, 23:45
We do have in-game GameSpy ... so no Arcade ...

And there is IP option ...

King Yngvar
28-01-2004, 00:11
In game GameSpy or not, GameSpy is still GameSpy. Does not work for me due to my geographical location. And it would have lagged anyway.

Is it not possible to have an addittional server?

Dankish
28-01-2004, 00:59
Particulary Rise of Nations was a game, that I've played well enough exactly at the GameSpy's servers without any problems. Anyway - there will be an IP option, so why are you bothered ?

Jorghan
28-01-2004, 01:34
Hey Frujin, make sure the game works with the IP-option over NAT. (Without any special tampering.) I don't know what's wrong with some developers out the (Read C&C: Generals), but some seem to make the strangest netcode possible.

Patrick
28-01-2004, 11:38
Hmm, GAMESPY is a great feature to meet and found players and to arrange tourneyes and more.

@Frujin : What does IN GAME GAMESPY means ?

Frank Fay
28-01-2004, 11:56
Is it not possible to have an addittional server?

You can still input a direct IP. But honestly there is NOTHING better than Gamespy for matchmaking.

Frank Fay
28-01-2004, 12:00
@Frujin : What does IN GAME GAMESPY means ?

That you do not need to run the Arcade Client. You start KoH, go into the multiplayer menu, choose your game and start. No need to shut down KoH, you can browse the games IN KoH menus.

Angryminer
28-01-2004, 12:00
Except a self-made lobby ;) .

Anyway, since there is no 'GameSpy Arcade' wo won't need that damn client and thus less adware/spyware/ads.

Angryminer

Feature Request:
Adjustable port-range!!!!
I'm really gonna give you hell if I am forced to use a static port!

Frank Fay
28-01-2004, 12:02
Except a self-made lobby

Sure, but why should we do it when there is Gamespy? They have the servers, proven technology and the community is HUGE.

King Yngvar
28-01-2004, 17:21
Anyway - there will be an IP option, so why are you bothered ?

Because everyone up here in Norway play shooting games, and to play with IP, you must arrange it. You can't just enter into a random game on internet, leaving less gameplay and more organizing :(

Frank Fay
28-01-2004, 18:04
I can't play on Gamespy, it just doesn't work for me.

Why does it not work for you?

W-O-D
28-01-2004, 18:22
Originally posted by Frank Fay
..But honestly there is NOTHING better than Gamespy for matchmaking.

That i'snt correct,because you don't know who's on the other side.:rolleyes:

When you still meet your Friends you will be sure that only they can join your createt Game.
But there is a Chance to make it with an separate Launchtool who you can type in the IP (your own or from Server you will joined),with an precheck of Connection starts the Game and have Fun.In kombination with Teamspeak this is the best you can have.:cheers:

Frank Fay
28-01-2004, 19:36
You dont need to use Gamespy for KoH if you want play via direct IP and only with your buddies. Also you can protect your game with a password.

King Yngvar
29-01-2004, 16:17
Why does it not work for you?

Take a look at a map of Europe and try to find Svalbard.

Can't find it no? Look up, yes way up, it might not even be on the map. There you go, a small group of islands stationed 78-80 degrees north, you'll find it if you look hard enough :)

And the internet connection? Some local company named Svalbard TV (Television), if I am lucky I can play a game of Empire Earth online without any problems, but that's it, it can't handle the Gamespy servers...
Well, I guess I will be playing single player at first, ADSL will arrive next autumn, hopefully this game will be so good that I have not grown tired of it by then.

Frank Fay
29-01-2004, 17:10
78-80 degrees north

*brrr* damn cold there, I guess?

Now I understand what you mean. It is a matter of infrastructure...

You know that KoH supports modem too?

Jorghan
29-01-2004, 18:15
The big problem with multiplayer games isn't badwidth really, it's latency. But since KoH is strategic game, and since there won't be loads of micromanagement, I believe you will be better off in KoH if you have lag, than you'd be in most standard RTSes.