PDA

View Full Version : knight names

Despot Dobrotitza
09-07-2005, 02:31
I was playing as Bulgaria and was invaded by the bByzantines right off the bat. I could not defend well and had to retreat into Epir as my only province by the time I made peace. Later on I regained all Bulgarian lands but all my knights and royal family had Greek names. Does your capital influence that? Is there any way to start getting nobles with Bulgarian names? This is a little annoying :bash:

maladominus
09-07-2005, 11:33
Correct. Even tho the game does not tell you this, your kingdom has an Invisible Capital Province. That capital is the province where your "first marshall" starts out at. And the game stupidly assumes that the culture of your capital province is equal to the national culture of your entire nation.

This means that if you lose your "capital", then the game will relocate you and choose a new capital, which is then where your new culture will be based. For example, if France lost all French possessions and is pushed into Spain, then ALL following French knights will be get Spanish names and titles.

This annoys me also. In fact, in The High Period, I like to play the Seljuk Turks (Muslims).... but the game stupidly puts their capital province in Orthodox Christian Armenia. What does this mean? It means that the Seljuk Turks have marshalls with Byzantine/Armenian sounding names, and even worse... they have the title of "Doux" (which is Greek for Duke).

Theory: try to "lose" your Greek province of Epirus... while regaining your native Bulgarian provinces (e.g. Moesia, Dobruja, Bdin). Then you can see if the game picks you a new Bulgarian capital culture. It's worth a try.... maybe your knights will pick up Bulgarian names and titles again.

Despot Dobrotitza
10-07-2005, 03:13
The problem is, how do you know whether the new capital is Bulgarian? I might end up with Serbian or Croatian or Greek or Hungarian names...

maladominus
10-07-2005, 06:40
The problem is, how do you know whether the new capital is Bulgarian? I might end up with Serbian or Croatian or Greek or Hungarian names...

Hmm. Well, if ALL of your provinces are Bulgarian, then the game will have to choose a Bulgarian-only capital among them.

If you have other foerign lands (e.g. you conquered Hungarian and Croat lands), then it may be random.... it could be Bulgarian, or it could be Magyar, Croat, etc.

I know I dont like this system either. I wish there were "real" capitals, like in EU2

But KoH only uses "fake" capitals, and they change all the time.

Elvain
12-07-2005, 08:18
I didn't yet found out how is it done. Even if I kept my capital in Bohemia and conquered most of Germany, most of knights had german names.

But I don't find it a bad thing. Why should it be influenced by name of country? when you rule mostly Germans or Byzantines, it's logical that afterall your knights will be of German or Byzantine origin. So by this logic I'm fine with it.
I would only like to have possibility to colonize provinces (make it some kind of next step after adoption): when a cleric adopts province, a landlord(he would finaly be usefull, yay!) would be able to colonize the province to a nationality you wish:

idea: landlord is assigned in a province. One of his "actions" is colonization. Player clicks at it - he can now chose nationality that will colonize the province: he will have displayed all nationalities of all provinces he holds + his original nationality( for the case of f.i. Teutonic order and kingdom of Jerusalem who are in Baltic/Arabian area, but most of their knights were recruited in Germany/France while in the game all Teutonic knights have either Polish or Baltic names, and all Jerusalem knights are Arabian

This is just an idea for the patch or add-on if some will come... unfortunately I'm unable to do this in moding :(

Despot Dobrotitza
13-07-2005, 15:12
The situation as it is would almost make sense if it werent for the fact that the names are not a mixture of all provinces you own. If I had Greek, Bohemian, Croatian and Hungarian and Bulgarian and whatever else I have conqered names, I would not be as annoyed.