PDA

View Full Version : Some Newbie Questions

Big J Money
11-07-2005, 04:56
Hey, I'm new to this game. I've played the demo for several hours (until it kicks me!) a few times, and I'm waiting for the game to arrive in the mail, now. Here are some things I couldn't figure out in the in-game help:

1) Is a large population useful for anything other than training large armies?

2) I noticed that villages have two kinds of icons. Little and big ones. The Big ones are the base production, and the little ones are bonuses from buildings, etc. Well, later in my game, I noticed that in my main province, all the big village icons doubled! I couldn't figure out what caused this. I'd really like to know.

3) I built a lot of special seige defenses and a garrison in my city, but the AI never assaults my walls. Is this because it's the demo? Also, I don't seem to have the option to assault enemy castles either. Now, since I am not allowed to build seige weapons in the demo, this isn't so bad, but I'm wondering if I'll get the option in the full game?

3b) I'm also confused about how seiges work. Does my castle provide "attrition" to the enemy forces while they are seiging me? Is there a way for me to sally out and attack them if I hire a marshall at that city? Or, can I take an army from nearby and attack the besiegers? Can I lead this battle myself?

4) I tried to get into position to attack someone crossing a river, but this seems almost impossible! Is there a trick to this?

5) What happens if I run my ship into an enemy ship? Will the armies fight like pirates? Lol.

6) Is there a way to take command of a battle if you've already chosen not to from the start? Like, if I attack someone with my army, choose not to lead, and then attack them with a second army. Now I want to lead it.

7) Is there a way to see what buildings or garrison are in an enemy city?

8) What bad happens to you if one of your villages gets pillaged? Does it simply not function while it's all burnt looking?

Okay, I think that's enough.... for now. Muahhahahaa!

Thanks,

=$= Big J Money =$=

conquestare legionare
11-07-2005, 10:54
1.Im not sure but i dont think its the population . but the scale of how many armie units are available to train. maybe even work force but im not sure.

2.Its because youve built a building that doubles the production in all vilages.

3.yes you will!!!!:smile: , but it wont be very usefull until later in the game were most of the kingdoms build fortifcations.

3.b yes your castle will provide attrition to enemy forces while being sieged, you will be able to break the siege . and then either stay and defend the castle or get your forces out6side the castle to attack the enemy th first thing is recommended.while they are siegeing you will be able to reinforce your army with a second marshal , or when they are attacking. while your leading your marshal can only be reinforced if your second marshakl is in the province.
anytime a befdore the battle you will be asked to either lead it or make the marshal do it , to lead your self is better but as your a beginner you might lose many men.

4.you will just have to wait until it happens :smile:

5.yeah :biggrin: just skip the cannons , the early guns . and put armors and bows in stead.

6.nope youve already chosen too not to.but you can always watch i from the battle tab by right clicking on your marshal.

7.im not sure about that maybe if your spy is governering it.

8.yepp because the hole village is burnt down . it wll slowly restore.

no problem =$= Big J Money =$= nice name :biggrin:

Big J Money
13-07-2005, 00:39
5) Could you maybe clarify this, I can't quite understand you. By the way, I got hammered in my first sea battle, hehe. I even had a better army, so I'm not sure how it happened.

2) I still seem to get some bonuses that my buildings aren't accounting for. Are you sure you don't automatically get some rural area bonuses when your city increases to a certain size?

8) I've done some checking and I can't seem to find any penalties whatsoever for having a rural area pillaged.

=$=

Elvain
13-07-2005, 00:50
8 - if the rural area is plundered you have no benefit from it and the population is unhappy that you weren¨t able to protect them...

5 - naval battle takes part when 2 enemy ships meet, right. You can't lead it yourself, only leave it to AI. It is strongyl influenced by morale as all armies suffer morale penalty on the sea. In this case Admirality skill helps wastly

2 - some bonuses are forgotten to be mentioned. There are 2 kiknds of town incomes: town income and income from villages: town income is affected by population of the town and buildings that are built, village bonuses(income) is affected by buildings and number of villages

Big J Money
13-07-2005, 04:31
Argh... I really hope I don't come off as a jerk, but maybe I'm not making myself clear. I must elaborate:

2) I understand about town income. I'm not talking about towns at all. I'm talking about how I seem to have these bonus production icons appearing over my rural areas which don't have an explanation. I understand, for example, that if you build a hostel all your villages will gain a +2 worker bonus. This shows up as two small icons, which are added to the one big icon which the village begins play with. I've noticed that, after a while, I will gain another big icon later in the game. I was wondering if anyone could account for it, as it seems I have not built any more buildings which give my villages a bonus. If this is unlear, please specify exactly what is unclear.

8) When I play, I notice that even though my rural areas are pillaged, I am still getting all the bonuses from them I've tested this by watching a village while it is being pillaged, and when it is all over and burnt to the ground, my bonuses are all the same. Am I the only person to notice this?

Blah! Okay, thanks for your patience, and thanks a lot for all of your answer, so far.

=$=

Elvain
13-07-2005, 09:22
2) finally I got it. Haven't you reached some Kingdom Advantage before those big icons appeared? it is the most probable solution.
If not, it is caused by reaching some town level(I find the second vesrion quite inprobable)

8) no I haven't noticed this