PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Jonny211
13-07-2005, 12:35
Hiya,

I'm new to KoH, I've hada go at the demo and it seems like a great game, plus the user reviews I've found sound pretty positive.

I have some questions though:-
Is the AI any good - in the demo I was Bohemia, immeadiately declared independence from Germany and was at war with them and managed to immeadiately sue for a white peace. Hmmm... a bit too easy.

Have there been any patches? Have the made any improvements!

Can you rampage all over the map like in other games and the other countries just let themselves be swallowed up one by one or do they join forces against you?

What's the replayability like?

Finally a big hello to all, I've heard this a friendley community :cool:

Jon

Da Bomb
13-07-2005, 18:33
1. There is a patch from the demo. If you are in Europe you must buy game and download 1.03 patch, but US it's with the game.

2. Yes, most people realize that the AI is poor at times, and that is the main problem of the game. But there are people-here-made mods that make the game much better in my opinion.

3. The patch does a little but not as much dramatic changes as the mods here that you must try.

4. It depends on the attacking. If you happen to run into two enemy armies they might both attack you but one country won't go out of it's way to protect their ally unless their army is very close. Normally countries allied and with the same enemies might attack the same kingdom but it's not too often that there armies attack the same area together. You can't coordinate that sort of thing, just be on the lookout for allies' armies.

5. The replayability is semi-high, but much much higher with mods because they make the game more challenging and add more cool bonuses and changes to the game. Go to the modding sectiona nd read about what they do.

6. Hello :hello: :cheers: It is a friendly community. There is the occasional whiner but 95% of the people here (or more) are friendly and got a warm welcome.

Anguille2
14-07-2005, 08:25
Hello and welcome

:cheers:

maladominus
14-07-2005, 13:40
Yes, the AI is not very good. But many other things are good about this game. Still worth buying and playing!

As for the AI agreeing to peace right after you broke vassalage.... well, that's actually typical. In most cases, the Master Nation will want to make peace quickly with a Former Vassal, especially if they had OK relations. They really dont wish to fight..... unless their relations were terrible to begin with.

For a little challenge, try playing on Hard setting all the time. The AI can still be beaten in most wars, but in this setting.... I find that the AI sometimes plays viciously, sending waves after waves of armies to beseige your cities.

Also for extra challenge, never play the large kingdoms (like Germany) as that would make it way too easy. Always play the small nations, that start out with only a couple of provinces. It is always fun to see your 2-province nation grow into a huge empire.

Yes, you can rampage all over the map.... well, that is the point of the game, to become the Ultimate Emperor of Europe. At some point, you need to have your armies go out and conquer and slaughter tons of nations and crush them under your boot.

Jonny211
17-07-2005, 00:17
Hiya,

I've tracked down a copy and started my first game... it doesn't seem a bit more beer n' pretzels than Crusader Kings but I suppose I'll have to play a bit more.

Jon

Largefry07
17-07-2005, 00:51
Have fun. Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll help you.

Jonny211
18-07-2005, 10:01
hmmmm.... I've had one problem so far. My king was acting as a marshal and happened to die of old age when commanding an army sitting in a town, and the army then dissapeared rather than the units being transferred to the garrison. How annoying.

I'm running GoG V1.6 by the way.

Jon

Baghera
19-07-2005, 23:11
That's normal, very annoying, and perhaps explainable through the pseudo realistic idea that the Kings personal retinue won't serve any longer. I tend to retire my kings from the field when they get "Very Old" or "Venerable" and train them as something a little less dangerous for the rest of their days.

Jonny211
20-07-2005, 18:03
Hmmm.... it's a shame to spend your hard earned/extorted cash on an army only to have it dissapear when the king goes six feet under.

Jon

Kris_stz
20-07-2005, 18:09
Yeah its very nasty when you have a big,strong and powerful army and the marshal who leads it(the King)dies or if your marshal is a spy.Then your army become mercaneries for the enemy!