PDA

View Full Version : Glory of God mod thanks + AAR

JustinianII
16-07-2005, 04:56
I wanted to say thanks to Angryminer for the GoG mod. I finished my first full game just now under the mod (Castila, High Middle Ages) and it was fun. I wouldn't exactly call it very tough (though I suspect starting as a 1 province nation would be quite a bit harder) but it was much more engaging. The economy is vastly improved. I might tweak town tributes up by 20% over massively lower amounts you get now but that's minor quibbling over details. Having your main income until the mid or late game be taxes rather than tribute makes things much better. Increasing the prices of Marshalls above the first helps a lot, too. I ended up running 1 regular marshall plus a King/Prince to put down rebellions for all but the endgame when I could afford 400/clock tick for two full time marshalls.

I'm not sure about the rationale for lowering the cost of the exotic goods. There isn't any reason not to get all of the exotics as fast as possible now since if you are running a couple good merchants, you make more on your trade routes than the cost of the exotics. Still a fairly minor point.

The two main points I see that would really help out the game's difficulty would be:

1) The AI still gets into a lot of foolish wars. Why are they constantly fighting 3-4 enemies? Nobody is able to put together a large empire because they are constantly exhausting themselves.

2) The AI still uses mostly crappy units. Mostly, I think, because they never have the gold for the good units because they are constantly at war with half the continent. As much more interesting as the mod makes the game, the difficulty will never be what it should be when I'm constantly fighting swordsmen and some archers with Heavy Crossbowmen or Longbowmen, Feudal Knights, and Templars/Teutonic Knights. I stomp them into dust one on one.

This would seem easily addressed in a patch. I'll admit that is easier to say than program, but making the AI much less likely to declare war, and MUCH MUCH less likely to declare war on multiple opponents, plus prioritizing better units would make this an awesome game.

An AAR of my Castila game would be extremely interesting: I started out slowly but then when England declared war on me, I sent my 5 star spy after them. I managed to kill their King in battle and my spy was crowned King of England! I handed over the crown and now controllwed half of Spain, Aquitaine, Normandy, Ireland, and all of England but Scotland and Wales! I was far and away the most powerful nation and thought it was gonna be a cakewalk I pumped up all my cities for an hour or two, managed to get all the trade goods except for clothing, got two immensely valuable trade routes running, and built up two really strong armies. It looked like it was all over for Europe.... and then my King was assassinated by an enemy spy while my heirs were still babies!

My whole empire fell apart. I can't overstate how screwed I was by this assassination. I was instantly at war with the entire British Isles, Aquitaine, Leon, Navarre, and some other people. My best army had evaporated when my King died. I lost al but three of my trade goods, and my income went into the toilet. Aquitane invaded and took one of my built up cities... and I was down to my original three freaking provinces! After hours and hours of gameplay!

I was pissed.

Managed to claw back though by defeating a couple field armies with "I'll Lead" and suing for peace as quickly as I could with as many people as I could. Aquitane was the hardest... I had turned the province into a fortress with all kinds of siege defences, moat, Templars, etc. And they wouldn't accept peace no matter what I did, so I spent an hour just fighting off their armies until I could slowly save enough gold to build two armies capable of sieging the place.

Once I got Aquitance back things were a lot easier (it was producing like 5 trade goods, etc) and I concentrated on uniting Spain. Once I did that, it was essentially mopping up. Eventually I bribed all the powerful nations into voting me emperor.

Lots of fun. Thanks for the mod. I don't suppose there is any way to make the AI build better units via your mod?

Angryminer
16-07-2005, 13:08
Great feedback! That was fun to read. Great that you didn't just releod a savegame and continued playing. :go:

Let's go through some of the points:
1. The AI won't ever take the amount of current enemies into consideration when deciding wether to start another war and I can't change anything about it. It will treat each declaration of war as the other. No matter how many wars it is currently in.
2. It is very hard to find the balance between "too many wars" and "too few wars", but I already have something in mind to make the AI a bit more constant in it's poltical ideas.
3. I never go for exotics in my game because I find them a "cheap way to victory" because only the player can get them. That's why I removed the exotics and replaced them by valuables both the player and the AI can produce (I'll release this in the next version of GoG). Of course the player will reach them much faster, but by chance the AI might get to also produce them and reach kingdom advantages.
4. The AI doesn't produce good constructions due to two problems:
a) It doesn't ever plan reaching goals with building constructions. It will randomly build the constructiuns that are available and affortable. By chance this leads to the building of the requirements of advanced constructions. I'll have to rework the tech-tree so either lots of military buildings or lots of economic buildings are available so chances are good the AI builds economic and military centers like the player does.
b) The AI will only recruit units it can currently affort. This leads to a equally senseless behaviour like with the construction of buildings. I have to someway make sure that the AI doesn't waste units so it can upgrade it's armies slowly until it has a dangerous army. Propably less wars will help the AI here.

Angryminer

JustinianII
16-07-2005, 21:26
Sounds like a good plan. The AI stuff are things the programmers should be working on, not we players. The game isn't very buggy so it seems like a decent AI patch wouldn't take that much effort. It wouldn't have to be perfect... even a few tweaks as to how likely the AI is to go to war or how they build constructions and armies would be wonderful.

JustinianII
17-07-2005, 23:50
Angryminer: Given that in depth AI tweaks are beyond modding's scope, is it possible to give the AI an economy boost? If they are building at random, the only way to make them competitive is to let them build a lot more buildings than the human player. I don't like this prospect at all, but if what you say about random building is true the AI will never, ever be competitive as is.

maladominus
18-07-2005, 00:34
Angryminer: Given that in depth AI tweaks are beyond modding's scope, is it possible to give the AI an economy boost? If they are building at random, the only way to make them competitive is to let them build a lot more buildings than the human player. I don't like this prospect at all, but if what you say about random building is true the AI will never, ever be competitive as is.

After so many games, I also believe that the dumb AI *does* in fact build buildings randomly.

FACT: The AI will build an Axesmith in a province that CANNOT produce Axemen troops.

I know this for a fact. I witness the AI "conquer" one of my provinces that could not ever build Axemen (or any axe troops) as local or special units. When the AI took it over, it immediately started building an Axesmith building. When I re-captured the province, I saw that the AI began building an Axesmith. What the hell, I wondered why it would waste time building that. It was an absolute waste of time and money.

The AI I have also noticed that it will build things like "Plate Armoury" even tho it can never build any troops that will require plate armour.

JustinianII
18-07-2005, 02:57
Good point; I have noticed this as well.

If the AI is, as appears likely, building randomly then the only way to make it competitive is to improve the AI or to give them enough money that they can build a lot more buildings. They might build something useful completely by accident.

The more I play the more I come to believe that there isn't a bad AI. There isn't a good AI. There isn't any AI at all. The computer builds things randomly on the strategic map and in the battle map they just rush at your Marshall, even to the point of ignoring the other units which are mowing them down if you exploit this weakness.

The only place there appears to be any AI at all is in the diplomacy stuff.

Angryminer
18-07-2005, 16:19
1. No, I can't give the AI more money than the player. That's not possible through modding.
2. When I adjust the techtree I think "If the AI randomly builds constructions, which techtree would lead to the best result?"
That was also the thought behind GoG's taxation system:
a) Population means taxes.
b) Buildings mean population.
c) No matter which building the AI constructs, it will get a bit more taxes.
-> The AI can compete! (in this small area)

80% of GoG's features are motivated by these thoughts.

Angryminer