PDA

View Full Version : 'The Pope has called for a crusade'.... now what?

Jonny211
21-07-2005, 14:21
Hiya all,

I keep hearing that the Pope has called for a crusade but never see anything in the text window... how do I join a crusade and what happens if I ignore it??

Jon

Largefry07
21-07-2005, 21:15
The pope askes a marshall if he wants to go on a crusade. He'll eventually ask one of your and you can choose if you want your marshall to go on one or not. But if you do decide to have a marshall to go on one you are very little control over him and you will loose his existing army.

maladominus
22-07-2005, 02:38
The pope askes a marshall if he wants to go on a crusade. He'll eventually ask one of your and you can choose if you want your marshall to go on one or not. But if you do decide to have a marshall to go on one you are very little control over him and you will loose his existing army.

Actually, your marshall wont "lose" his existing army really. He only drops his existing army. He drops it on the ground and it becomes just like a Mercenary Camp, where those same troops can be picked up later by ANY of your marshalls. Unlike a mercenary camp, those dropped troops can be picked up FREE of any cost. However, be careful..... those "free" (dropped) troops on the ground can sometimes be picked up by enemy marshalls.

This is a known tactic. You have a PRINCE (or king) as a marshall. Then you decide to recall your prince-marshall back instantly to your royal court. What happens? Ummm, like I said, his army gets DROPPED instanty on the ground. They can be picked up later (for free cost) by any of your marshals. However, any enemy marshall that walks near the area will also be tempted to pick them up.

Just imagine if you dropped an army of 9 Feudal Knight Squads.... and then some enemy army comes and picks them up for free (steals your troops)? LOL This can be distrastrous... but I have seen it happen to me.

Da Bomb
22-07-2005, 03:36
It doesn't happen for free to everyone. Only to the country that lost the units. To other nations it still costs money.

Largefry07
22-07-2005, 04:14
Yes they do become mercenaries but they lose their exiperence. So it is like lossing an army if they were highly exiperenced

Jabba
22-07-2005, 17:57
So what's the point of going on a crusade then?

Richard
22-07-2005, 19:56
Your relation improves with other catholics, when you marchal conquer a provinse you can get a vassal or pillage the province which gets you alot of gold.

maladominus
23-07-2005, 00:18
Your relation improves with other catholics, when you marchal conquer a provinse you can get a vassal or pillage the province which gets you alot of gold.

When a foreign Pope assigns your marshall on a Crusade, the Crusade leads to your marshall having an invincible Crusader army which GANKS a Muslim province. Then, that conquered muslim province becomes your vassal (a weak newborn 1-province nation that happens to be Christian religion, but really sitting on muslim lands).

When YOUR kingdom has its own Pope, you may call out your own Crusades. The difference here is that YOUR own Crusades, you may appoint any of your marshalls... and ONCE they gank the muslim province, you are given the option to KEEP the conquered muslim province as a part of your kingdom.

Angryminer
23-07-2005, 11:26
My way to utilize crusades:
1. Get the pope into your court.
2. Hire a new marshall.
3. Make him crusade immediately.
4. Hire a second new marshall.
5. Make him also crusade immediately on the same nation.
6. Repeat the procedure until you are excommunicated or your court is full. Excommunication can be avoided by choosing the right enemy. Muslims that are at war with two catholics (you can raise the number by declaring war by yourself, and making your vasall declare war :wink: ) can be constantly attacked with crusades.
7. After you got 3-4 vasalls with each one province, directly neighbouring each other, make them declare war on one another. One after another, the best vasall will prevail and become a 4-province-vasall. You can speed up the procedure by giving only one of them money.
Hint: A spy at the court of your favorite vasall will help you to take over the crown once the vasall tries to leave your protection :dwink: .

Angryminer