PDA

View Full Version : Unit availability

Tricon
02-08-2005, 00:09
Hi all.As the question suggests, I'm new to the game.
But let me asure you that i used the search function... and though I found quite a lot of interesting discussions about the availability of kingdom and region specific units, I did not find the answer to my simple question:

If i click on theŽ"enlist troops" button, I see a varying number of possible types of troops to recruit. Now, the question: Do i see all POSSIBLE troops for the province EVER? = is Norland (Sweden) doomed to axemen, viking, peasent, bowmen. And no others? I'm building armories and sworsmiths and whatnots all over the northern provinces but get stuck (in some of my fastest producing provinces) with these low tech units. Not that it is unfair ... I can live with it. I just want to know if I missed something.(The manual is a bit lacking in that regard... or else I' m just a bit feeble.)
Thanks for your time.
Tricon.

Angryminer
02-08-2005, 00:18
No, you didn't miss anything.
You can only build those units that are either available right now or grayed out (which means you still need constructions to build them). No more, no less.
Go capture some nice provinces when you want other units. The political map with the unit-filter helps alot in picking targets :go: .

Angryminer

maladominus
02-08-2005, 00:23
Hi all.As the question suggests, I'm new to the game.
But let me asure you that i used the search function... and though I found quite a lot of interesting discussions about the availability of kingdom and region specific units, I did not find the answer to my simple question:

If i click on theŽ"enlist troops" button, I see a varying number of possible types of troops to recruit. Now, the question: Do i see all POSSIBLE troops for the province EVER? = is Norland (Sweden) doomed to axemen, viking, peasent, bowmen. And no others?

You are correct.

When the game starts, each province lists ALL possible units they can ever make.

However, just because they are listed does not mean you can make those units yet. You still need to build the required buildings to activate them.

When the military unit silhouette is "greyed out" that means it is possible for the province to make that unit in the future, but you still have not built the required buildings and armories to activate them.

And to be honest.... Sweden and Norway have among the worst choices of military unit types. Vikings are about their most "interesting" military unit in all of Scandinavia.

However.... a couple of tips for you: one or two of your Scandinavia provinces can create Men-at-Arms. Those are always valuable infantry troops. Another tip is that you should conquer the Danish provinces (IIRC Zealand or Jutland?) because those Dane provinces can also built Feudal Knights and other interesting builds.

And a third tip is that you should also grab the coastal provinces of Prussia/Teutonics because those provinces can build Teutonic Knights, Feudal Knights, Men-at-Arms and other elite units.

Tricon
02-08-2005, 00:54
Thanks for the replies guys. Much apreciated.
Yup. The southernmost swedish starting province has men at arms. The (former, he, he -> inherited) danish provinces of Oslo is also quite nice.

Angryminer, your mod looks very interesting. As soon as I get some experience (my fill with KoH: hard) I havve to try it. Upkeep for the second marshal. Yikes. Considering the lackluster reproductive drive of my king....

Another quick question regarding "reproduction": Do clerics get less or no children (since he can be married...)? What if the cleric becomes King later on.... .
Thanks again.
Tricon.

Angryminer
02-08-2005, 12:11
Being cleric or not cleric has no effect on fertility.
The only thing that influences fertility is the availability of a woman. :wink:

Angryminer

Mircoslavux
02-08-2005, 12:26
Being cleric or not cleric has no effect on fertility.
The only thing that influences fertility is the availability of a woman. :wink:

Angryminer

Hoi
from my own experience it has.
As I have used the king as cleric, he has no one or only one child. As I used him as merchant and upgrade him he has more children (mostly)......
who does it know? :scratch: