PDA

View Full Version : The Pope

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kris_stz
04-08-2005, 19:37
Hi all new and "old" in the game.

I've heard so much of this famous Pope! :rofl:
I know of his deeds-curssrdaes,excomunications.

He's a great man and I honor him very much. :lol:
But I've allways asked myself this question:What happens when he dies?

Now I know the answer to this question and to this one:How to get my cleric to be the next Pope.

But I've always asked myself this question and I never answered it: :angry:

Has anyone ever goten his cleric being the next Pope? :bash:

Please help me answer it so that I can sleep soundly at night! :biggrin:

Largefry07
05-08-2005, 00:21
Yes. In fact I have had two consective popes before.

Richard
05-08-2005, 00:39
Yeah he is a good guy, calling for crusades to attack some distant muslim country while the doge of the papacy uses the opportunity to expand the papacy destroying the catholic world :silly: :rofl: :lol:

What happens when he dies?
A new one is elected. :silly:

How to get my cleric to be the next Pope
Good relations with papacy, other catholic kindoms add to a chance your cleric is elected, also the lvl of your cleric helps too.

Kris_stz
05-08-2005, 08:10
Yes its true.But whta are the options when your cleric is elected as the new Pope?Can you control him?Can you call for cursrades?Excomunicate others?Or if he is totaly out of your control?Maybe you can get other catholic kingdoms to donate to the new Pope-or give the money to you?

Mircoslavux
05-08-2005, 09:27
dear me, :eek:
my cleric***** was voted for a pope, then I let him at my court and excomunicated some enemy realms and after a while this mine learned bastard excomunicated myself. :angry:

I'm controling now about 60 provinces, so the papacy (if will remain) will be like delicatesse for my on the very end. :angry: :lol:

Kris_stz
05-08-2005, 15:52
So your saying that you can contorl the pope?Wow!

Tricon
05-08-2005, 18:32
Yes, to some extend.
YOu can order him to excomunicate other catolics. (In my experience) He usually follows those orders, BUT if you abuse this power, or wage to many wars against catholics, he can and will excomunicate you as well. So far, I was not given the option to declare a crusade, though he (independantly of me) has declard a couple himself - and excomunicated about half a dozen coiuntries. He seems to be a pretty angry pope, the former pope seemed to be much more benelovent. Maybe I shouldn't have trained him so hard (level 3).
Then Again, so far he leaves me alone. (But he does take up a spot in your court.

junobeach
05-08-2005, 19:20
Having the Pope in your court is a waste of a spot for me. I trained my Cleric to level 5 to adopt/convert Provinces (I'm a huge warmonger) then the old pope dies and I lose my highly trained Cleric to be the new Pope. I asked him to ex-communicate one country with no problem. I asked again and he ex-communicated me! Also, I don't see the advantage of having one of my Marshals's ask for a Crusade. I don't want to lose a highly trained Marshal too.

Tricon
05-08-2005, 20:11
If you're a warmonger, then just don't let your marshall go. What do you care if other catholic countries frown upon you? You just want to conquer them anyway.
As for the pope: I think that is an offer that is hard to refuse. I don't think a cleric would listen to a mere king in that regard.

Xazax
05-08-2005, 20:18
Well a funny thing just happened. i was having fun declaring crusades with my pope agaist muslim factions then on my 3rd crusade he excommanicated me for "being a bad catholic" i do not understand this i should be able to abuse my position as along as its agaist different religions not to mention i waste piety doing so and i see Kingdoms calling crusades all the time they call the crusades the pope doesnt ask them to lead one they just call for them, any idea how this is done?

junobeach
05-08-2005, 20:19
Oh, I thought if you have your Marshal ask the Pope for a Crusade he would automatically lead it. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Xazax
05-08-2005, 20:24
Well by declaring crusades i mean i use my marshals not other kingdoms marshals and when i got my 3rd marshal i wanted him to lead a crusade so i went to "call for crusade" button and when i did the pope excommaicated my butt(the crusade was agaist the berbers)

Baghera
05-08-2005, 20:41
Well by declaring crusades i mean i use my marshals not other kingdoms marshals and when i got my 3rd marshal i wanted him to lead a crusade so i went to "call for crusade" button and when i did the pope excommaicated my butt(the crusade was agaist the berbers)

If the Berbers had good alliances with other Catholic kingdoms the Pope may have frowned upon it enough to send you to :angry:

Kris_stz
05-08-2005, 21:12
So the pope has his own will?

Xazax
05-08-2005, 21:16
Has any one had a spy become a cleric then become a pope that would be very impossilbe but with this game who knows! and if they did what can he besides regular pope stuff? does he die?

junobeach
05-08-2005, 21:43
So the pope has his own will?
Totally. You have limited control of him.

Kuno of Gersenau
05-08-2005, 21:50
Has any one had a spy become a cleric then become a pope that would be very impossilbe but with this game who knows! and if they did what can he besides regular pope stuff? does he die?
i never had this, but I think Frujin said once, that it's possible...

Doux
05-08-2005, 21:52
I've had the Pope once, and was not too happy with it. I broke bonds with him in the end, because I needed a province converter. It's really absurd that the Pope isn't able to do that. You'd say he'd convert thrice as fast..

The Pope has his own will, and you can give him certain orders, but not too many in sequence or he'll think you're misusing him.

Better to be Orthodox, and Byzantium - no problems with Pope's :)

Spy Cleric and then Pope? That's absolutely possible. It wouldn't give you more power in any way I'd say though.. the manual says something about Spy being Cleric being Pope in the Papacy - that gave extra powers. Hmm, I'll have a look at that sometime.

Da Bomb
05-08-2005, 22:09

Actually it has happened to me. I was Almohads and I got a spy into Bohemia I believe. He was hired as a cleric and luckily Pope!! I could do anything you could normally do with the pope. The only thing I couldn't do was call for a crusade because I was Muslim. But I excommunicated people like crazy because I couldn't be harmed and since he was Pope he was eventually going to leave me anyways. Basically you can't be harmed, but if you call crusades wrongfully as a spy pope I'm not sure what would happen. Maybe you would be excommunicated or maybe the country who you spied on. I was Muslim so I excommunicated people until the Pope was taken away... :biggrin:

Kris_stz
06-08-2005, 07:19
Well I do remember this.My spy was a cleric once and was elected for the pope.But in my firs atempt to do something he was caught.And the ransom was HUGE!!!