PDA

View Full Version : Why do I feel Like Feudal Knights are Worthless?

Pages : [1] 2

Conan
08-08-2005, 07:06
Hi, I'm new to the forum! I bought the game a few days ago and it's great. I don't think I can ever go back to Age of Empires II after playing this. This is FAR MORE realistic and less frustrating. My only complaint is the inclusion of these assinine enemy camps that shoot arrows thousands of miles.

My question is about the expensive calvary units - especially feudal knights.
Are they worthless? It seems like my ultra-expensive knights have been defeated several times by squads of cheap footmen-swordsman, spearman, and even militia!

approx.6000gold buys approx.20 knights and approx.600 gold buys approx.50 footmen!
Are these masses of cheap men more effective than small squads of knights in your experiences?
You are only allowed a limited number of squads per marshalls, so whay by small expensive squads?

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 08:38
Well come to the forum and the game Conan. :halloha:

You are right about hte game.Its totaly more supiriour than other stratigic games. :go:

Them camps are called fortify camps.You can get one too.You just need the skill tactician.

The fudural knights are the best cavaraly you can get. :bowdown:

Yet they can be killed easily.The footmen are good and cheap but they outnumber the knights. :oogle2:

The knights+The marshals knights+2 groups of light cavaraly or other=Unstoppable army!

They cost much to buy but they even cost more to refill!Very powerful but if outnmbered they are easy pray! :swordfigh

I don't know why is that. :huh:

Angryminer
08-08-2005, 12:27
Feudal Knights have to be used correctly. Their charge is extremely effective and two squads of feudal knights can destroy a medium-quality army single-handedly with losses around 5%.

Angryminer

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 12:29
The more the better,eh?

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 12:30
But cavaraly is easily destroyed by crossowbow men.Even the marshals knights(and himself :lol:)

Angryminer
08-08-2005, 12:39
That's why I say you have to use the feudal knights wisely. It would be extremely dumb to charge your feudals into some crossbowmen and have them slaughtered at first sight. Better go for some unprotected archers, make them surrender, then pick some swordsmen, make them surrender, then charge the heavy infantry, and when the enemy morale is totally down, charge at the crossbowmen and enemy cavalry from behind - or just finish the enemy marshall.

Angryminer

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 12:59
Yeas but what if your enemy's army is made only of crossowbow men?

Doux
08-08-2005, 13:42
Well, charge them directly or flank 'em. Use the wide formation while nearing, and the close formations while battling.

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 13:45
What if they just wait and when I get closer start to kill!

Angryminer
08-08-2005, 13:46
1. The AI won't do that. The AI will always come to get you.
2. In multiplayer you won't see an all-crossbowmen-army because you can't effort it.

Angryminer

Doux
08-08-2005, 13:49
They'll do that. But that's why you charge and loosen formation - to keep the losses minimized.

A 100% Heavy Crossbowmen army can't beat a 100% Feudal Knights army.. unless they have ballistics 100% and use the right formations. That would be (I can't imagine an AI to use such strats) destructive.

Angryminer
08-08-2005, 13:53
Rebels with 30% bonus and 2 squads of heavy crossbowmen are very, very, very dangerous. I saw that once and one shot from one squad reduced 22 feudal knights to 5.
I was glad that I still had a second squad charging... Now I'm definitely more careful with crossbowmen.

Angryminer

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 14:09
Wow :eek:!I guess I shouldn't underastemate them crossowbowmen huh?If they can do that to feudural knights imagine what can they do to lets say peasants?But I've noticed that crossowbomen are very unacurate when shooting at peasants.Why?

Angryminer
08-08-2005, 17:37
Bolts don't fly a long distance and are far less accurate than arrows but have no problems piercing armor. So they are effective against armored units but ineffective against unarmored units. Conclusion: The peasants will slaughter the crossbowmen.

Angryminer

Kris_stz
08-08-2005, 19:46
Cool:
Having problem with them crossowbomen?
Have they killed all of your cavaraly?

Try this new product NOW:The amazing power of the peasants.Meny,compact but effective!
Garanted 100% crossowbow-men-free!

Call now and order them:Each group costs 200 gold and 20 food+1 population
Call this number now:Knights Of Honor

Richard
08-08-2005, 20:22
Lol kris... :rofl: the phone # is 1-800 koh? I think i'm gonna need a group.

Welcome to the forum conan. Cavarly aren't useless, they are destroyed by mid infantry because of many different reasons. 1 they are outnombered greatly(10 knights against what 40-50 men) 2 moral is very important, if you have lower moral than the enemy you will most likely lose, try usign the skills that add mora(leadership/conqueror, ect) and the one that takes away from enemy( dread) they will help you alot. also cavarly isn't a unit that is suppost to be fighting the battles, they are suppost to be support units, meaning they are used to stop archers, help in a bad situation( you marchal is getting slouter, send them to his aid) and to cach up with retreating units.

Wolfgrin
08-08-2005, 20:44
Crossbowmen aren't modelled correctly in the game. They were VERY accurate, had tons of power and were easy to learn (as opposed to learning the longbow). Their only drawback was the long reload time. My point is, they should kill peasants just as well as armored troops. They don't seem to, though.

Kris_stz
09-08-2005, 07:15
Well you can't expect everything to be exactly how it was do you Wolfgrin?
Thanks Richard.Maybe I should add a little something to the advirtise?

Conan
09-08-2005, 07:56
Lol kris... :rofl: the phone # is 1-800 koh? I think i'm gonna need a group.

Welcome to the forum conan. Cavarly aren't useless, they are destroyed by mid infantry because of many different reasons. 1 they are outnombered greatly(10 knights against what 40-50 men) 2 moral is very important, if you have lower moral than the enemy you will most likely lose, try usign the skills that add mora(leadership/conqueror, ect) and the one that takes away from enemy( dread) they will help you alot. also cavarly isn't a unit that is suppost to be fighting the battles, they are suppost to be support units, meaning they are used to stop archers, help in a bad situation( you marchal is getting slouter, send them to his aid) and to cach up with retreating units.

I understand the importance of heavy calvary as support units vs. archers, but I think the designers made a blunder when they made calvary greatly outnumbered by footmen. This gives players little reason to hire more than 2 calvary squads per marshall - eliminating massive knight vs knight clashes.
I don't think a 100% F.Knight army could defeat a 100%Militia army in this game because the designers have limited the amount you can have compared to milita, swordsman, ect.
Heavy calvary fill a subordinate role in this game.

Conan
09-08-2005, 08:06
Crossbowmen aren't modelled correctly in the game. They were VERY accurate, had tons of power and were easy to learn (as opposed to learning the longbow). Their only drawback was the long reload time. My point is, they should kill peasants just as well as armored troops. They don't seem to, though.

You are absolutely right. This is my understanding. The longbow required highly skilled and strong men. A longbowmen could fire 6-10 arrows per minute.

Anyway, it's easy to nitpick an otherwise excellent game. It's my current favorite.