PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Popularity Penalties

Canute
14-08-2005, 08:08
It occures to me that I have not seen a discussion of dishonourable conduct that gets you a bad name.

Are you penalized for:

Having troups in a country when you declare war?

Attacking a retreating army under white flag?

Capturing, then killing an enemy marshal vs. having no slot to capture a marshal and killing him on the field.

Is there an expectation of how long a peace will last before you can declare war again?

What happens if you promise to invade another country and never do? or you negotiate a peace quickly?

Can anyone point to a precise list of actions and damage(s) to your reputation?

Anyone have anything to say about the whole topic of conquest and elimination of your oponent?

C

Kris_stz
14-08-2005, 09:12
:lol:
The game is called Knights Of HONOR.
You get penalties if:1.You break agreenments with somebody.
2.Declare war on a kingdom wich has no agreenment with you but has a great relation with you.
3.Declare too many wars.
4.Capturing Papacy.
5.Declaring an indipendent churc.
6.Executing too many prisoners is a short period of time.
7.Break agreenments with someone when asked by another country.
About your qestions:
1.No.Its a war!Its supposed to be that way.
2.No.If you are at war why not win it?!
3.No.In a battle anyine can die!And if the country refuses to pay you the ransom-kill em.
4.No.It can't last forever.Then again I've never asked myself taht qestion.
5.Nothing.If you are at war and never invade the relation will increase positivley and they'll ask you for peace offering you something big.
6&7 are answered.
:lol:

Angryminer
14-08-2005, 12:39
Declaring war while in enemy-country:
The feature was announced before the release. If the penalty is still there it is too small to be noticed.

Attacking fleeing armies:
No rules about this have been anounced and the scripts show no evidence of this.

Execute prisoner versus end his life because no slot is free:
I didn't test this. Anyone tested that?

The expected time of duration after a peace treaty:
The feature was announced and the KoH-scripts have values that should steer this behaviour. But as far as I know it doesn't work. (At least I never experienced it noticably.)

No action after being payed for war:
You promise only to declare war. No more. And that is what you did. Anything beyond the declaration of war is optional. You can sign peace directly after the declaration of war, if the enemy kingdom lets you.

Precise list:
Death of king (all positive relations will decrease), deny crusade, break treaty, conquer province, deny request in audience (only in mods), execute prisoner, declare war (your victims ally will dislike you then). And a lot more. Try just to behave :wink: .

I hope this helps. :go:

Angryminer

Kris_stz
14-08-2005, 15:04
I think both our answers should answer.

Gallifrey
14-08-2005, 17:02
Declaring war while in enemy-country:
The feature was announced before the release. If the penalty is still there it is too small to be noticed.

I'm not sure what degree the negative penalty to relations is for doing this, but other kingdoms do take note and your reputation is sullied. I once declared war while marching through the kingdom I was about to attack, and later, in a negotiation with another kingdom, was told my shameful action against so-and-so were known and so no treaties would be signed with the country I was negotiating with.
So, there is a reputation hit that's for sure. I'm not sure how long it lasts, whether it's the lifespan of your current king or something else. I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as in Civ3 where they seem to remember for millenia!

Canute
14-08-2005, 23:49
I appreciate the responses.

I think the whole game from the popularity and honour point of view is rather opaque.

I especially appreciate Angry's perspective from the game scripts.

Gallifrey - Its hard to tell from the user interface side what is really going on. The text for the kingdoms interaction is pretty weighty. Underneath it all they could simply react after the attack of a territory with whom they had a relationship. I wonder if they take notice of dishonourable acts in the campain?

C

Gallifrey
15-08-2005, 00:39
I wish I could remember the exact wording of the message, but it directly referenced my sneak attack on a particular kingdom, and therefore I was too untrustworthy to establish a treaty with.