PDA

View Full Version : not enough marshals!!

eskiesrock
17-08-2005, 21:11
I want spies, I want armies, I want merchants!! I wanna rule the map! But I can't because this stupid game won't give me enough marshalls!! I'm willing to let the whole "not enough building slots available" argument slide for now , we'll talk later, but you have to admit, when the romans ruled the world, there were more than 7 men running the show!!

Unless there's a huge patch in the works, I'm selling this puppy and never coming back! :bash:

General Juin
17-08-2005, 21:48
That's one of the challenges, especially late game. Initially you only need a 2-3 merchants, a cleric, a spy, and and 2-3 marshals. I never use landlords or builders. Over time I retire merchants and create more marshals. Deciding where to deply them is a key to balancing expansion and keeping the existing empire reasonably quiet.

Der Grosse
18-08-2005, 08:47
I really don’t understand why you need so many marshals??? :scratch:
You need 3 or 4 quality (developed) marshals, no more! In the game I play now, I only have one marshal and still I am the greatest military power in Europe, because my marshal is very skilled compare to the others!

IT’S NOT ABOUT THE QUANTITY, IT’S ABOUT QUALITY! :go:

Der Grosse

Elvain
18-08-2005, 09:36
I really don’t understand why you need so many marshals??? :scratch:
You need 3 or 4 quality (developed) marshals, no more! one of things Ilike in Knights of Honor is that you can chose your style.
You can have 9 marshalls if you want and if you are curageous enough to stand the risk of rebellion.
You can also have only one marshall and expand your empire rather via diplomacy and espionage.
But you are not forced to use either one or other style. It depends on YOU.

The challenge is in ballancing(if you want all knights:clerics, marshalls, merchants and spies), in risking a marshal revolt(when expansion is done by marshalls) or rebellions (when having too less marshalls on too large empire)

for me the motto of KoH is:
change the history in the way you like it :wink: (and don't expect it will be easy :dwink:)

Der Grosse
18-08-2005, 13:23
one of things Ilike in Knights of Honor is that you can chose your style.
You can have 9 marshalls if you want and if you are curageous enough to stand the risk of rebellion.
You can also have only one marshall and expand your empire rather via diplomacy and espionage.
But you are not forced to use either one or other style. It depends on YOU.

The challenge is in ballancing(if you want all knights:clerics, marshalls, merchants and spies), in risking a marshal revolt(when expansion is done by marshalls) or rebellions (when having too less marshalls on too large empire)

for me the motto of KoH is:
change the history in the way you like it :wink: (and don't expect it will be easy :dwink:)

I agree with Elvain! Freedom is what I like in this game! :go:

BUT having less (three for example) marshals is not a problem! Just make one of them cavalry marshal with third level “Strategist” skill and third level “Admiral” skill and he will reach any point of your great empire in a matter of seconds! In addition you can give him “Iron fist” skill and you will forget about rebel problems or so!

The point is that if you don’t use spy, cleric or merchant you are missing important things in the game!

If you are not stabilizing the newly conquered provinces sooner or later you will face the consequences of the so called Royal family crisis! I mean that if you have a lot of provinces with nostalgic fillings or different religion and if your king has no heirs, when he dies you can loose your great empire in a matter second! I have such experience when I lost nearly 12 provinces when my heirless King died (as you know you cannot control the birth rate of your Royal family) and this is only one of the problems which you can face! Also, it was very difficult to conquer back these provinces, because I developed the cities, build defensive structures, etc. and my marshals had very difficult times till I managed to conquer them back! :angry:

Der Grosse :cheers:

eskiesrock
18-08-2005, 16:53
Hmmmm, So if I have more clergy, for example?, then I won't need so many marshalls in the back end of my territory to quash all the damned rebellions? That's why I was thinking I need more. At first they were unhappy about buildings so I spent a generation of kings building things but that got boring so I went on the warpath. Now they're Angry I'm at war!!

I'll try mixing up the dudes a bit, What do you think, one clergy? he he!

Elvain
18-08-2005, 17:07
it depends on how many provinces have you conquered and how many provinces of diferent religion you rule. But it's much better to have one cleric to adopt people and convert them to your religion, than to have 2 marshalls to defeat all those rebellions. 1) it's cheaper, 2) it's definite - if you adopt the population and convert to your faith, the probability of rebellion is much lower. While defeating one rebellion does not mean there won't be any more :go:

In my games mostly one educated cleric is enough. But when I'm in need of books, I have 2.
Also it is very usefull to have at least 1 spy for counterspionage and if you are in need of money: take a merchant(but since you have gold income high enough it's waste of space to have merchants)

In my games I prefere having 2 marshals, 2-3 merchants, 1cleric and 2-3 spies. One place is good to have free and also I try to have one more place semi-free for the king to use him - if in need - as marshal if there are too many rebellions

General Juin
18-08-2005, 19:15
There is a good facet to rebellions - they get your marshals experience and traits !

junobeach
18-08-2005, 19:31
When I first started playing I felt I didn't have enough spaces for Marshals either. But now I've realized all I need is two Marshals for conquering; one Marshal (all calvary units) to quell rebellions; one Clergy for adoption/conversion; and one counter-spy (I use my King). The rest are for merchants in the beginning of the game and spies near the end. I try to always keep a space open for captured Marshals. The only "problem" I've been having is my Cleric seems to always get picked to be Pope (4 times in a row!) But I'm learning to use Crusades to my advantage. What a great game.

Tricon
18-08-2005, 20:52
The amount of slots are just right. If I could change something concerning the number of slots, it would be to add a two or three slot dungeon, so that prisoners do not take away slots.
But I do get by as it is.

Alex Poff
19-08-2005, 17:50
Because I am a lover of "even" numbers or something similiar, I would have preferred an even dozen slots for knights.

I always use one highly trained spy for internal protection and one highly trained cleric for converting provinces once I have conquered them. It really is significantly easier to convert these new provinces than to continue to run around with your marshalls trying to slap down the consistent rebellions.

This only leaves me with 7 slots for marshalls. I know that this is enough, but, like I said, I am a lover of even numbers and having 12 slots would then allow me to have 10 marshalls, a nice even number!

As it is though, this is a good game and I am enjoying playing it again after an almost 8 month layoff. On that note, are mods difficult to install, do they come with self installers and is there any place to "read up" on what any mods do before I actually try one that you folks might recommend?

Thanks!

Alex

Xuca
19-08-2005, 18:02
I recommend you this mod, (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=5167) and not just because it's mine. :biggrin:

Mods are easy to install, you just extract them to your KoH directory. But you need first to extract the paks using PakMan. (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=3255) It's all explained in my mod thread.

eskiesrock
19-08-2005, 18:34
Ok, I see there's more to the game than I've discovered. Thanks for the input there, folks!