PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested on elections, diplomacy and random events.

Empress Meg
06-09-2005, 18:14
Good day to you all. I do hope that my inquiry has not been answered in full (I’m a mod myself I know the drill if you will allow me to be so bold) however I would like to ask y’alls opinions on a few matters that I have encountered in my first full game of KoH.

In my first game I played as Norway, pressed the "claim your title" button and was promptly decimated by every nation under the sun. :cool: I then tried a game as The Highlands. After I conquered my Lowland cousins I was asked if I’d prefer to keep my old name of Highlands or switch to the name of Scotland. I enjoyed these little random events and was hoping to see a united England and then a United Kingdom once Ireland was taken. Yet it only happened the one time. Is there some way to continue adding these little random events in addition to the lovely surprises that occurred because of spies and rebels?

My second humbug came when I had to completely take the entire world under the banner of Scotland before I won. I was invited to many votes and then exponentially more elections when I become the top dog of Europe. I made sure to be allied and married to as many of the leading kingdoms and to be at the harmonious attitude towards them. I still could only get a couple votes; it wouldn’t push me over the edge of acquiring the necessary two-thirds vote. I’m I missing something or is this AI truly smarter then I think it is insofar as it recalls old slights and perhaps wants the title for itself? I did read the post about this but I’m not sure what points folks were talking about. :confused:

Furthermore, no nation’s ruler was elected the emperor in my long (two and a half wonderful weeks!) campaign. Has this happened to anyone? Are there elements that I am not discerning in my glee of conquering my neighbors?

I have a rather systematic approach to taking and managing provinces; a trait I learned and homed playing Lords of the Realm and the Total War tiles so I’ve never had problems with rebels or religious uprising in my first campaign. I rely on the politics and diplomacy inherent to really make wars and events happen however this can be tricky at times because if you do break relations with someone you entire rating drops with nearly everyone. Yet they do not declare war. Is there some way to liven things up a bit? It is not al that troublesome, but I’d like feedback all the same.

Thank you for you time and present advice.

Devoirs The empress

Shane
06-09-2005, 19:09
As to reuniting kingdoms, remember that this is the middle ages, and the term "United Kingdom" is out of the question, never happening in the Middle Ages. You can't reunite England from Scotland! It is only possible in vanilla version to reunite England from Normandy (on the Continant), which is historiclly accurate. You can reunite Ireland from any of the three provinces. Across the map there are many nations you can reunite, but you have to start as a kingdom that can do it, and fufill certain requirements. Nicea can reunite Bysantia, but not Spain!
From what I've heard about being elected, I think you have to be pretty much loved across Europe, marriage alliances with many, and being generally liked everywhere.

Empress Meg
06-09-2005, 19:11
So the game follows historic accuracy then? How do you explain the uniting of the Norselands per se?

Devoirs The Empress

Shane
06-09-2005, 19:14
It isn't always completely accurate, however (one of the main strengths of the game is to change history), and I don't recall Scandinavia being really united historically during the 1000-1350 period the game covers.

Empress Meg
06-09-2005, 19:48
Very well, I see your point, many thanks. Are there any more opinions on the matter?

Devoirs The Empress