PDA

View Full Version : Army size

Pikeman
25-10-2003, 17:05
Noob question here. Sorry if it's already been asked.

How many soldiers will you usually find in an army? 100? 300? As many as in Medieval: Total War (about 1000 men per side on the battlefield at once)? More? Help me out!:cool:

Frank Fay
25-10-2003, 17:14
It is not fixed yet. But what we can say is that you wont have tenthousands of units.

The final number of units will be determined by the following aspects:

1) How many can a player control ?

2) With how many units can we still keep the overview for the player?

3) How much does it affect the performance on the minimum spec's machine

In an early E3 build we had about 3000 Units clashing together on a normal machine
:)

Maybe it is important to mention that you dont control a single unit, you control a group of soldiers at once.

The Preacher
25-10-2003, 20:35
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Maybe it is important to mention that you dont control a single unit, you control a group of soldiers at once. [/B]

So I guess that means fixed formations att all times, like in Medieval:TW? If so, thumbs up :D

And when you create new units, will they come as a group, rather than individual soldiers?

Kevin
25-10-2003, 20:47
It is not fixed yet. But what we can say is that you wont have tenthousands of units.

The final number of units will be determined by the following aspects:

1) How many can a player control ?

2) With how many units can we still keep the overview for the player?

3) How much does it affect the performance on the minimum spec's machine

In an early E3 build we had about 3000 Units clashing together on a normal machine
:)

Maybe it is important to mention that you dont control a single unit, you control a group of soldiers at once.

I would say...:eek: :beek: :go: :O

Frank Fay
25-10-2003, 22:23
So I guess that means fixed formations att all times, like in Medieval:TW?

Yes, similar to that.

And when you create new units, will they come as a group, rather than individual soldiers?

You are right, you produce groups of soldiers.

golddigger
26-10-2003, 09:45
In the old RISK boad game, there were 3 different units. One represented a single army; another represented 5 armys; the lasted represented 10 armys. Something like that might work ???

I wanted to know if there is going to be an 'advantage/dis-advantage' ratio for things like defending; attacking; high terrain; low terrian. 'land vrs. water' units? Will armys being transported on ships have to disembark and form-up for an attack; or can they attack from the ships & make land-fall fighting from the get-go? Can shiploads of knights fight each other as would pirets, and can they 'board & capture' other ships? How about an Armada?; and even a covert attack like that of Sir Frances Drake?

Covert wars; patting a guy on the back (face to face) while you shove a knife in to it (under cover); would be real cool!!! Talking peace with a guy while you have others go to war and lead covert attacks against him would be cool too!!
:cheers:

Kevin
26-10-2003, 17:30
Yes, similar to that.

You are right, you produce groups of soldiers.

Yeah? Great!:hello: :go: