PDA

View Full Version : Gender and Power

Pages : [1] 2

Patrix
08-02-2004, 22:40
Im not sure if this question was ever raised, but I was curious if it would be possible to play a woman ruler. Dont forget, the middle age did see many women as rulers, I think it would be nice to able to.

hulkster225
08-02-2004, 22:51
Yea thats a good question, I haven't heard anything on that yet.

Castle Kingside
09-02-2004, 00:18
I didn't hear anything about that either, but I'm guessing it's a given that it will be possible. Like Patrix said, it's not like it would be historically inaccurate -- there were many female rulers. Perhaps the female avatars that are available on the forum are the female personalities in the game?

However, there will (supposedly) be female rulers around, men will obviously dominate the game's population in the form of knights; the bulk of the game's characters will be knights, and the only female I can think of is Joan of Arc (not sure about her, though). Still, there were plenty of other titles in the nobility that women weren't exempt from, so we should expect to see plenty of queens, princesses, and other noble ladies.

Henrik
09-02-2004, 00:44
I've asked about this a long time ago and i have also be asking for pics of queens and princesses in this thread (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312&highlight=queen) but they haven't really commented on it as yet nor are there any pics to look at :(

Patrix
09-02-2004, 01:04
You're right about the man domination of battlefields, and Joan of arc wore only a light chain mail. She was more like a symbol, than a fighting kick *** girl. All she would do is ride in battle with her banner flying high to inspire the troops. But many kings of middle ages didnt even step foot on the battlefields either. Leon of Castille, Prince John of England, Louis IX in France and Salh-eh Din(Saladin). None of them even had the chance to lift a sword. They all became ruler by their wits and charisma. And lets not forget Eleanor of Aquitaine, the woman who literally created knighthood and chivalry from scratch. All this to say, that victory can be achieved by somethign else than military might.

vanedor
10-02-2004, 05:29
as long as the game doesnt get full of Zena wearing woman sized plate armor... :P

Frank Fay
10-02-2004, 08:21
In KoH women can be Princesses and are a very important ....ladies on the board please excuse....ahem...."diplomatic assett". But we do not have female rulers. Isnt it enough to have them at home?:D

Elewyn
10-02-2004, 09:07
But we do not have female rulers. Isnt it enough to have them at home?:D ehm "happy" man spoke.:D

Henrik
10-02-2004, 10:13
Originally posted by Frank Fay
In KoH women can be Princesses and are a very important ....ladies on the board please excuse....ahem...."diplomatic assett". But we do not have female rulers. Isnt it enough to have them at home?:D

You're right Frank - females did infact held a great diplomatic value back in those days - but also in the 19. century we see this - our king Christian the 9th. (1818- 1905 ) managed to marry his children into both the English, Russian royal family and he had a son who became king of Greece:

Alexandra - the oldest daughter married to Edward the 7th of England
Dagmar married to Alexander the 3rd of Russia
Thyra married to Ernst August the duke of Cumberland
And his son Vilhelm became king of greece as georg the 1st.

So it’s quite obvious that it really gave you a “good hand” if you also managed to “produce” a few daughters in your marriage in those days.

Now can i/we some pics of the queens and princesses :p

Elewyn
10-02-2004, 10:41
Why do you thing Habsburgs became that powerful in the end of 13th century and contionued to be more and more powerfull?

They were good at "producing daughters" as you said. Then they married them for the most powerfull dukes, princes and kings and after all they inheired Bohemia, Hungary, Spain etc.
After 1276 Rudolph I. became king of Germany (step before emperor) he married his daughters to last Przemysliden kings and after all his grandson Rudolph became king of Bohemia(when doubled his relations by marriage of bohemian princess) after end of male line here, but he died soon.
Then they claimed bohemian throne again in 1437, but without succes (soon death again), but finally they succeeded in 1526, when inheriting Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, Lusitia and Hiungary, again by marriage!

Henrik
10-02-2004, 10:55
yeahh Elewyn :) - i'll take hat off for that Habsburg family they obviously knew how to play the political game back then.

Angryminer
10-02-2004, 14:07
No female rulers?
Let's think of the situation that a king dies. He has no son, but a queen. So the queen will get a kick in her pretty butt and the next knight claims the throne?

Angryminer

ZonerX
10-02-2004, 14:56
Originally posted by Henrik
yeahh Elewyn :) - i'll take hat off for that Habsburg family they obviously knew how to play the political game back then.

Female rule should be a nice feature,
Besides, I can imagine that female players would wanna have a woman to be king.

Only a lil problem with realism do, since then you could play with a pregnant queen, and she might die when giving birth, since that was like a major issue during that time.

Frank Fay
10-02-2004, 15:46
Let's think of the situation that a king dies. He has no son, but a queen. So the queen will get a kick in her pretty butt and the next knight claims the throne?
Yes...

Henrik
11-02-2004, 08:24
If that event happens

How is it decided which of the knights will gain the throne ? - if i remember correct Frank has once told us something about that we'll have to choose between three knights and decide which one will be the next king - BUT if there is a total of five knights - what will happen to the two others ? and why can't we choose between all five of them ? :scratch:

Elewyn
11-02-2004, 09:30
I think it's more about your 3 best knights rather than your marshalls. A king can be also one of governors, I guess.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 09:38
Originally posted by Elewyn
I think it's more about your 3 best knights rather than your marshalls. A king can be also one of governors, I guess.

but, how is it decided which of the five knights are among the three best :confused: - i'm still for letting all five knights have the chance to be the new king - the devs probably have good reasons to restrict the vote to just three of the knights ;) - maybe Frank can give us a comment ?

Elewyn
11-02-2004, 09:53
I guess that the best, the one with most experience. The same with governors, IMO.

But yes, Frank should answer us

Heretic
16-02-2004, 16:17
Ladies are great rulers. One lady-ruler can submit many her vassalage.
Btw in KoH will be ladies, who will rule. Or here wouldn't be a few ladies avatars.:cheers:

Haegemon
16-02-2004, 16:37
Originally posted by Angryminer
No female rulers?

Angryminer

Frank said yes, but this isn't diplomacy. If a female can't rule then could be better if that queen marries with one of their knights instead of being banned out of throne and used like a market's product. :nono:

For the female players this is a *******!!:eek: