PDA

View Full Version : Micromanagement or Macromanagement

Grinn
10-02-2004, 20:38
Long time drooler first time poster. This game looks incredible.

The act of zooming all the way out and into numerous cities concerns me. Is the gameplay intended that we have to tell each economic unit ( farmer, miner, etc ) what to do or will this be automated? If I'm trying to run a kingdom, this could become extremely complex.

Thanks,
Grinn.

Angryminer
10-02-2004, 21:08
Welcome to our forum.

Regarding your question:
No, peasants automatically go to work.

Angryminer

Henrik
11-02-2004, 09:03
Originally posted by Angryminer
Welcome to our forum.

Regarding your question:
No, peasants automatically go to work.

Angryminer

Yeahh, and thank you God ( or BSS ! ) for that :D - coz i'm simply fed up with the concept:

Click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field.

Lord Sandman
11-02-2004, 11:13
Originally posted by Henrik
Yeahh, and thank you God ( or BSS ! ) for that :D - coz i'm simply fed up with the concept:

Click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field - click on an idle farmer, click on a field.

Haha..You right guys...But I hope that "almost" everything will be automated, not all of options... And I hope that we will have influence on many possibilities in game ;):cheers:

ZonerX
11-02-2004, 14:44

Well, somehow micro and macro management should be optional,
Like if I wanna drag every worker to their jobs then that should be possible somehow.
If a player just want's to zoom out, and look at places to conquer and forget bout the small things that should also be kinda possible. Kinda a "No, get your hands of it, I'm a control freak" and a "you do it, I'm busy conquering the world" option.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 15:13
Originally posted by ZonerX
Well, somehow micro and macro management should be optional,
Like if I wanna drag every worker to their jobs then that should be possible somehow.
If a player just want's to zoom out, and look at places to conquer and forget bout the small things that should also be kinda possible. Kinda a "No, get your hands of it, I'm a control freak" and a "you do it, I'm busy conquering the world" option.

But even if there was a i-wanna-do-it-all-myself button you wouldn't have the time :eek: - in KOH you are in an overall control and things don't pause while you do something.

Jorghan
11-02-2004, 15:50
Well, the ability to delegate responsiblities (which in sense is the same thing as being able to chose between micromanagement or not) also represents how a larger kingdom is harder to control.

If you only have one realm you as the king have much more time to do all the small things, while if you have a large empire you have to delegate most of the work. I would really love a game that lets me delegate practically everything, but also lets me chose the color of my soldiers shoelaces if I want to. (But I'm not sure I want to be able to control individual farmers and soldiers. It's simply to unrealistic.)

ArmosaDrako
11-02-2004, 15:52

I agree, too time consuming, miss out on all the fun.

Grinn
12-02-2004, 17:01
I hope that they automate every petty thing but still let you get your hands dirty. I like to change the way "things work" just to see what would happen. Has there been any word on this from the developers?

Frank Fay
12-02-2004, 17:03
KoH will have automatization features, choice features and only manual features. It really depends on what subject. Too much to list them all. But the most serious parts, like Diplomacy or Espionage are manual only.

ArmosaDrako
12-02-2004, 18:05
I noticed in one screen shot, it looks like you can exile, accuse, etc...can you behead someone or execute for mutiny?? LOL

(not serious)

King Yngvar
15-02-2004, 05:51
Macromanagement for economy and micromanagement for battles please :)

Henrik
15-02-2004, 10:32
Originally posted by King Yngvar
Macromanagement for economy and micromanagement for battles please :)

Not in KOH v1.0 ! - maybe we'll get it KOH v2.0 - I think that BSS will use the first version to see what works and what don't ! then if the game sells enough - then i think we'll have a "small" influence on the next version by comming to the forum with lots of feedback and (constructive)suggestions ;)

Angryminer
15-02-2004, 12:13
I think that BSS will use the first version to see what works and what don't ! Hey, they have a whole staff of testers - they already know what works and what doesn't work...

Angryminer

Henrik
15-02-2004, 14:25
Originally posted by Angryminer
Hey, they have a whole staff of testers - they already know what works and what doesn't work...

Angryminer

Yes, that's true :) BUT ! they work round the game every day and probably put in between 40 - 60+ hours per week making this game, so no one can blame'em if they get sorta blind to the obvious - game developers are know to use "external" beta testers and why do they do that ?...... you can compared to if you had a painting at home on your wall - at first you look at it every day, but as time goes by you stop seeing it - although it still hanging there on the wall ! - there is also the self critisism issue - how many of us has the strength to look at a piece of work we have made and then tell ourselves "GOSH ! what a piece of crap - i could do better than that !" :eek:

please correct me if ya think i'm wrong - anyone :)

Zakath
15-02-2004, 15:17
One can go too far in either extreme here.

The macromanagement from hell game would be MOO3. To do well in it you had to let the AI do pretty much everything.....for me that became a boring case of watch the computer play itself. That was evil.

As for the micromanagement from hell game we have pretty much every RTS. Some are more manageable than others, but the pesants are plain old dumb.

IMO RoN struck a fairly good balance. You can assign your pesants to anything you want, but if you leave them alone for a lil while they head off to the nearest tast at hand.

Hoping for a lil more automated RoN version here. Just stay away from the evil MOO3 way of doing things! :P

Zak