PDA

View Full Version : Army and food

Pages : [1] 2

Henrik
11-02-2004, 09:26
I was wondering about wheter or not there is a limit to how large an army you can have, coz when you have an army you also have to feed it !

If it was possible to sorta blokade a realm or an island ( like England ) you could make sure that their army didn't grew too large and thereby making it easier to invade the realm.

So there should be an upper limit to the army's size IMHO.

Maybe you could use deplomacy and persuade other kings not to trade with a certain realm.

i'm not sure that the devs have thought of this one, but it would be nice if this detail would be implemented in KOH2 ( which many of us hope will come some day :p )

Frank Fay
11-02-2004, 10:19
I was wondering about wheter or not there is a limit to how large an army you can have, when you have an army you also have to feed it !
Each army can have max. of squads. There is a Knight skill which is granting additional slots, depending on the level. Also you are right, army needs food. And each army carries its own food, which can be refilled in towns/castles. If you keep an army from refilling food and the army starts to starve then the morale begin to drop = weakening of the army.

So there should be an upper limit to the army's size
That will be exactly in KoH.

Maybe you could use deplomacy and persuade other kings not to trade with a certain realm.
The trade in KoH is always Kingdom <-> Kingdom based. And you can ask another King to break all relations with someone else, which includes end of trade.

Henrik
11-02-2004, 10:43
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Each army can have max. of squads. There is a Knight skill which is granting additional slots, depending on the level.

That's nice to hear Frank :) - i'm really looking forward to see what those knight are capable of ( i think we are in for some nice surprises :) :) :)

Also you are right, army needs food. And each army carries its own food, which can be refilled in towns/castles. If you keep an army from refilling food and the army starts to starve then the morale begin to drop = weakening of the army.

Hey, that's something - GREAT :) - i'll guess this also means that an army will not be able to march all the way from spain to a place in the far eastern Europe without stopping to get resupplied - this also prevent armies from marching all over the place

The trade in KoH is always Kingdom <-> Kingdom based. And you can ask another King to break all relations with someone else, which includes end of trade.

okay, but this will not really help much if the realm or region is able to feed a huge army :eek: - but i'll guess you also mean trade = gold, so i'll guess that there could arraise a situation where you have the food to support an army, but not the gold - and then the end resault will be the same :)

Lord Sandman
11-02-2004, 11:05
Each army can have max. of squads. There is a Knight skill which is granting additional slots, depending on the level. Also you are right, army needs food. And each army carries its own food, which can be refilled in towns/castles. If you keep an army from refilling food and the army starts to starve then the morale begin to drop = weakening of the army.

That will be exactly in KoH.

WOW!! Great news... We know that army needs supply. But what about upkeep of army? I remember that in Lords2 there was upkeep in food and gold. What it will be in KoH?

Frank Fay
11-02-2004, 11:38
Well, thhe King has Gold and you can give realms gold from your treasury to increase their capacity or to help on a shortcome.

Lord Sandman
11-02-2004, 15:38
Well, thhe King has Gold and you can give realms gold from your treasury to increase their capacity or to help on a shortcome.

Well, is this means that certain realm supports army belonged to it with gold and food? Each realms will have separatelly economy? Maybye I'm wrong, could you explain me a bit, Frank?;)

Frank Fay
12-02-2004, 20:43
You support army with food but if a realm can not efford food to give to the army, the king can grant some gold to the realm from which that realm could buy food.

Henrik
12-02-2004, 21:01
You support army with food but if a realm can not efford food to give to the army, the king can grant some gold to the realm from which that realm could buy food.

If i understand you correctly Frank, then the king will function as the "central administrator" and he can ensure that the different states can sorta pay their "bills" by throwing some extra cash on the table if they need it - i'll guess this means that although you conquer other realms they will still have their own "local" economy.

hulkster225
13-02-2004, 02:34
When an army starts to starve does it actually lose men? Or is it just less effective in battle.

Elewyn
13-02-2004, 02:59
We already know we can get tribut pacis from other kingdoms. Can it be payed in whatever you want? Who is ordering how it will be payed. It would partly solve this problem.

Btw, idea written by Frank above seems to be very good. First interest of a king s his army, so he can buy some food from his peasants in provinces, governed and administrated by knights. Solution of one probem gets you another - rebelion from hunger. So army can defeat it, because have enouh food-high morale :)

Henrik
13-02-2004, 08:45
Originally posted by Elewyn
Solution of one probem gets you another - rebelion from hunger. So army can defeat it, because have enouh food-high morale :)

Nice idea Elewyn :) - but, from Franks statement it looks like it's only possible to transfer money not food :( - though i must admit that it would be nice if we also were able to take food directly from the general population - i know that the consequense would be that they would starve in order for the army could get fed - but i don't think that it will be like that, coz i'll guess that in order for this to work, you would have to have all the food in one big pile and then have a slider where you could decide food for population/food for army ratio - i have a hard time figuring out how it would be possible to make it differently :confused:

Frank Fay
13-02-2004, 09:26
I meant that the King grants gold to the realms to buy food. Army gets food from realms.

Henrik
13-02-2004, 09:45
I meant that the King grants gold to the realms to buy food. Army gets food from realms.

Yes, that was also my first impression :) - i'll guess that got a little carried away by elewyns' brilliant thoughts :blush: ( it reminded about another game ;) - where it also was possible to set the food ration for the peasants )

Lord Sandman
13-02-2004, 12:31

Great!!! Game is better and better. But I have another question:

Will it be possible to supply starving realm from another realm, which has enough food to help it? Will it be possible to transfer food and another supplies between realms? (something a'la supply by food to starving realm from another like in Lords of the Realm2). Could you answer, Frank?:D

Henrik
13-02-2004, 12:45
Originally posted by Lord Sandman
Great!!! Game is better and better. But I have another question:

Will it be possible to supply starving realm from another realm, which has enough food to help it? Will it be possible to transfer food and another supplies between realms? (something a'la supply by food to starving realm from another like in Lords of the Realm2). Could you answer, Frank?:D

That's a very good question - though it would be micromanagement, but still i'll guess that there are not a great difference between transfering gold to back a treasury or transfering food to back a storeroom for food :scratch: - so why not :confused:

Truka
14-02-2004, 01:06
If these troops are "professional soldiers" you would need a number of gold, too to pay the soldiers as well as you have to give them food, or do you have to pay once for a troop of men and give them just food regulary?

Henrik
14-02-2004, 09:21
Originally posted by Truka
If these troops are "professional soldiers" you would need a number of gold, too to pay the soldiers as well as you have to give them food, or do you have to pay once for a troop of men and give them just food regulary?

Hi Truka

Maybe this thread can help:

Battles, Sieges, and supplies... (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=933&highlight=upkeep+AND+army#post933) and this one: Realism (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=511&highlight=upkeep+AND+army#post511)

Hopes this helps ;)

King Yngvar
15-02-2004, 05:33
But you can "refill" when capturing an enemy town right? Looting should be pretty possible :D

Angryminer
15-02-2004, 12:23
When you captured an enemy town it is no longer an enemy town, but your town.
Okay, people will be very likely to start an rebellion in that realm, but basically it is your town. So you own the food/villages/etc. - and thus you should be able to feed your army there...
But don't recruit to many people there: Your army just slaughtered half of the population in consequence of the siege/war.

Angryminer

rado907
15-02-2004, 18:15
so if theres a limit to the number of men in an army, is there a limit to the number of armies (i.e. knights)? cuz it will be sort of boring if you fill all your possible knights to the full and cant make any more troops, even though your economy allows it.