PDA

View Full Version : War declaration radius

Winrich von Kniprode
24-12-2005, 01:00
Sometimes stupid things happen in KoH, and I bet you know that better than me. I mean, does it really makes sense when a nation that is at loads of distance of your country can declare war at you? No it doesnt. So it would be cool to somehow have a ''declare war radius''. This would be a simple a simple feature that would calculate your countries size and the size of the nearby countries to create a radius tool that would force you to declare war only to countries that are inside that radius. So if you wanted call an audition to declare war to a distant country, the ''declare war'' option would be deactivated if the country was out of your radius. Same thing would happen if the AI tried to do the same.
How could you see your nation's radius? Very simple. A simple button on the political view options would reveal to you your nation's radius when pressed.

Feedback plz :p.

Gallifrey
24-12-2005, 04:51
Sometimes a far-off nation will declare war on you at the behest of their allies, who may much closer to you.
I agree it is bizarre when a small nation on the other side of Europe declares war on you out of the blue.

Angryminer
24-12-2005, 12:38
Well, french troops successfully attacked Jerusalem, speaking historically. So what would your radius be?

Angryminer

weaz
24-12-2005, 17:47
yes, but radius doesnt count for crusades.

- I have ever known Cyprus at war against Novgorod :s

IDEA: It would be more realistic to start the game for example as muslim, and all your relations with other religion are uneasy, and with muslims friendly

This will prevent muslims fighting with catholics against orthodoxs etc.

it didn't happen in real

Timotheus
25-12-2005, 03:32
It is rather funny the way things end up sometimes! France was a mess, controlled variously by England (who had only one province on the British Isles) Wales (one province in the center and one on the Medeterrainean) Ireland, (controlling roughly half of the British Isles) Croatia (who also owned Rome), and Germany. France has since recovered some of its losses...but this game is none too realistic in a macrohistorical context! :lol:

Elvain
25-12-2005, 07:44
yes, but radius doesnt count for crusades.

- I have ever known Cyprus at war against Novgorod :s

IDEA: It would be more realistic to start the game for example as muslim, and all your relations with other religion are uneasy, and with muslims friendly

This will prevent muslims fighting with catholics against orthodoxs etc.

it didn't happen in real
it did happen

crusaders soemtimes were allied with some local muslim princes against Byzantines... what is it? catholics and muslims against orthodox :lol:

to the idea generaly:
I would rather welcome some kind of map-exploring and radius of sight

for example:
kingdom/sultanate would see all bordering states + all states bordering with them
principaty would see all bordering states + provinces bordering to them
duchy: only bordering states
county: only bordering provinces
empire/caliphate: everything

weaz
25-12-2005, 14:14
I'd say: don't start the game with all countries neutral, but make it more based upon religion, as it was in the middle ages.

Angryminer
25-12-2005, 16:41
Was it really? I can count endless wars of christians versus christians, muslims versus muslims, pagans versus pagans.
Religion was a small factor. And it's the same in KoH.
Oh, and don't think of the knight who rides into battle singing a prayer. That's a fairy tale that came up during romanticism.

Angryminer

Elvain
25-12-2005, 16:56
I would even say that it was even contrary.

There was much more wars inside religions that between diferent religions.
The diference is that wars inside one culture had clear rules which were mostly adhered while inter-cultural(inter-religious) wars were much more brutal as they were wars against infidels, against those who are not equal, and it was mostly forgivable to kill infidels while killing co-religionist was a crime

and if you ask for reason of it it is very easy: there was much more contacts between co-religionists than states of diferent religions and contacts tend to became conflicts