PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] Diplomatic Map

Pages : [1] 2

Angryminer
15-02-2004, 12:47
I just had the idea of a map which shows you the diplomatic relationships between all nations in the game.
[ Do you still remember those drawing in your history-books about the diplomatic relationships shortly before the 2nd World War? ]
The bigger a country, the bigger it's name. You can zoom into the map to see the smaller nations.
If two nations have an military agreement, they are positioned very close to each others and there is a line between them to indicate the agreement.
That way it would be much easier to keep track of the diplomatic events in the game (The Emperor of the HRE might think "Oh damn, now France, England and Lithuania joined forces. I think I should search some ally, hu?").

Angryminer

Truka
15-02-2004, 14:02
Perhaps it could make an overview of the realms easier, if not only the diplomatic situation but also the trade allies of these realms, the Position of the armies of the realms and perhaps not only the allies, to see enemies (not only of your own country) would ease strategical decisions, too, I think.
To add more realistics, you perhaps will be in need of spies to collect all these information (at least these, you wouldn't be informed of normally, that could also add the aspect, that you may hide certain informations, as well as your enemies. You may perhaps not be able to hide whole cities anyway).

Henrik
15-02-2004, 15:02
I have asked Frank whether or not it's possible to see the relationships a king might have toward other kings - unfortunatly Frank has not replied that subject (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=3404&highlight=relations#post3404)

Frujin
15-02-2004, 17:51
It is possible :)

Elewyn
16-02-2004, 21:40
Originally posted by Frujin
It is possible :) :cheers: :cool:

Henrik
16-02-2004, 22:30
Originally posted by Frujin
It is possible :)

That's great - i really look forward to know more about this subject - it would be nice with a screenshot :p

Haegemon
17-02-2004, 05:01
We will see if finally devs decide to do it. :cheers:

Pikeman
17-02-2004, 08:30
Here (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//english/screenshot.php?screenshot=0038&all=0045|0044|0043|0042|0041|0040|0039|0034|0038#) is a screenshot about diplomatic relations. The "relationship" bar is neutral, but tending towards hostile in this case.

Henrik
17-02-2004, 10:04
Originally posted by Pikeman
Here (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//english/screenshot.php?screenshot=0038&all=0045|0044|0043|0042|0041|0040|0039|0034|0038#) is a screenshot about diplomatic relations. The "relationship" bar is neutral, but tending towards hostile in this case.

although the pic is nice, it don't really show who the guy is releated to - ie. declaring war on this guy, whitout having any information about his relations to others, could potentially spell disaster for you - please remember that bar graph probably only show you how his "feelings" are toward you ! - and if you have a larger army than his, then this should not give you any sleepless nights.

Elewyn
17-02-2004, 14:51
although the pic is nice, it don't really show who the guy is releated to - ie. declaring war on this guy, whitout having any information about his relations to others, could potentially spell disaster for you - please remember that bar graph probably only show you how his "feelings" are toward you ! - and if you have a larger army than his, then this should not give you any sleepless nights. When thinking about this option. Had medieval king all these information?

It is really important to know who your potential enemy is allied with. You as a king should know it at least about kingdoms with which you're in contact.

Frank Fay
17-02-2004, 15:05
You will see all the relations in the audience window. The reason why you dont see it on this shot is that this part was not ready by that time the shot was made :)

Henrik
17-02-2004, 16:58
Originally posted by Frank Fay
You will see all the relations in the audience window. The reason why you dont see it on this shot is that this part was not ready by that time the shot was made :)

Then we look forward to see a screenshot of that ;)

Angryminer
17-02-2004, 17:01
Will I have to open a audience-window with every king, write down his relationships, write down the country-names in a map and draw lines between them to visualize 'factions' and spot a diplomatic isolated enemy-kingdom or will the game do that for me? (that drawing stuff)

Sorry if Frujin meant this, but his comment was a bit too short ;) .

Angryminer

Henrik
17-02-2004, 17:34
Originally posted by Angryminer
Will I have to open a audience-window with every king, write down his relationships, write down the country-names in a map and draw lines between them to visualize 'factions' and spot a diplomatic isolated enemy-kingdom or will the game do that for me? (that drawing stuff)

Angryminer

That's a GREAT idea Angryminer - i would really like to see that implemented :)

Angryminer
17-02-2004, 18:58
That's basically the content of the first post (see above)...
I just wanted to phrase it in a way every dev would think "People would hate us if we didn't implement that!".

Angryminer
[ :D ]

Henrik
17-02-2004, 20:36
Originally posted by Angryminer
That's basically the content of the first post (see above)...
I just wanted to phrase it in a way every dev would think "People would hate us if we didn't implement that!".

Angryminer
[ :D ]

Yeahh, but is still a great idea ( now i've said it twice...........or was the theird :D )

Frank Fay
18-02-2004, 09:33

There will be an overview screen called "political map". Where you can apply several filters, including diplomatic. There you can see the "whole picture". Seeing it in the diplomacy windows is showing you only that very kingdom's relations.

But you won't need to keep track of it manually....in fact it is changing constantly and you would be damn busy to do so. The political map will help you to keep the overview.

Henrik
18-02-2004, 09:57
Originally posted by Frank Fay
There will be an overview screen called "political map". Where you can apply several filters, including diplomatic. There you can see the "whole picture". Seeing it in the diplomacy windows is showing you only that very kingdom's relations.

But you won't need to keep track of it manually....in fact it is changing constantly and you would be damn busy to do so. The political map will help you to keep the overview.

That's nice Frank - coz, as you've said: "it is changing constantly and you would be damn busy to do so." and i also think that the game would just too hard to plan and beat if we didn't have this feature i.e it would be nearly impossible to keep track of the relations between the different kings in realtime if we had to write it all down on a piece of paper - so thumbs up for that one !

Frank Fay
18-02-2004, 10:05
With constantly I mean not in seconds or so... It will be in a well balanced way.

Berserkr138
23-02-2004, 04:49
A map that showed your diplomatic relations with everyone else isn't that bad of an idea if it changes and the changes can be seen. Superpower had several different maps you could see, one being diplomatic relations, but from what I remember I don't really recall seeing it change too much, even after I attacked someone's ally.